Status: This is a gay novel.

Demon Stones

Dreams

Jarin ran all the way to his chamber, asking a servant to find Adriel and Rodney for him. He packed as quickly as possible, knowing he was not planning on returning any time soon. His father had all but admitted to killing Breely, with his insinuations. Jarin did not feel safe in his own home, and knew he needed to help Devin and his men with their mission. It had become his, as well, the moment Breely had been killed.

As soon as he had packed all he could fit in the small bag, Jarin heard his door open. Freezing, he turned to find Adriel and Rodney standing there. Adriel saw what he was doing and, without asking, ran out the door to pack his own things. He knew Jarin had a good reason for leaving, and was not going to abandon his friend.

Jarin turned to Rodney, who was silently helping him pack his things. "Are you coming with us?"

Rodney shook his head, not meeting Jarin's eyes. "I can't. If I do that, it could come down on the two of you. I'll stay here, and find out as much as possible. When I have, I will be sure to relay it back to you."

Jarin understood his logic, but was worried. He remembered what Devin had told them about the spy he had employed in his father's army, and did not want to risk that happening again. "I don't know if that would be the best thing to do, considering what my father is capable of. It might be best..."

Rodney held up a hand, shaking his head. "No, it'll be better this way. Just trust me," he met the young noble's eyes. "I know what I'm doing."

Jarin shook his head. "So did Breely."

Rodney closed his eyes, momentarily. "I know he did, but the only reason he died was because he saved me. His plan would have worked, if we hadn't been surprised," he was quiet for a moment. "I will back out as soon as it's too dangerous. I promise."

Jarin sighed, hugging Rodney tightly. "Alright, but be careful. I couldn't bear to lose you, too."

Rodney pulled away quietly, kissing Jarin lightly on the lips. "Sorry, I had to. I have been dying to do for a long time," he blushed. "You be careful, too. I'm pretty sure he will go after you as soon as you leave. Be sure to take all your weapons with you, and keep that necklace on."

"I will," Jarin smiled at him. "Thank you, Goldenrod," he used the nickname the soldier had acquired as a child, due to his bright, golden hair. "Please, don't be too nosy, though I'm sure you know how to be sneaky."

Rodney took Jarin's face in his hands, staring into his eyes. "I'll miss you, and I will keep you updated on things here."

Jarin nodded. "I will, too," he reached up and kissed Rodney on the lips again. "Goodbye, for now."

Rodney smiled, touching his lips where Jarin had kissed him. "Bye."

*******************************************************

As soon as Adriel was ready, they left, cutting through the trees in a detour, so it would be more difficult for his father to follow. As soon as they reached the camp, Fletcher and Kain met them.

"I see you two are joining us," Fletcher was smiling, but looked tense. "I'll help you get settled. We already made room, just in case you decided to join us," he walked over to a tent, placing their things inside. "I'm sorry, but you will need to share, until we can find better accommodations," he smiled at them.

Kain walked up to their tent. "I think it would be best if you stayed here at the camp, for now. That way, there won't be any danger of your father finding you," he smiled at them, to Jarin's surprise.

Jarin smiled back. "I already figured as much, but thank you."

Kain looked over his shoulder, where two people on horseback had ridden into the camp. "Uh...excuse me," he ducked his head out of the tent, hurrying into their direction.

Out of curiosity, Jarin watched as he approached them. One was a large middle aged man, who was still on his horse. The other was a young woman with light brown, wavy hair that was fixed in a braid. Kain was talking to the man, at first. When he dismounted, he took both out the horses.

The young woman turned back to Kain, hugging him tightly, with a bright smile on her face. Jarin noticed that she was wearing breeches and a sword, along with a few knives. Jarin couldn't help feeling a bit of jealously, as the two walked down toward the corral. Kain had a big grin on his face, as he talked to her, which was so different from the way he acted around Jarin.

Nodding to himself, Jarin began unpacking his things. 'Figures', he thought, shaking his head.

************************************************************

That night, Lord Nathaniel called a servant into his quarters. "I need you to bring a certain soldier to me." He wrote down a note, handing it to him. "That is his name. Hurry."

The servant bowed to him, then left.

Five minutes later, he returned, along with a young soldier. The servant bowed again, then left.

The soldier smiled at him, bowing. "What task do you have for me, my lord?" He kept his eyes lowered in deference.

Lord Nathaniel smiled an empty smile back. "I need you to keep a close eye on one of your comrades for me. I will tell you his name later."

The soldier nodded. "My lord, you do not need to mention a name. I already know who you are speaking of."

"You have learned well, my messenger," Lord Nathaniel smiled at him. "Now go."

**********************************************************

That night, they all ate dinner around the campfire, talking and joking. Jarin found it much more enjoyable than the dinners he had eaten at his father's manor. It was not nearly as practiced and tense, and he felt like he belonged there.

After dinner, Fletcher caught Jarin. "Is something bothering you?"

Jarin shook his head. "No," he lied. "I'm just tired. It's been a long day." He walked over to his tent. "Goodnight, Fletcher."

"Goodnight," Fletcher shrugged, going to his own tent.

Once Jarin had made himself comfortable, he turned to Adriel. "So, what do you think, so far?"

Adriel smiled softly. "It feels so casual here. I just hope it turns out to be a good decision to leave."

Jarin nodded. "Thank you for standing by me. You're a good friend."

Adriel nodded. "Of course. I would do anything for you."

**************************************************************

That night, Jarin dreamed again about demons, but this time he saw Kain unleashing them and controlling them. It seemed to be against his will. He grabbed the shorter man, holding him tightly, and the demons disappeared. Kain felt so good in his arms, and he felt like he had someone to take care of.

***************************************************************

Jarin woke up suddenly, panting. He also noticed that he was already halfway hard. Smiling, he tried to calm himself down, but could not keep his mind off of Kain. He felt like there was something drawing him to the light haired man, besides his good looks.