Status: Quack!

Dear Diary, I Want to Set Yu on Fire

Ch1 - Week One, Day One

My life has been rather interesting so far. I've lived in England with my mother and father for 4 years (ever since I was born) until my dad died in a car crash. Then when I was 7 my mother found another guy named Hans Bulshmit (I used the last name from Hetalia, sorry if I spelt it wrong) who she then married when I was 8, and had a kid with him by the time I was 9.
...

Despite the fact Hans wasn't my real dad, he did treat me very well, and he tried to treat me as equally as my half-brother Lukas. I admit, he can be rather embarrassing, like all parents are, but I appreciate his effort all the same.
...

Anyway, we lived that way happily until I was 13 when Hans was offered a good job back in his home country, Germany, and he agreed to it. So we all packed up and made a new life in Germany. Luckily I picked up German very well, since I already knew the basics very well thanks to Hans, and Lukas was raised in both German and English, so he was fine too.
...

Mum struggled to learn German and had to take a course to help her keep up, she had to stop work to focus on it. Luckily though, Hans was earning enough to cover mum's course and make up for her having to take the two years off.
...

Now I'm 15, and I regularly cook and help clean the house since Hans and mum work full time (although Hans finishes earlier than mum, he has no idea what to do in the Kitchen so it's up to me, I swear he'd burn down the house if he had to cook for us!) and Lukas helps with the cleaning, although his required chores focus more on the garden and getting with of any spiders in the house (one thing me and Hans have in common; we're both terrified of spiders).

....
Now, today is my first day of High school. This however, wasn't just any High School, I'm going to 'Fairy Tale Abitur', otherwise known as 'Fairy Tale High' in English. It's a very prestigious school and one of the few in the world that teaches more than the basic magics. Once Lukas was old enough, he'd be joining me too.
...

Mum is the only one in our little family that can't use magic, apparently I get it from my dad, where the line has been dormant for a long time. Mum thought that being around Hans and Lukas awakened it for me, but I honestly didn't care HOW I got it, all I cared about was that I had it.

...
Anyway, that sums up my life up until now. Enjoy this year's diary... if it survives that long.
~*~*~*~
Monday
.
.
.
6.30 am
Normally I wouldn't be up so early, but Lukas (my pain in the ass half-brother) decided that nope! Halo needed to wake up early. So he came in a dumped water on my head, which pissed me off enough to throw a fireball at him and almost singe my uniform!

The little snit.

So I had a shower and dressed since I was already up. All I had to do was heat the air around my hair to dry it (having heat and fire powers are ace!) and I wrapped my usual bandana around my forehead before I sorted out my make-up. A little foundation and powder to start off with, then I outline my eyes with liquid eye-liner, put on my false lashes, put on more eye-liner and drew some patterns around my eye with my eye liner. I finished off the look by putting purple, sticky gems on the pattern and I put some skin coloured eye shadow on my eye lids.

I was a first year in High School, so my uniform skirt was violet, a perfect match for my make-up and recently dyed black hair. My hair was long and it curled at the ends, and my eyes were a deep grey. I smiled. Perfect.

I had to wait to dye my hair more than one colour next year. A "16th birthday present", but I wanted to dye my hair now!

"Halo! Hurry up or you'll be late!" Hans shouted from downstairs.

I sighed and hurried downstairs and, like every other morning, I had cereal. To make Hans try to provide anything else food-wise was just asking for one of the cooking appliances to explode.
.
.
.
8.30am
I get to school early to get my schedule from the office and to find my locker. Luckily I had all the lessons I usually enjoy today; Literature, English Language, Art and Study Period.

I usually used Study Period to hide out in the library and catch up on my homework. I liked the quiet. The only was I was a stereo-typical pryokinesis was that I had a temper when provoked, although it's hard to provoke me, once you find out how, I'm quick to get angry.

So, I got my schedule and found my locker relatively easily. However, once I had to find the classroom, that was another problem altogether. Normally, I wouldn't ask anyone for help cause people either laugh at me to take it as an invitation to be my friend, which it isn't.

I sighed and checked my purple wrist-watch; 08:50, if I didn't find my class soon, I'd be late and possibly get detention. I glanced around but everyone seemed to be avoiding me, and the only ones who seemed approachable were these guys who wore their hair and make-up similarly to me.

Only one of them (a small boy with blond bangs and the rest of his hair brunette) was in my grade if his purple tie and jumper was anything to go by. One of them I recognised; Yu Phoenix was the son of Hans' friend. He was actually quite nice and he was a year ahead of me. He and two others wore the blue uniform, and the tallest man wore the green uniform to signify his last year.

No longer so nervous now that I know one of the boys I approached them, they seemed to laugh over something and Yu was pouting like a little puppy as I approached. "Hey, Yu?" I said, nervous to interrupt but eager to get a move on.

"Hey Halo!" Yu called and he wrapped an arm around me as he pulled me towards the other boys. "Hey guys, this is Halo Grey, my dad's friend's step-kid."

Yu has always been rather simple, his view on life, his love-life (or lack of) and how he socialises, although he can be a tad blunt. This wasn't how I originally wanted to introduce myself to others, I'd make the best of what I have.

"Hey," I greeted shyly with a rather flimsy excuse for a friendly smile.

The others didn't seem to mind too much though.

"I'm Kiro," the boy in my year greeted me, like I said earlier, he was small and he had a mixture of grey and green for his eyes.

"I'm Strify," a boy with a similar hair style to Kiro greeted me, he had a nice smile and blue eyes.

"I'm Shin," the other boy in the same year as Strify and Yu said with a shy smile, his cheeks were flushed and he seemed to find it hard to look me in the eye. Odd.

"I'm Luminor," the tallest, and the oldest boy greeted me. He smiled and held out his hand to me, which I shook. He had lond dark hair, and his eyes were a piercing blue. His smile was pleasant, and he seemed to practically ooze the term 'mysterious'. Yeah, I had a thing for goth guys.

I blushed. "Um, sorry to cut this short, but I have no idea where my class is, and only 5 minutes to get there."

"Where's your class?" Yu asked as he snatched my schedule from me. "Oh, just go upstairs, turn left and keep going straight until you reach the end of the corridor. Just look for the door with the nameplate 'Adelina'."

"Thanks," I said. "I'll see you later!" I yelled over my shoulder as I ran for class; I hated being late.
.
.
.
9.10am
I was late, just my luck.
.
.
.
12.00pm
Having lunch now, the food here's nicer than what they had in my Middle School. I might go to school more often simply for the food. Well, if I didn't have my magic that is.

You see, in Magic Schools they usually had some of the normal classes like Languages, Literature, Science and Maths, but there were Magical classes and extras that we could take.

The Magical Classes were basic knowledge for any witch or wizard, so we had to pick one normal and one magical extra class so we could blend in the secret magical society and the 'normal' one.

I picked elemental classes, since I'm so gifted with fire (much to my family's horror). My extra was art, which I had later today.

Lunch was quiet, I was able to sit with Kiro and another new guy named Romeo, but conversation was little awkward since I was 'a woman of few words' as my mum nicely pointed out to me. (Translation: I'm more of a listener than a talker) Kiro was a little shy and I think I scare him a little, either that or he wasn't having a good first day. Romeo however liked chatting but even he was running out of subjects to talk about.

"So what kind of magic do you guys want to specialize in?" Romeo asked as he fidgeted awkwardly, however, his curiousity seemed to keep him here.

"Fire Magic," I answered with a smile. "I developed early, so I don't really have much of a choice."

"Really?" Kiro asked, now more comfortable. Hm, maybe he was an early bloomer too, or knew someone who was. "I want to try elemental magic too, but I'm not sure what to pick."

I shrugged. "Just don't chose Wind Magic, you have to be even more stubborn than a bull to tame that kind of magic."

"Do you know someone who uses Wind Magic?" Romeo asked, now just as curious, and he wasn't as awkward.

"My step-father uses it, both his family and my family on my dad's side have Elemental Magic blood in them," I said before I sipped on my juice.

"I thought you could use any kind of magic," Kiro protested, looking more than a little confused.

"Only if you're the first to ever use it in your family, or if your personality conflicts too much with the Magic in your family's bloodline. The best example is if you lived in a family that did elemental magic but had more of a temperament for Demon Summoning," Romeo explained.

"First generation Magic User?" I asked Kiro sympathetically, who nodded, now shy again. "I'm the first in my blood family, besides my half-brother, to use magic in three generations. My mother was surprised when I developed Fire Magic, she honestly thought I would be more of a Ritual Type, with how scholarly I am."

"What's a Ritual type?" Kiro asked.
.
.
.
2.45pm
So Romeo and I spent most of the lunch period explaining most of the Magic Types to Kiro, and once the bell went, I joined Kiro and Romeo in Art, where Kiro helped me with the charcoal we were supposed to be using.

My paper just looked like a black smudge monster attacked it, and I set the corner of Romeo's work on fire when he laughed at mine.

"What kind of magic do you want to use?" I asked Kiro as Romeo finally put out the fire, and earned the wrath of our teacher. Currently Romeo was ignoring me. I needed to find out what shampoo he uses, his hair looks like black silk!

"I don't know, probably some sort of Healing Magic," Kiro replied thoughtfully.

"You'll need to earn about the human anatomy, so you'll have to probably take extra science classes next year," I told him as I glared at my paper.

"Hm, or maybe Mind Magics," Kiro added thoughtfully, and he didn't protest as I peered over his shoulder to look at his drawing. His little bowl of charcoal fruit looked amazing.

"You'll need a lot of discipline for those, but you seem like the type to be good at them," I replied with a shrug. "Nicely done by the way."

"Oh, thanks," Kiro replied with an uncertain smile. "I still have the rest of the year to decide."

"Indeed you do," Romeo replied, now over with his little sulking session. "I want to try a particular Mind Magic - Empathy Magic."

"That'll be complicated to learn, but I'm sure it'll be worth it," I replied, trying but most likely failing to sound comforting.

"What's Empathy Magic?" Kiro asked as he finished off the last touches of his picture.

"It's a type of Magic that allows you to feel the emotions of others and, if you're powerful enough, control them," Romeo replied. "It's possibly one of the most peaceful magics that exist besides Healing Magic."

Normally wizards and witches with that type of magic usually make good police or negotiators, or even protectors. They just want everyone to get along, even if they have to enforce it. Their hearts are usually in the right place, although I've never come across one before so I don't know for sure.

"Ok class, bring your artwork over to my desk and you can have the next 10 minutes to have some time to talk to your friends," the teacher called. Once we had done as she asked, Romeo, Kiro and I huddled at the back of the class room.

"Do you guys have any of my magic classes tomorrow?" Kiro asked, once again being shy and nervous.

"I have Defence Spells and Spell Detection tomorrow," I said as I glanced at Kiro's schedule. "I have Defence with you tomorrow before lunch and I think Romeo might have Ritual Theory with you after lunch."

"Cool," Kiro replied with a small smile.

"I think I have Spell Detection with you tomorrow," Romeo told me.

I checked over his schedule. "Nope, I have it first lesson, you have it on second."

"Damn."
.
.
.
4pm
By the time I got home, I promised to come in early to hang out with Kiro, and join him and Romeo at lunch tomorrow. I had FRIENDS and that was odd, normally my stand-offish behaviour drew them off.
I also had Romeo's number, and Kiro had admitted that he didn't have a phone, and so I promised to join him earlier at school to catch up with him. Romeo texted me not long after I got home, but I was interrupted by Hans.
"Hey Halo, how was school?" He asked me. Lukas was watching the german version of american idol on tv, I could hear him laugh over some of the contestants' bad singing.
"Not too bad, I think I might have friends," I replied, still in a little shock.
"Oh? Who?" Hans asked as he looked over some documents at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee, he tried some but grimaced; it was likely cold.
"Two guys named Romeo and Kiro," I said as I grabbed Hans' mug, emptied it and proceeded to make another cup of coffee for him. "I have Romeo's number, but I haven't texted him yet, and I think Kiro's a little scared of me."
Hans chuckled; "Well, your no-nonsense attitude and your appearance can be a little intimidating."
I snorted in amusement. "That was the understatement of the century," I replied as I passed him his new cup. "I'll get changed and put the washing on before I make dinner."
"I had something before I left the office, and your mum was called in to do a night shift, so it'll be only you and Lukas eating." Hans warned me. "Thanks for the coffee."
"No problem," I said with a smile. "Just try not to over-work yourself." There have been times where he's fallen asleep at the work table from where he lost track of time. I swear the man's a workaholic.
.
.
.
9pm
I just finished today's homework so I could focus on tomorrow. I made Lukas and I some instant noodles (luckily he's not fussy about what he eats) and I managed to do two loads of washing and my homework before it got dark.
I also spend most of my after school hours texting Romeo, although I told him to bugger off once I started my homework, but once I finished at 8 I started texting him again.
Romeo was actually kind of interesting, he seemed to be a bit of a romantic, especially when he confessed that he liked 'Romeo and Juliet', but he also had a bit of a fascination with the more... 'grey' magics such as Mind Magics and Demon Summoning.
He was set on using Empathy Magic, but he was also curious about the other, more questionable magics. However, I wasn't too worried, each branch of magic had it's own stigmas, I wasn't as close-minded as some about what type of magics a person should or shouldn't do.
~Is it just me or was Kiro acting weird earlier today? R~
I read Romeo's text and I frowned before responding.
~I have a tendency of scaring people without meaning to :P H~
The return text I received was almost instantaneous.
~lol you fail. R~
I replied with dignity.
~Screw you :P I'm going to bed, I promised to meet Kiro early :P H~
~Nerd, talk to you tomorrow, night x R~
I wasn't sure whether to add an x or not, most people did it to someone they fancied? Did Romeo fancy me? Nah, very unlikely.
~Night, H~

Just to be safe, I didn't add one.A
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you guys think, it's my first Cinema Bizarre fanfiction :)