‹ Prequel: Somebody or Nobody?

Exposed

I always wondered if they had already forgotten us

I often heard Amy on the radio, she had her dream. I was happy for her. I finally had made my peace with Kyle following her everywhere. He must have really loved her, there was no way to compete with her anyway. Kyle had made her a rock-princess, and she deserved it a 100%. All I could just do was be a fan and watch her. She really was flawless, I always imagined how proud Kyle must have been of her, how sweet he must have hugged her after every gig. All I could say was that I was happy I didn't have to see it. It was strange to see the posters of her and her band on the window of music stores, just as strange as it had been to see Alec on windows of expressive stores. They had all made it, leaving Clary and me behind. I always wondered if they had already forgotten us, they never called me anyway, maybe they called Clary, but I never asked.

"That is 17 dollars total." the girl in the music store said to me.

I looked at her, she had done her hair the same way as Amy had on the cover of her CD. She must have been a fan.

"You are that guy from the DIESEL posters, aren't you?" She asked, tipping her head over a little.

"Yes." I said. "Have you listened to it yet?" I asked her referring to the record.

"yes, Amy Lockwood is the best, don't you think. I imagine her to be a really beautiful person inside. Someone that can write lyrics that beautiful and sing them with just must have a big heart."

"She has…" I said lost in thought.

"You know Amy Lockwood?!" The girl said astonished.

"I knew her, but our ways parted." I smiled as I left the store.

I couldn't imagine Amy had changed much. As I went home and put on the CD I was enchanted by five songs, the songs she had written. And with these songs I realised Amy was not living her dream, Amy was not happy, not happy at all. I had never heard such said melodies put to such strong but painful lyrics. It was a harm I could not protect her from. Instead of breaking up with her in his cold ways, Kyle had stayed…and he had developed some kind of obsession for Amy. That was, although not so enchanting, I repeated the songs written by him the most. By not feeling able to leave her, he wanted to posses her. So she could be his perfect princess forever. As much as I had always wanted to protect Amy when she was still with me, I wanted to protect her now. I had told him not to break up with her in cold heart, but he knew no other way, so he stayed. And somehow I felt this was my fault. So I grabbed my bag and ran to the subway. I bought a ticket for the concert, a ticket that cost me half my money. Front row, so she could at least see me, and maybe be reminded that there always was a way out, and that you are never trapped forever, no matter how strong the lock.