Status: This is a gay novel.

Demon Stones

Kain

Later that afternoon, Jarin was approached by a young man with wavy, auburn hair.

“Hi, you must be Jarin,” the man smiled at him. “I’m Fletcher,” he leaned his lanky frame against a tree, studying Jarin.

Jarin glanced at him, then returned the smile. “It’s nice to meet you,” he was drawn in by Fletcher’s easy manner. “How long have you been here?” he asked the question straight out.

“About six years. Devin found me in the woods, beaten up. He brought me back here, and this is my life now.”

“He’s a good man, isn’t he?” Jarin observed. “He seems to take care of this place.”

“Yeah, he does,” Fletcher smiled again. “Hey do you want me to show you around?”

“Sure, I would appreciate that very much,” Jarin stood up from the log he had been sitting on and followed him.

**************************************************
Early there next morning, Kain was called into Devin's tent. When he got there, Devin asked him to have a seat. He was counting money, so Kain waited quietly, until he had finished. His leader finally turned to him, putting the bag of money away.

"Good morning, Kain," Devin smiled at him. "I called you here, because I have a favor to ask of you."

Kain nodded. "Okay. What do you need?"

"That man we found yesterday is the son of Lord Nathaniel,” he studied Kain's face for a reaction.

The younger man glared. "Is he, now? Does he do the same things his father does?"

Devin shook his head. "I'm not sure. That is exactly what I wanted you for. I need you to keep an eye on him, along with you friends. I believe he is already comfortable with Fletcher, so it shouldn't be very difficult to get to know him."

"Isn't he going back home soon?" Kain asked, almost hoping.

"Yes, he is. That is why I need you to do this. If he is working with his father, he could go back and tell him everything about us," Devin stood up, offering a hand to Kain. The young man took it, pulling himself up. "So, will you do this for me?"

"Yes, Sir. However, why did you ask me, instead of Fletcher of Emery? He seems to like them more than he likes me."

Devin smiled. "I'm not so sure about that. I think you will work better. Just be yourself around him."

Kain sighed. "I don't know if I can do that. If I get to know him, and he is not trustworthy, it'll be that much more difficult to be around him."

"I know, but we have to take that chance," Devin smiled at him. "Personally, I don't think he knows anything."

"Okay, I guess I'll go find him, then," Kain smiled back at his leader.

"Thank you, Kain," Devin gathered the money bag again, handing it to him. "As a great start, why don't you see if he will go into town with you? I need you to take this to the officials. Just tell them you found it," he grinned to himself. "I have also compiled a list of supplies I need you to get for us."

**************************************************

Kain found Fletcher and pulled him aside. "Devin needs us to go into town to get some supplies. He wants us to take Jarin with us."

Fletcher grinned at him. "Sounds good. That way, he can get to know you better. You have been avoiding him like a plague."

Kain rolled his eyes. "You should ask Em if he wants to go with us."

"Of course I would ask him to go," Fletcher grinned at him again. "I'll go find Emery, if you could get Jarin. He should be with his horse. I think he has a love affair with her, or something."

Kain snorted. "That's just creepy," he patted his friend on the back before leaving.

Kain found Jarin in the corrals, feeding his horse some grain. The young man had his auburn hair pulled up off his neck, which looked quite nice. He turned when he heard Kain approach. Setting the bucket down, Jarin smiled at him.

"Hello," he said, running his hand down Shadow's side, examining a cut.

"Uh...hi," Kain found himself very nervous now. "Devin wants us to go into town, and I was wondering...I would like you to go with us." Kain wanted to stab himself for stumbling over his words like he was.

Jarin smiled at him. "Sure." He turned to the shorter man. "Just let me put some ointment on this cut, and I will be ready to go. Could you hold her for me? She's not going to like this very much."

Kain sighed, talking the grey mare's rope. He watched silently as Jarin put a generous amount of the green paste on her side. Jarin was very gentle with her, murmuring inaudibly to Shadow as he rubbed it in. Kain began to wonder if he was like that to people, or uncaring, like his father. He was beginning to think that would be impossible.

Jarin straightened up, cursing softly. "I will not be able to ride her home with that injury, unless I do not use a saddle," he grinned at Kain.

"She isn't a horse to ride bareback."

Kain smiled back. "I'll bet. She's a beauty, though."

"Thank you," Jarin reached up to take the halter off of Shadow, his hand brushing against Kain's in the process. He shivered, pulling his hand away, along with the halter. Walking toward the gate, he opened it, motioning for Kain to go before him.

**************************************************
The four young men rode into town, Fletcher and Emery talking to Jarin the entire time. Kain, on the other hand, stayed silent, feeling awkward around the young noble. He knew Devin had wanted him to talk to Jarin, but he was finding it difficult to just be around him. He decided it would be better to just watch him and learn from his actions. He didn't care that he was taking the coward's way out.

They got to the city treasury, where Kain went in alone. After handing over the money, he returned to the others. They headed to the market next, where they were quite certain Jarin would not be recognized very quickly. Kain continued to watch him quietly, but every time Jarin spoke to him, he gave him as vague answers as possible. This seemed to bother Jarin, but Kain couldn't help it. He didn't want to get to know someone who might turn on him.

They finished their shopping and made their way back to camp.

**************************************************
When they got back, Jarin took Fletcher aside. "What is Kain's deal? He doesn't seem to want to be around me," Jarin frowned. "I just want to know what I did wrong. He has acted odd the entire time I have been here."

Fletcher smiled at him. "It's nothing you did. He just isn't very trusting of anyone. It usually takes a lot of effort to get through to him, but once you do, it's worth it. Just keep trying."

Jarin frowned. "I'm afraid I won't be here long enough. I'm leaving as soon as my horse is better."

Fletcher shrugged. "Your time is what you make of it, if you know what I mean. Just like your life."

***************************************************

Part Ten

The next morning, Jarin got up early, so he could speak with Devin. He found the older man sitting by the fire, talking to Kain and one of the other men. When he approached, they fell silent. The man he did not recognize glanced at him, then left. Kain continued to work on the saddle he was repairing, without looking up. Devin touched Kain lightly on the arm. "Hey, if you will excuse us, I would like to have a talk with Jarin."

The blond man started to move the saddle, but Devin stopped him. "No, don't leave. We're gonna go into my tent."

Kain smiled at him, still avoiding Jarin. Without a word, he went back to his work.

Devin grinned at Jarin, getting to his feet. "May I have a word with you?"

Jarin laughed softly. "That is exactly what I came out here for. I need to speak with you."

"Let's go into my tent, then," Devin patted Kain on the shoulder, then walked over to his tent. Jarin followed him, sitting down on the stool he was offered. Once Devin had also seated himself on a similar stool, Jarin turned to him.

"I appreciate everything you have done for me, but I should be getting back home soon. My father has probably already sent out a search party. The only concern I have is my horse's side, but she will probably be okay, if I go easy on her. It's not very far to ride, anyway."

Devin took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "I agree that you should go back, so your father doesn't get too worried. However, there are a few things I would like to discuss with you, first," he paused. "It has to do with your father."

Jarin's eyes grew wide with surprise. "What do you know of my father?"

Devin sighed. "More than you might think. One of my men met him many years, when he acted as a wealthy merchant," he paused, looking at Jarin. "Jarin, do you know anything about magic?"

Jarin glared. "I know I don't like it. It was the reason...never mind," he stopped, not wanting to tell this man he barely knew about the death of his lover. He had not trusted magic since then, even though he did not understand it very well. It was the reason Breely had died, and he did not want anything to do with it. His heart was mending very slowly from that, and he didn't see it as any of Devin's business. Clearing his throat, Jarin smiled weakly. Fingering his necklace, Jarin felt a familiar ache in his heart. Closing his eyes, he replied quietly. "I do not understand the way magic works. Why are we having this conversation?"

Devin smiled at him gently. "Because, I believe your father is involved in it. Not just magic, but dark magic. He has been studying it for many years, and doing experiments."

Jarin was about to protest, when he remembered the spell books his father had been so determined to retrieve. He had been wondering why his father would have anything to do with spell books. It seemed odd that this man would have the answers, but it was worth a try. He took a deep breath, then looked back at Devin. "My father's advisor mentioned something about spell books having been stolen, and I thought it odd that there would be books of that kind in our manor. They were searched for a few weeks later, and..." he paused, feeling a lump form in his throat.

Swallowing hard, Jarin continued. "...they found some of them, but not the one my father was mainly concerned about. I have been wondering why my father would want any kind of spell books, especially dark ones."

Devin looked at him, seriousness in his eyes. "I ask this because, like I said before, I know people who have been affected by magic, directly. I also know it was your father's doing."

Jarin shook his head. This didn't make any sense. His father was a high lord, not a magic user. "What happened? What do you know?"

He asked, surprising Devin by being so calm about it. He wanted to know the truth.

Devin smiled at him. "Are you sure you want to know all the information I have right now? It may change the way you view your father."

Jarin nodded. "I have had my own suspicions for the last few years, but have never investigated him. I would like to know what you know about him, so I can find out the truth."

Devin sighed. "If you are sure, I'll tell you later. I think it is important that you go back to you father, so he doesn't get worried. If you look around his study, you should be able to find something connecting him to magic. When you do, I would like to know what you find."

Jarin smiled at him, knowing the older man was stalling from telling him the entire truth. He also knew he was right about going home first. "Alright, I'll look around when I get home. Thank you for everything."

Devin smiled. "I am very glad to have met you."

Jarin stood up to leave, turning to Devin. "Why did you not suspect me, if you do my father?"

Devin shrugged. "I did, at first, but now I know it is impossible that you are involved in his actions. You are a good man."

Jarin smiled. "You are, also. It has been a pleasure meeting you, and I will get back to you when I find out more."

Jarin left, walking to his own tent to get ready to leave. While passing the fire, he noticed Kain still sitting by the fire, finishing the work on the saddle. The shorter man, glanced up at him, but said nothing. Jarin continued on to his tent, and packed his things quickly. He wanted to get back, so he could find out answers for himself.

After saying goodbye to Emery, Fletcher and Devin, Jarin looked around for Kain. He was hoping to say goodbye to him, also, but the light haired man was nowhere in sight. A little disappointed, he got on his horse and left.

***************************************************

Kain watched Jarin leave, glad he had been able to avoid Jarin. He had never been good at that, and he hated the awkwardness of saying goodbye. He also knew that he had not made the best impression on the other man, so he didn't want the young noble to leave with bad thought about him.

When Jarin had ridden out of sight, Kain returned to camp.