Status: Taking it easy but still going.

Not So Hollo

Theif

"NO, I'll never be satisfied, and that is the truth."
-------------------------
I awoke in a cold sweat and with the remnants of my dream echoing through my head emptily. I sat up ignoring the complaining Runt. "Jamin, who in the Lady's realm is Jamin?", I pondered in frustration, "Dammit!" I can't even get a whole nights sleep without worrying about the damned voice especially so close to human residences. I scrubbed my face over with my hand and just sat on my pallet that was cooling from my body heat. The cave's shadows seemed to stretch on forever without any breaks of light. The fire had long ago burnt to embers and just lay smoldering and defeated without any fuel. The wind chattered as it whistled through cracks in the cave. Today had already started off poorly. I'm not entirely anxious to go back into town just yet.

The Lady had not even crossed the sky yet while I sat completely awake. Birds chirped apprehensively as they woke. I nudged Runt. He was laying at my feet twitching happily in his dreams. Most likely chasing rocky toads or fire squirrels. "Runt? Come on boy. Let's take a walk." I got up and threw on my cloak to shield me from the mist and dew that followed early mornings like these. Runt scrambled his little legs together as he fought to catch up with me. I had barely put on my boots when I heard Beasty's lowing from the field I had left him in. "Alright! I'm coming. I'm coming." I walked towards Beasty's field while scooping up the little Runt and placing him on my shoulders once more. I was about to head off for Beasty when I remembered my bow. I slung it over my shoulders quickly and strapped on my quiver that hung on my waist comfortably and silently.

Beasty wagged his tiny stump of a tail at my arrival. "Aw come on boy. You know I wouldn't just leave ya here. You wanna take a walk too?" I unpinned the spike from the ground that held Beasty in a 20 foot radius and coiled up the leash for easier leading. He stomped his feet anxiously and shook out his dusty fur. I led Beasty along enjoying the Lady's rays as they shone above the hazy mountains. Even her ray's could not shine through the confusion in my head though.

What all had happened yesterday? First there was the unusual activity of the voice then the flash backs. And of course there was the dream. I remember when I woke up from that black out. It was early in the morning, much like this one. Standing in the middle of the red stained street in the midst of so much death and blood. There was also a message the voice had sent in bold letters. Torn arms pointed hauntingly towards the house I had been living in for a few months. I followed the grotesque arrows that were meant to guide me to that message, but I think I knew what I would find before I had even gotten there.

The kindly old couple who had nursed me back to health after my fatal battle with the VE were completely mutilated. Their jaws torn away so they would not be able to offer guidance in the afterlife. They would forever be voiceless, never to whisper in the wind with the other souls. Limbs were also torn away and discarded. Their souls would be forever trapped in this cursed village in the mountains. Their pale and bloodless faces were stuck in a mask of horror and disbelief. Innards were smeared along the familiar walls I had felt so safe in. My new home also taken from me by an invisible monster. I could not simply track it down and kill it. I thought I already had, but I was wrong, so terribly wrong. This monster was smart and was not something that any hunter should ever trifle with. I could not be trusted to live with others anymore. I had learnt my lesson that day. I had changed that day. Forced to wander with out contact or companions.

The fear of an event like that happening again was all but comforting with the evidence of the voice's sudden activity and attention. This probably would not end well. But if there's anything that could help me, it'd have to be in that box. There had to be a connection with Dare's family and my unfortunate "condition". I cannot simply ignore these new memories and occurrences. They might lead me to a cure or at least to the people that did this to me. I'll worry about all that later.

We came to the same clear pond I had visited several times to restore my water supply. I was in need of a wash anyways. It was a fairly large pond too. with a tiny streak that trickled down a well built dam. I tied Beasty to a tree that was close to the water's edge so he could drink without getting lost or tangled in the thick underbrush. I set Runt down near my bow and quiver, stripping my dirty clothes gratefully. The air kissed my skin with mist producing goose flesh along my arms and legs. It was a welcome change. I quickly rinsed my gritty clothes and hung them on a nearby branch to dry in the rising light of the Lady.

I walked into the pond feeling the slick and smooth stones scrub at my feet. I walked until I could not touch the bottom and just let the water caress me. Now completely immersed in the water, I could hear Runt growl and bark at the water but if I blocked it out, there would only be silence. I floated back to the surface. My body temperature was getting accustomed to the cold water that made my toes and fingertips tingle. My breaths came even as I lay on the surface of the water just enjoying the sense of tranquility that was so rare these days. Memories floated to the surface of my mind. Things that didn't make sense. Things that could lead me to make connections.

Images and voices were a jumbled mix as they traveled and made bee lines across my consciousness. *

A pail of berries-"You can't do that!"-The creek in front of mother's garden-Tadpoles-"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry", someone screamed from the distance-Buzzing, constant buzzing-

Water closed over my body as I stopped breathing. I could see the water ripple then still as I sank to the bottom.

The buzzing stayed constant. It never changed in pitch until- "MOTHER!". I fought the darkness that clouded my vison by propelling myself to the crisp air of the morning. I gasped and heaved up water I had swallowed as I dragged myself onto the warming stones by my possesions. "What the hell was that!?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll be working on the next chapter over this weekend so don't think this is the last of it. I've been too busy to update on a weekly basis but bi-weekly works just fine for me. I hope you enjoy! Please comment on anything you liked, hated or thought about while reading.

Your servant- AJ