‹ Prequel: Somebody or Nobody?

Exposed

Whatever they did, it was for the right reasons

That was the end of our band, it had hardly lasted two months. It was no one's fault really, but everyone blames one another. Alec blamed Amy, Amy blamed Kyle and Kyle blamed Layla. But they all did what they did, thinking they did it for the right reason. Alec felt betrayed by Amy, Amy felt tricked by Kyle and Kyle thought that Layla shouldn't have been so nasty to him in the first place, for which Layla blamed Kyle again. That's why there is no such thing as good and bad, they all thought that, whatever they did, was for the right reasons. And maybe it was better that it all had happened, because they finally realised that they could not all be happy as long as they were together.

-3 months later-

Amy laid her head on Kyle's lap and looked up to the sky. There were hardly any stars as winter was coming. She was surprised how long their relationship had lasted. She knew how Kyle was, but how could that stop her from being in love with him? He softly stroked her red hair, but she guessed he didn't even realise he was doing it. He just stared in the distance. That was one of the great things about Kyle, Amy thought, he didn't mind to sit with you for hours without saying a word, just thinking. Not that it was his only quality…

Alec had finally succeeded in paying the electricity bills. Clary had helped him with it since she stopped by three months ago. She had found the lack of light so disturbing that she had offered him to organize his bills for him. Clary was great really. She had moved in with Layla now, since Amy had moved in with Kyle. The thought made him sick. He hadn't spoken to either of them since Amy had confessed that she had in fact spend the night with Kyle. He had no idea how she was doing, and although he wanted to think he did not care, he did. He had known Kyle since forever, been through a lot with him. Kyle had been the one that had saved him from the bullies in high school. Kyle had taken him in and made him popular with a snap of his finger. Suddenly he hadn't been the schools punching bag anymore, he had been cool and eccentric, instead of just weird. Maybe that was worth enough to forgive both of them.
He grabbed his phone from the table and called Amy. He held his breath as the phone was ringing.

"Hallo Alec." Amy said softly.

"Is Kyle with you?" he asked her in a harsh voice.

"Yes…" she replied a bit confused.

"Good." he said. "I want to talk to the both of you."

"Should we come over?" she asked a bit stressed.

"No, please, don't bother." he smiled on the other end.

"Oke, then talk." she said, and he did as she asked.

"I just call to say I understand you. You were in love with him from the beginning. At first I thought you should have told me, but then I realised that you probably didn't even know it yourself at the time, until…" his voice faded a bit.
"I know you are not the person to do such a thing, I know you didn't want to cheat on me, you just wanted him over me. And for that I can't judge you. If he makes you happy, let him."

Amy felt tears in her eyes. If he would have gotten angry again, she might have understood, she would have said he should get over it. But that wasn't Alec, he was to sensible for that. It was the fact that he surrendered and forgave her what disarmed her. Kyle looked at Amy's face on his lap.

"What's wrong?" he asked as he wiped a tear from her cheek.

"Just put Kyle one Amy." Alec said southing to her. She did as he asked and handed the phone to Kyle, who took it in surprise.

"What's up Alec, you just made my girl cry." Kyle said annoyed.

"I don't want to insult you Kyle, I want to ask you something." Alec said still in a southing voice.

"Go ahead." Kyle said curious.

"I know you for what, six years now. And don't get me wrong, I like you. But I also happened to notice that you tend to hurt people, especially girls."

"Your point?" Kyle asked, suddenly very aware that Amy was still close enough to hear whatever he would answer.

"Don't do that to Amy, be kind, for once. If you want to break up with her, do it with grace. If this last long I know I can't ask you not to cheat, but at least make sure she'll never even notice." Alec knew asking Kyle not to cheat was a lost case, and asking him to hide it carefully didn't make it better, but at least Amy wouldn't get hurt that way. This wasn't going to be pretty by using justice, and he knew Kyle had learned how to cheat in his freshman year.

"That is the least I can do for you." Kyle said. "I promise you, I will."

"I hope you will keep this promise." Alec said.

Kyle rarely kept promises, but Alec liked to believe that his guilt would make him keep this one.