Status: Taking it easy but still going.

Not So Hollo

Meet Dare Wilson

Nearly two centuries ago mankind, blind with greed and hunger, almost destroyed the earth. Wars of unimaginable power had ravaged the land so badly that it is possible that nothing would grow on those Black Caters from the bombing. Every nation competed in developing an even more powerful weapon without further destroying the earth. They created Aiza.

Aiza were genetically modified animal hybrids given only enough human DNA to understand human hierarchy and the orders from their superiors. They were built to be stronger, faster and to last longer than any other organic soldier. Only the most aggressive and powerful DNA traits were used to make sure that their soldiers would be more than willing to tear apart enemies. They wore collars with a keen mixture of endorphins and dopamine to keep their murderous nature active. Their DNA was changed to pass down only the best traits. Venom, stingers, teeth and claws were the most dominant traits although some Aiza evolved to adapt on their own. Mutations between different breeds were extremely common. Cross breeding allowed thousands of combinations of Aiza to arise.

Aiza would be sent over into battle grounds to kill either their own kind or humans. They were trained to primarily kill humans. It was ingrained into their every thought. Battlegrounds were terrible places to be. They were filled with dismembered bodies of various Aiza and human units.

Even though the primary aim for Aiza was for warfare, to feed the growing and overwhelming human population and the forever hungry Aiza, herd animals were also modified. Cows, pigs, horses and a great many other common and uncommon animals were mutated to live longer, grow faster and be bigger to feed more people. Of course rare and extinct animals were re-bred into "muties" and collected by those who profited from the war that eventually consumed all. The beautiful and the powerful roamed the earth for the sake of human's greed and curiosity.

If Aiza were not used for war they could have been celebrated by scientists, but they still wanted them to be stronger. Their greed for more would eat them alive.

Eventually something had to ruin the perfect soldier, a mutated virus formed inside the brain in an overload of chemicals and engineering attacked the temporal lobe making the infected Aiza unable to control their blood lust. The super soldiers were able to break away from the control of mankind but at the cost of their sanity. Aiza attacked both sides becoming so feral that they would ignore their natural instinct to eat, sleep or run from danger. The Aiza destroyed three quarters of the human population. The world was left devastated. Populations declined even further without a government to help control their chaos. The Tower was built and Patrollers enforced the Tower's laws with rigidity.

However, not all the Aiza were susceptible to the virus due to the varied difference in their DNA. But the Feral were much different from the Aiza. They ultimately destroyed most of humanity in a wave of violence not seen since the one and only outbreak. The outbreak humbled the humans' greed into the simple will to survive from the many Ferals that chased with the need to kill that the virus amplified. Now only small towns struggle to survive with their limited resources. People had become primitive and guarded. Cities and largely populated area were reclaimed by nature. And many new creatures stalked the lands as the new masters of the world. Humans could rule no longer.

The Aiza could no longer be controlled by man but that did not mean they were out of their own control. Aiza could now control their own actions, animalistic actions but their minds were not clouded by the influence of humans. Even though they were originally born to kill, the Aiza still felt the need to protect their own, to run when outnumbered.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Damn. Damn. Damn...", I chanted under my breath. Why'd I have to take this way home? Three very threatening men had cornered me and all I had to protect myself is two crusty loaves of bread. I guess this is what I get for taking shortcuts down deserted alleys, or half deserted judging by these fringers that still linger here.

"Hey kid. Just hand over the goods and your money then we'll leave you alone", the leader said. He was clearly in charge since he stood a good head taller than the other two. The two followers just nodded an smiled with yellowed teeth when Leader guy spoke. They were skinnier than I was, but at least I didn't look like a drowned rat.

"Listen guys. You don't want to do this. This is all the food me and my father have for this week an-", I was cut off by him yelling, "YOU listen. I DON'T care about you and your daddy". He sneered when he said daddy. I looked down the alley full of crumbling bricks and other debris. I wanted to make a run for it. I was fast but I don't know if I'd be able to run past all three of them.

"Aaaaw, lookin' for ya papa lil' boy. kahahahaha!" Both of the rats laughed like they were choking on their own phlegm. Gross. But wait, I spotted someone at the end of the alley. He just stood there with arms crossed and posture relaxed. I couldn't make out his features or anything more than his cloak. He was like a shadow. While I was distracted the leader took my bag of bread with a grunt. I struggled with the small bag even though I knew I wasn't strong enough. I couldn't beat these guys in my dreams.

"HEY! Give that back! You don't deserve-". *SMACK* I laying on the ground from the force of his fist making contact with my face. 'Ow. I won't be able to hide that from father.' I clutched my cheek as it smarted. My eyes wanted to water but I wouldn't let them see me like that. I sat up and glared as hard as I could. If only looks could kill, then these guys would be cremated into piles of ashes instantly.

"You could've done it the easy way kid," Leader guy said.

"Yeah haha. The easy way". Those stupid rats, no scratch that and replace it with parrots, echoing that jerk. I looked again at the end of the alley, but the man disappeared. Why didn't he help me? That coward. I stood up but refused to say anything. They weren't going to get away with this. Father always warned me to stay away from conflict, but they don't deserve anything they don't work for. It's just wrong.

I was about to open my mouth to say something when I heard a muted thwang. Suddenly my bag was pinned to the wall by a white arrow with bright red feathers ruffling softly. It all happened in a matter of seconds. Four pairs of eyes went saucer cup wide when we heard a thump behind me. A cold bolt of fear leapt through me. "Uuuuh..."

I spun around to face the newcomer. He...he... wait a sec, men don't have breasts! 'Oh man! Why did I automatically look there of all places?'

" Why don't you boys go home before someone gets hurt?" She spoke softly but the confidence in her voice confirmed that she indeed had the power to carry through on her subtle threat. She pulled down her hood. I immediately noticed the silver. Everyone gasped. Wait, was I missing something? Those thugs seem to know who she is and she seems familiar, but who is she? I looked at the silver haired lady again and...

Oh, wow. She was beautiful. Her silver hair was cut short almost pixie like, but her eyes caught mine for a whole two seconds. Yeah...wow. One eye was a deep purple while the other was a light amber color. She looked so exotic.

"Well, are you leaving or staying to party?", she said while reaching for another arrow. The three stooges blubbered and stuttered, but retreated quickly. I saw her lip twitch upward. Maybe it was a half smirk. They looked scared. No, scratch that. Terrified. I didn't catch much of what they said but I heard nasty comments like 'little witch...we're never gonna see that kid again...demon chick...what's she doing here?" When they were out of sight she glanced at me before pulling up her hood and walking towards her arrow. I could have sworn I saw something move under her cloak while both her arms were pulling at her arrow.

My voice was hesitant as I spoke, "H-hey...um, thanks for you know...saving me". Her reply was to pull the arrow out of the wall and walk away. No 'Your welcome' or even 'Whatever'? "Hey! Wait." She paused to place her arrow in her quiver.

"Make it snappy kid, I got things to do." She didn't even turn around.

"Oh. Okay, I-well...what's your name? A-and why did you save me?" Damn my nerves to the fiery depths of a class seven Aiza.

"Hollo is my name, and for the record I didn't save you. I wasn't here at all, got it kid?" She didn't wait for my reply and walked quickly into the deserted streets. I grabbed my bag from the floor and ran out of the alley to catch her. When I got to the street I spun in a circle. How does she just disappear like that?

"Hollo...That's a strange name" I walked the long way home that day.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm liking this story. I don't know about my readers but this second chapter kind of explains a lot. Ooooh yeah baby! I'm so happy. This being my first story and all.
Try to comment or something :)

-AJ