Sequel: Bloom
Status: For a contest

Flourish

Dracula

Bambi sits at the dinner table hastily spooning her peas into her mouth, she is not rushing because she is hungry, she is rushing because at 7.30 Ryan is going to call her and they are gonna watch a movie together over the phone. Bambi isn’t actually hungry in fact she feels kind of sick with butterflies and nerves, Bambi enjoys it.

“Are you hungry tonight Alice?” He father chuckles, Bambi pauses swallowing her mouthful, she stares at her father, he is in his early forties with dark brown hair, Bambi gets her white blonde locks from her mother, he has a teasing smile on his lips and he reminds Bambi that not all men are evil, just some.

“I just want to watch a movie” She explains,

“Which movie?” Her mother asks,

“Dracula, the black and white one”

“Oh, I love that film” Her dad says with a small smile, he glances at Bambi’s mum and they share a secret smile, Bambi wishes she could share a secret smile with Ryan soon, maybe after tonight she will, “You should watch it with us”

Bambi freezes, “I can’t” She says quickly spooning her mouth full of mashed potatoes so she has a minute to think before answering, “It’s for English and I need to make notes, so I can’t get distracted”

“Maybe next time” He dad suggests, Bambi’s plate is not empty but the clock on the wall says it is 7.25 and she cannot sit here for a second longer, she will go absolutely mad if she does. She pushes back her chair thanking her mother for dinner and planting a small kiss on her fathers forehead,

“Oh Alice one more thing” He mother calls to her, “Your uncle is bringing his girlfriend to come stay with us as well” Bambi pauses, girlfriend, a smile breaks out on her face because he has a girlfriend and she is safe, she is safe to see Ryan and not worry about her uncle, he is dating again. Bambi smiles she is very happy for her uncle but mostly for herself. She waits till she is out of view to run up the stairs to her room, she locks her bedroom door not something she has done since her uncle left.

Ryan places the copy of Dracula in his DVD player and checks his watch, he gets in bed and tries to occupy himself for the next three and a half minutes, Ryan does not want to call early and seem eager, so he waits. At 7.29 he grabs his phone and slowly punches in Bambi’s name in his contact list calling her. Bambi sits in bed her phone in her hand and her TV paused at the menu of the DVD, the second her phone rings she jumps and answers it pulling the receiver to her ear, “Hello?”

“Hello Alice” Ryan says, Ryan somehow manages to sound completely unfazed and not nervous despite the fact he nearly dropped his phone when Bambi answered and that there is sweat forming on his palms, “How are you?”

“I’m good, you?” Bambi asks in a small squeak, “I’ve never done this before” Bambi admits,

Ryan misunderstands what Bambi means and agrees, “Me neither, a date over the phone isn’t a normal date for me”

“No” Bambi says quietly, “I mean date, at all”

“Oh”

“I’m sorry” Bambi says quickly, “I shouldn’t have mentioned that, I’m such an idiot sometimes”

“No, I… I like knowing I’m your first date” Ryan cannot control the smile that springs to his face, “Ready to watch?” They start the movie, the watch the majority in comfortable silence commenting on the movie, Ryan unable to keep the question in any longer asks, “What was you first kiss like?” Bambi remembers hand grabbing at her night gown and a tongue on her stomach but she does not remember lips on her, her uncle never kissed her, not once and Bambi is suddenly very very grateful her lips remain untouched.

“I haven’t been kissed before…” Bambi doesn’t really want to hear about Ryan kissing other girls but she is interested, Bambi is not silly she knows Ryan will have touched other girls and made them smile and laugh in pleasure, she wonders if he will ever kiss her, “You?”

“I was 13, it was with my neighbor”

“Did you love her?”

“Kissing someone doesn’t mean you love them” Ryan answers truthfully, Bambi remains quiet, she stares at her TV as Mina walks through the garden late at night, she lets out a small scream as Dracula wraps her in his cape, “Alice?”

“I’m sorry I got scared” Ryan wishes he was there to hold Bambi and kiss her lips till she feels safe again but he is in his bed across town so he opts for what he hopes are soothing words,

“It’s okay Alice,” Ryan pauses before he adds the rest, “I won’t let anyone ever hurt you”

“Promise” Bambi asks in her sweet little girl voice,

“Promise” Ryan repeats his heart beating very fast in his chest.

“I like Wednesdays” Bambi says finding it much easier to talk to Ryan over the phone, without him staring at her with his pretty face she has a mock confidence,

“Why’s that?”

“I get to end my day with you” Ryan chuckles at Bambi's answer,

“I like Tuesdays”

“Why?”

“I like starting my day with you”

“What did you think the first day you met me?”
“I thought you had the prettiest blue eyes, I thought you were crazy sitting inside reading a book but mostly I thought you were really pretty and very very quiet… I was almost sure you didn’t like me”

“I thought you were different, not many teachers pay attention to me and when you did I was so confused”

“Why?”

“Because you’re so… handsome and I’m so awkward” Ryan smiles at Bambi’s compliment,

“You are beautiful, everyday in class it’s a struggle to stop myself from staring at you” Bambi bites her lips and lets out a giggle,

“I like dates over the phone”

“I would like to be able to see you though”

“I’ll see you in class tomorrow” Bambi whispers also desperate to see her teacher and touch him, feel the warmth of his hand and the butterflies he makes crazy in her stomach.

Ryan has been so focused on his conversation with Bambi he has not noticed the movie has finished, he checks the time on the alarm clock on his night side table it is getting late and he can hear Bambi yawning, “Go to sleep Alice” He says quietly,

“I don’t want to” She says sounding like a petulant child, Ryan laughs,

“I’ll see you tomorrow, goodnight Bambi” He says, Bambi smiles at his use of her nickname, it sounds so sweet and perfect coming from his mouth, she doesn’t hate the nickname so much anymore. With tired arms she turns off her TV and lays on her side,

“Good night Mr Carter” She says with a yawn, for the first time in a while Bambi dreams of wonderful things, the monsters in her dreams are defeated by a prince that looks a lot like Ryan and he kisses the princess who looks like Bambi, she sleeps with a small smile on her lips. Ryan falls asleep imagining Bambi’s smile; he sleeps peacefully with his young student in his dreams.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't look so sad, it's only a dream.
Oh they didn't tell you?
A nightmare is a dream as well sweet girl.
Image