Status: rewriting this because I've got a better idea

The Devil Within.

Introduction

“So we’re moving to a small town in California because Uncle Judas says some magical tree has been given life again? Or something like that.” I ask, my dad as he packs up a U-Haul.

“Well when you say it like that, it just sounds stupid.” My dad chuckles as he tosses the box, clearly marked Fragile into the back of the moving fan. I’m pretty sure I heard glass smashing when the box met the floor.

“You know, your wife is going to kill you if there is any broken glass in that box.” I point out as we head back into the house.

“She’s your mother, Arian.” Dad sighs, “I know she doesn’t exactly show it, but she does love you.”

“I’m just a soldier to her, Tessa is that one she loves.” My dad stays quiet, knowing I’m right. Honestly the only reason why my Uncle Judas and my mom don’t get along is because she treats me like a soldier.

“I’ll talk to her, Arian.” My father tells me after a good five minutes of agonizing silence.

“It doesn’t matter anymore, Dad.” I say, forcing a smile. “She’s going to treat me like a soldier until the day I move out. And even then, she’ll treat me like one. No matter what you or Uncle Judas say to her. She doesn’t see me as a daughter, only a soldier…”

**

Later that night, we check into a hotel room in some city, in a state I’m not sure of. I honestly slept most of the trip. Sleep is a lot easier than making small talk with my Dad.

I walk out of the bathroom, drying my hair, and see my sister curled up with her penguin Pillowpet; crying.

“Hey Tess, what’s wrong?” I softly ask, gaining the seven year old’s attention.

“We’re moving because of monster’s, aren’t we?” She asks in a small, vulnerable voice.

“I could lie to you and saw we aren’t but I can’t do that,” I begin to tell her, “I wouldn’t be able to protect you from something you didn’t know is going to attack you.”

“They’re going to hurt me?” She sounds scared, genuinely scared.

“Not if you’re wearing this,” I reply with a smile as I lean over and take my Hamsa necklace off the nightstand. I put it over her head, laying it nicely on her neck. “Nothing evil can hurt you as long as you wear this necklace. It wards off all evil.”

“A silly necklace does that?” She asks, playing with the charm.

“Yes, I silly necklace does that,” I laugh, messing up her hair a bit. “And if the necklace doesn’t work, those monsters have to go through me to get you. I’ll never let anything hurt you, Tessa.”

“Promise?” She asks, looking up at me with big brown eyes.

“I promise.” I smile as I pull her into a hug, “I’ll protect you from everything bad, or die trying…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Arian

re-writing this because 3B has given me a better idea that fits the story title better. Plus I didn't like the original idea anymore.