Status: CHAPTER NINE UP - READ, COMMENT AND REC! PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

You Me & the Dead

Chapter One

It happened out of nowhere. There was reports that people were getting sick and dying and becoming reanimated like in a horror movie attacking other people, eating them alive.

Suddenly we were all rushing towards the center of Atlanta where they said help would be and there was a gigantic explosion. I didn't know what to do but being only seventeen I followed my mother in the car and was stuck on the highway with hundreds of other families; our cars over packed and stuffed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely prepared for a zombie apocalypse which is what this is - but every time someone mentions that my Mom shook her head. "Mom, are they saying anything on the radio?" I asked from my position on the roof of our SUV.

My Mom fiddled with the switches. I heard the static before she said anything, "No sweetheart." I shade my eyes with my hand and gaze out among the cars. The sun was high in sky and I could see the horizon stretch in all directions; but what I saw started to scare me to death. A herd of walkers was headed up the highway towards us.

I couldn't scream it out loud, it would only bring them on faster.
"Mom, mom!"

I got her attention with urgency in my voice as I slid off the car.

"What is it Lexi?" She sounded so worn out. I don't blame her for that.

"Mom, there is a huge group of walkers headed for us - we need to hide. Under the car or on top. Something!" I threw my hands up in emphasis so she wouldn't second guess me. She simply nodded and climbed underneath the car and I followed. A lot of families around us had heard me talking and were following suit - that and screams were starting to be heard from cars miles ahead of us.

We soon started to see dead straggling feet pass by and after perhaps an hour they were all gone and my mother and I sighed relief. Mom got out from under the car first then me. I was brushing myself off when I heard her scream.