Sequel: Bloom
Status: For a contest

Flourish

Fawn

Bambi sits quietly at a desk fifteen minutes before class, she doesn’t much care for recess and food so she sits and she reads wonderful books. She doesn’t even hear the door, her English teacher Mr Carter walks in, he pauses and notices how her thin wrists hold the large book tightly.

“I’m sorry,” He says almost afraid to disturb her, he is not sure why but he feels like he is violating her, it is ridiculous, he is her teacher and she is in his classroom dammit. “You’re in my English class right?”

“Right,” She echoes, she places the worn copy of Alice in Wonderland down on the table,

“I’m Ryan, sorry I mean Mr Carter, it’s my first year and I’m not used to be called by my last name, makes me feel old,” Bambi doesn’t laugh at his attempt at humor, he feels stupid now and hopes she doesn’t notice how his cheeks redden under her gaze

“I’m Bambi,”

“Surely your parents didn’t name you that” He says with a chuckle, Bambi watches with interest as his green eyes crinkle, Bambi likes the curve his mouth makes when he chuckles, she tries to mimic it herself but the expression feels foreign on her expressionless face.

“They didn’t, they named me Alice”

“Like the book”

“Exactly, except a rabbit in a waistcoat never lead me to a strange land”

“Why do you call yourself Bambi?”

“I don’t, not really, everyone else does, I remind them of the Disney movie”

“How”

“They think my eyes are big and innocent like Bambi’s”

“I don’t think you look like a baby deer”

“Fawn” Bambi says picking up her book again, she stares at the black and white picture of Alice and tries to imagine how boring her life would have been if it weren't for that silly rabbit,

“Huh?”

“A baby deer is called a fawn” Bambi replies she is no longer looking at Ryan and although he wants her attention he lets her read, she looks pretty with her lips pursed in concentration.

“So it is” He mutters turning away and writing today's lesson plan on the board, while he faces away Bambi tears her eyes from the book and to her hew English teacher, she deduces from his dress and lack of lines he must be no older than 25, a nice age she thinks, he is wearing jeans and a button down cardigan. He has messy handwriting but Bambi likes it. She imagines her neat cursive next to his messy scrawl; it brings a small smile to her face.

*

For three weeks rain or shine Ryan walks into his classroom fifteen minutes early just to see Bambi, he doesn’t understand it and he tells himself it is wrong, she is innocent and young and vulnerable and yet these are the same reasons he has to come see her. She sits every day in the same seat with a book, she studies it and when Ryan is not looking she studies him. They do no talk until today, she finds his voice musical.

“Why would you rather spend a sunny day inside then outside with your friends” He asks, it is a stupid question but he just wants an excuse to talk to her,

“I don’t like the sun and people don’t like me”

“Why not”

“I burn easy”

“No” He chuckles, her innocence is endearing not like most women who use it to be sexy, Bambi just exudes innocence and from that comes a certain sexiness, Ryan cannot believe he just thought that. “Why don’t people like you?”

“I’m a strange girl” Bambi says setting her book down, Ryan tells himself to walk away and leave her to read, but his body will not let him, Bambi stares at him with large eyes and he is sitting in a desk next to her inquiring about her book, she smiles as she speaks about it and it reminds him of why he became an English teacher, to see young people engage in actual books and see their passion.

Bambi is finding it a little awkward that he is sitting there talking about her book, other teachers generally take no notice of Bambi her big eyes and intensity makes them uncomfortable, male teachers often misconstrue her interest in school and become distant and make her feel awkward. She doesn’t mean to come across as a flirt but she just does, despite her childhood innocence Bambi knows sex, she has known about it since she was far too young and now she hates that she naturally possess it.

Bambi usually hates attention especially from males, but this is different, it is sweet and innocent much like she hopes to be. Bambi doesn’t mind discussing books with her teacher; she might actually even be enjoying it. It is strange but so is Bambi and she likes strange and so does Ryan.
♠ ♠ ♠
Would you want to wake up?
Image