Status: CHAPTER NINE UP - READ, COMMENT AND REC! PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

You Me & the Dead

Chapter Eleven

I was so lost in our kiss that it wasn't until Rick was yelling that I noticed anything had happened at all. "Come on we need to secure the fencing so they can't get in! Daryl I need you up here with us, if she wakes up-"

That's when, as careful as ever Daryl picked me up bridal-style and carried me towards the group. I could now see that we were off the highway and in the middle of a cleared out meadow. What was really strange about it though was it looked as if there was gigantic tree houses built all around us with big bridges built between them.

"Daryl, what is this place?" I asked and everyone turned at the sound of my voice.

When they saw me in Daryl's arms I quickly saw looks of disapproval come and go fast, "Lexi, you're awake that's great but we need to get you rested up before you can do anything. So Maggie will help you up to one of the houses-"

That's when Daryl cut him off, "She's gonna stay with me, Rick."

I saw this very paternal look come to surface on Rick's face as he gave a hard look to Daryl who stared, hard, back at him. I knew that as a father Rick did not like the age gap between me and Daryl and that was fair but in an apocalypse can you really afford to be that choosy or self righteous? Rick then looked at me sorrowfully.

I didn't get what he meant by this at all. It probably was because I had only known Daryl for a week - consciously and ten days in a whole.

"Do you want to say something to us, Rick?" I asked as if I had no idea in the world what he was staring at us for. Rick said nothing and walked off. I watched him go and I was reminded off his injury from before I blacked out and saw that he had fresh bandages on his stump.

I looked at Daryl, "Is he okay, now that Carl's back?"

"Still off like he is but not at bad." I nodded halfway clueless on the meaning.

"But this place?" I asked again as Daryl helped me up a metal step ladder. "Used to be military training - took two days to clear all the bodies out. Plenty of weapons and supplies left." I nodded even though he couldn't see me from down below. When we got to the landing, Daryl stepped around me and pushed open the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE