‹ Prequel: Somebody or Nobody?

Exposed

Summer is Gone

No Matter how much you want to be in love with someone, you can't force yourself. Falling in love happens, it's not a choice. That's why he never blamed me for cheating on him that one night. Because he knew that I wanted to be in love with him. But he also knew I didn't have two hearts. And the one I had was already stolen before we started this…I just hadn't noticed it yet… So he let me go, and in return, I loved him for that.

"That's not the right key!" Alec screamed towards Kyle.

"Alright master musician, you play it!"
Alec took the bass out of Kyle's hands and played the notes, he was better at it than Kyle. Amy felt a little proud of him. Kyle noticed her looking and smiled bitterly.

"Kyle, don't do that, you know I hate that." she said calm.

"What?" he asked.

"When you look like someone has stolen your pet." she said with a sudden clarity in her voice.

That's because in his eyes someone has, Alec thought. But he didn't say so, Amy would surely be insulted as she were referred to as a pet. He gave the bass back to Kyle and smiled.

"Thanks for not paying attention."

Amy grinned. At times Alec could say such nasty things to people he disliked at that point. But he's still say them with a smile. Amy did not know why Alec disliked Kyle all of a sudden. She herself liked him a lot. He was beautiful, funny and smart, what else could you have to be liked for? But maybe it was a girls thing to think like that. These were all things she liked about Kyle and Alec, so it was just dependent on your taste in people.

That night they all went over to Kyle's place. He and Layla seemed to have patched things up a little. Ever since Layla had slept over at Clary's place she had gone easier on him. Amy assumed Clary had talked her into doing that. It was a surprisingly hot summer day and they decided to eat on Kyle's tiny balcony. It had a good few over the town, which amazed Amy. She had never seen New York's skyline in real life, and now here it was. The orange sun made the city glow. Although the city wasn't extremely pretty in it's architecture, it still had something magic at this hour of day.

"You like it?" Kyle smiled as he put his arms on both sides of her, so she was locked between them. For a second she thought of Alec, what if he saw? But then she reminded herself it was alright to touch a friend, and then again, they barely touched at all. He pointed out some places to her at which he had memories. His stories entertained her. She felt very untroubled at this last day of summer. A sudden chill came over her and her strapless dress didn't offer much comfort.

"You cold?" Kyle asked in disbelieve.

"No, just a chill that came over me." she smiled.

"I can get you a sweater if you like." he said, already attempting to walk towards the balcony door. She grabbed his arm that still held the railing.

"No, just stay here and tell me stories." She said, as he put his arms back and hid his face in her neck for just a second.