Sequel: Bloom
Status: For a contest

Flourish

Butterflies

Bambi is hard to miss, not because she is beautiful but because she glides rather than walks, she smells sweet like honey and her eyes are so big and innocent, she is hard to miss and he cannot tear his eyes from the petite blonde girl with skin as pale as snow sitting in the middle of his classroom.

As he stares at the timid girl he is reminded of a more innocent time, he does not know why but this small girl with the pretty eyes makes him wonder, he wonders whether she is happy or sad, he wonders whether she has noticed him or not, she wonders whether she is okay or drowning. He stares at her, her face reveals nothing; she turns to stare at her teacher and notices his intense look. Bambi is uncomfortable, she doesn’t like when people look at her.

It’s okay, she tells herself, he won’t hurt you. Bambi smiles because out of the corner of her eye she swears she saw something, no one else may notice it but she does, the soft wind that gently brushes the leaves from the ground, she notices a small fairy dancing and she smiles. Bambi knows it is silly to believe in such childish things but when her childhood was stolen she did everything to get it back.

Bambi was seven when it started, at first he would just come and talk to her, say sweet little things and whisper compliments into her hair, she didn’t really understand it was wrong, she thought he was just being an uncle. When she was 7 and three quarters he climbed into bed with her, she tensed at his touch but he did not stop. When she was 10 he took her innocence, Bambi would squeeze her eyes close as tight as she could and picture pretty things, her uncle was a dragon and she was a princess just waiting to be saved.

Bambi is 16 and still waiting for her knight in shinning armor, although the dragon has gone away the memories still haunt her. Bambi is fidgety and needs to get out, she needs some air, the room is too small and she cannot breath. Bambi hates herself for remembering, she hates herself more than anyone else, why can’t she just think of pretty things like tulips blossoming and butterflies flying high above her, it is okay now, she feels better. Bambi smiles, she is happy thinking of pretty butterflies.
♠ ♠ ♠
And it felt like butterfly wings against her skin
Image