‹ Prequel: Somebody or Nobody?

Exposed

Maybe this was life...

The hot coffee hit Layla's arm as she walked trough the office. Some fat guy had spilled it on her. Ever since the band had broken up she had been searching for a decent job, she had found one now. Typist in an office wasn't so bad. Although the days went awfully slow at times, it got her money. Clary made twice the money she made, Clary worked at night. Layla had no idea what she did, she just hoped she wasn't a prostitute, but she didn't dare to ask. She was standing outside for a smoke and looked at her cell-phone. Should she call one of her friends, she hadn't spoken to any of them for months now, and she kind of missed them. Alec might not have been the most colorful company, but he was sweet, and for Amy, she hadn't wronged her in fact. But Layla wasn't sure if she wanted to be remembered how unlike herself Kyle's new girlfriend was. Amy was nothing like Layla. Amy was much calmer, she had her stuff together a lot more. Layla looked at the coffee-sting on her blouse, it really was a pity, it was a fine blouse. Her arm didn't hurt anymore though. Maybe this was life, Layla thought, working in an office and, as a high-light, occasionally bumping into a cup of coffee...

Alec looked at the screen. It was strange to see himself like this, all dolled up and...light.

"You look like an angel that just fell from the sky by accident." Jenna smiled.

"Glad you think so." Alec smiled.

The photographer looked at his face and then at the screen again.

"The boy does have something, I'm sure some brands would gladly have him."

"It's a face we can show to Prada, Chanel won't buy it, Calvin Klein maybe?" Jenna said.

"Show Prada for sure." the photographer agreed.

"Prada?" Alec asked astonished.

"Yes, you want to make money right?" Jenna asked.

"Yes, that's right." Alec agreed frowning.

He didn't like modeling, it was a bothering and tense job. But if he really would have work, he could make money. Maybe this really was the best way.

"Alright, show them." she decided.

Jenna smiled in approval.

Maybe this was life, Alec thought, taking the first job you get offered and see whatever happens, hoping you can pay the bills...

Amy looked at the headphones and the mic.

"Put them on Amy." a male voice said. "Now we record 'Heart of fainting' up until the bridge and then we instantly move on to 'Sorrow City'."

"Are we going to do 'The beauty of my sins' too, or is that tomorrow?" Amy asked.

"Maybe, we'll see." He said.

Ever since the recordlable had heard her sing they had loved it. They had invited her over to sing some demo's and here she was, with a record deal. Now she was recording songs she had actually composed herself. Mostly they were about her struggles with her feeling about Alec and Kyle lately. They were good, not brilliant, but good, Amy thought, good, not brilliant, but good...

Kyle looked at his mother. She sat by the window of their mansion and looked back at him. He hadn't visited her for a while, and she hadn't gotten better by that. She loved her son, it was the only thing she loved. They lived too far apart to stop by every weekend, she knew that, but she would have liked him around more. Kyle felt sorry for never being there, but he couldn't live at home until his mother would die, that would take ages, knowing his mother. He was sure that even a scary guy with a skull-head and a black cape would scare away for his mother Lilian. Even now as she sat there with her fine clothes and tea, she had some sort of power over everything that happened around the house. His dad had chosen Lilian for that exact reason, so he didn't have to handle things. Kyle was more like his father in that way, but Amy was nothing like his mother, so maybe he wasn't that much like his father after all. Maybe this was life, Kyle thought, trying to find yourself, but always being a little lost, no matter how close you get...

Clary looked at a picture of the band when they had still been together. Although it had been for a short while, she had been a fan. Amy was an amazing vocalist. It had been a charismatic group of people. Now they all hardly seemed to know each other, but she knew they all hadn't forgotten each other. Of course Kyle and Amy were good, so were she and Layla. No one had heard from Alec except from the one call he had made to Amy and Kyle. That was just how life was, Clary knew, pulling, pushing and letting go...