Status: I hope you will like my story. :)

Within Two Minutes

Selection to the championship

A week later
It’s Friday – a selection to the World Championships in basketball. A BIG DAY. It’s my dream since I was 8. My dad was a legend of basketball so it’s clear that he wants me to be as he used to be.
It’s 4 p.m. and I entered to a changing room. I heard greetings from all sides. “Cheerio, guys!” I waved my hand. “Good afternoon, dear Jack Maurice.” “Hey, man.” “I don’t know why but always when I say your surname I recall the lemur in the cartoon ‘Madagascar’.” I laughed. “You’re a witling, again!” Everytime I start talk about it he goes berserk.

During the training I couldn't concentrate at the game. My mind was full of thoughts about David. I dribbled with a ball slowly. I imagined his perfect pink lips, his messy hair, his smile, his eyes I love…Suddenly a ball landing at my head interrupted my imagines. “Ouch, that hurt!” I touched my head at my hurt. “It’s YOUR turn, Bouvier!” The coach screamed. “Don’t think I’ll select you to the representation if you act like this! I’m talking to you for a long time! And you’re just ignoring me! I don’t want you to act like this…you’re skipper!!!” He shouted as in the gym became silence. “I’m sorry, coach.” I said quietly and stepped in front of basket. Luckily, I didn't overpass.

All of us walked into the changing room. We were nervous. Our team contained 20 members and coach had to choose only 12 players. Everybody wanted to be there. It’s a dream of every teenage boy – to get to the top. I had a bad conscience because of my bad behavior.

After a while the coach came in. We exchanged glances and were like a cat on hot bricks. “Okay, I have a selection. I’m gonna read your names.” I eyed all the faces as he read the names. I was nervous. “…10th is Maurice, 11th is Williams and 12th …uhm…Bouvier.” Then a stone fell from my heart. I respired.

Then I walked to the showers. I turned the tap and let the water flow down along my body. I tousled hair with my wet hands and started thinking about him…David. Again. I thought I should spend more time with him and I would know all about him little by little. The thoughts ran the circles in my head. I had no concept of time. It seemed as a minute but a loud voice interrupted me. “Hey, imbecile! Get out of here! You’re here for almost 20 minutes. Scram!” It was the most bumptious boy in our team. “Don't be pissed!” I said vigorously and got out of the shower. That’s true I was except.