Status: Working on it

The Demon Dealings

Hearts

A/N: This chapter involves graphic gore. If you’re squeamish skip first italics section.

You can see a lot in an instant. The mind can show you whole spans of time. It was part of the reason why I stayed out of people’s heads as best I could. Too much to see, too much you don’t want to know. But sometimes the things you don’t want to see, the things you don’t want to know are things you have to see in order to understand.

The human heart is where the power comes from. Without the heart the body and mind do not function. The soul ceases to be attached to the body. This is what will feed you when you are hungry and make you strong when you’re weak. The heart is the meaning of witch craft.

Some channel their powers through the elements; earth, wind, water or fire. They do not hold the same power that the heart holds. It is the most sacred of all. It is how you will complete the blood rite and I will be here to ensure that it is seen through.

It was a demon that was manipulating her. A demon that made her believe that she had no other choice. He led her through the dark to place where she would complete the blood rite.

Her coven was there, cloaked in darkness, a figure lay before them. He was already prepared for the ritual. A ring of fire burned around him. Jane stepped through untouched. Maybe it had something to do with the demon inside of her, maybe it was the witches.

No one said a word besides the demon in her head, chanting for her to do it, to get it done with so he could have his soul.

A man stepped forward handing Jane an ornate dagger. A dagger to complete the ritual with.

She felt as if she were on auto pilot as she walked forward. She paused when she recognized his face but continued forward shortly.

Her fingers trembled as she grasped his shirt, ripping it open. There it was. She could almost see it beating through his rib cage. It made her insides shiver with anticipation and her mind numb with fear. She took the knife and traced the skin over his heart and slowly dragged it over his sternum.

There was an unnatural wail as he screamed through the spell that was placed on him. He could not move, could not speak. He could only lay there and feel her cutting into his chest.

Blood dribbles down his side. A man who had been standing behind her caught the pool of blood in a goblet, saving it for another ritual.

She cracked through the ribs one by one and when they were all free she pulled them away from his slowing heart. She smiled lightly at it.

The power was overwhelming. Her own heart pounding in her ears yelling at her, telling her just how much she needed it. Slowly, she cut it from the cavity, arterial blood sprayed across her face. She let out a short laugh. It was here. The blood rite was nearly complete.

She lifted the heart in the air to show the coven that she had done it. She had taken a life and was about to steal the power. She would be a full-fledged witch.

She lowered the heart to her lips, taking in the coppery scent of blood. She took a vicious bite, coating her lips and chin in the sticky blood. It dripped off her chin as she swallowed the chunk whole. The taste of magic, the taste of a life force on her tongue slowly crawling down her throat.

It was something that no one would ever experience beside her and the coven of dark walkers. And like them, she couldn’t get enough. She devoured the heart, licking her hands clean. She let out a cackle as she finished.

The coven rushed past her, ripping at the body of the man lying on the ground. He was dead and his life force would go to the witches. It was what they did. What they lived for.

I pulled myself out of the memory, trying not to puke. I took in a deep breath to calm my nerves but they were not easily settled. I felt sick, I felt like I would feel this way for months as I tried to rid the memory from my mind.

“Witches, they’re not…” I cringed. “You killed Ian.”

“I ate Ian.” She elaborated, “I stole his life force.” She was much too nonchalant about it. I swallowed the bile rising in my throat.

“I just… It’s kind of a lot of handle Jane.” I ran a hand through my hair.

“I had to. I needed it; you know what it’s like. Once you make a deal you don’t go back and I needed this.” She trailed off, desperate for me to understand.

“I don’t know what it’s like. I haven’t made a deal. And I don’t plan on making one.” I was disappointed in her to say the least.

“How can you say that? How can you know for sure that you wouldn’t do it? That you would never make a deal to save your friend or get what you want.”

“Because I know. I know that what you get want and what you get are two different things. In the long run this will not end well for you. And I wish that you didn’t make that deal.” I took a deep breath and held it.

“I got what I wanted; I got what I asked for!” She cried.

“You asked to kill people? Did you ask to forget your friends and loose yourself?” I was calm; it was beginning to freak myself out.

“You don’t know! You can’t say that!”

“I have been looking for you! I have been trying to find you and now I have found out that the worst possible thing has happened! I can’t just sit here and listen to you tell me that you are a witch! That you killed Ian!” I could feel the tears rising, “how does something like this happen?”

“I asked for it. It happened because I wanted something and I went out and got it.” She defended, her eyes narrowed at me.

“But you didn’t know what you got yourself into! And I think, quite frankly that you still don’t understand quite the extent of it.” I shook my head in disappointment.

“Natsha-“

I cut her off and looked her strait in the eye, “I think it’s time for you to leave.”

I could tell that she wanted to oppose, that she wanted to duke it out, but I had already planted the seed, forcing her body to take her out the window and back to her own home. She was confused, unaware that I could have such an influence but I ignored it.

I’m still not sure why I went to school the next day. Between the image of Jane eating Ian’s heart and the knowledge that she was no longer human I was distracted. I nearly got kicked out of one of my classes and tried to merely survive the others.

When lunch rolled around I was completely exhausted and had half a mind to ditch but I refrained.

I sat down for lunch at the usual spot. The table was silent, there was a little bit of tension hanging around us. Half of the group missing and only one person really understanding the extent of what happened to both parties.

I sighed, “Something’s up. What’s wrong?” I asked Carys in hopes of getting my mind off of the insanity happening around me.

“I’m a little worried because I haven’t heard from Ian since yesterday… at school.” I could tell that Carys was trying not to make a big deal out of it.

I winced, “He’s probably just busy.”

“I don’t know we’ve talked every day since before we started going out. It’s just a little weird that he would suddenly just not show up to school and not say so much as a peep to me.” She let out a frustrated huff and I could help but think so much for forgetting it.

“Oh, that’s probably not good.” I held back the wince. I had essentially told her that she should be worried about her boyfriend. That was not what I was going for.

“Maybe I should go over to his house later to see if he’s ok…” It was almost as if she were thinking out loud and asking my permission at the same time.

“But you don’t want to seem too clingy…”

“Yeah, I suppose so. But what if something really happened and I don’t know about it because I’m just the girlfriend… who would call me?”

She was just the girlfriend and she was right, no one would call her but then again no one would ever know for sure that he was dead… because the evidence was currently being digested.

“Have you tried calling him?” I gulped, hoping that my poker face was holding.

“Yes, it went straight to voicemail.”

“Oh…” I scratched the back of my head. “I guess you should check up on him?” It was more of a question than statement.

“Oh Natasha, what if I don’t find him?” she gave me those puppy eyes that any normal person wouldn’t be able to resist.

“Then I’ll… Help you.” I was reluctant to say it. I would have to help her move on.

“You better.” She playfully punched my shoulder.

“Carys… there’s something I should probably tell you.” I stopped but when I opened my mouth to continue the bell rang.

“We’ll talk after school, ok?” She said as she picked up her bags and lunch form the table.

“Yeah, we’ll talk later.” I replied rather unsure that we would actually talk later.

How was I supposed to tell her that her boyfriend was dead? Would she even believe me? I mean I didn’t have any actual proof. I guess that was that dilemma.

I decided to skip school after that. I didn’t want to face Carys and I certainly didn’t want to face my classes so I drove my car to a spot where I could hike, get my mind away from everything.

I followed the trail a ways, just sauntering, taking my time because I had plenty of it. When I got to the top I took in the view of the city. It was beautiful, so I sat down and admired.

I’m not sure how long I sat there for. But I sat there long enough to watch the sun set and the day light fade into night.

There is something about the city from a distance at night. Maybe it is the quiet undisturbed peace that is associated with views like this.

I barely acknowledged the crunch of the gravel on the path as someone approached me from behind. I didn’t really care anymore.

“I thought I would find you here.” Carys sat down beside me taking in the view.

“I guess I am more predictable than I thought.” I shrugged.

“Nah, I’ve just known you for a while.” I she gave me a weak smile.

“Doesn’t mean that I’m not predictable.” I mumbled.

“I guess you’re right… So you want to tell me what’s up?”

“I don’t think you would believe me even if I tried.” I said trying not to sound defeated.

“Maybe I will, maybe I won’t you won’t know if you don’t try.” She smiled reassuringly at me but I continued to look at the city lights.

I let out a shaky breath. “Ian’s dead.”

“Uh.. what?” I could tell that she didn’t really know what else to say.

“I shouldn’t have told you. It’s a big complicated mess and now it’s even worse.” I shook my head. This was such a bad idea.

“Please tell me this is a joke. Please tell me you’re kidding.” She begged me, panic evident on her voice.

“It’s not a joke. And I don’t know how to prove to you that he’s gone.” I took a deep breath and continued to look out on the city.

“But I just saw him yesterday…” She trailed off, tears in her eyes.

“I know this is hard…” I paused, “I still don’t think I should have told you but you have a right to know.”

“How, how did it happen? How do you know?” Carys asked me through her tears. “And why are you telling me this, not his family?”

“There’s something I should probably tell you.” I took a deep breath knowing that what I was about to do was risky but I wasn’t sure what else to do at the moment.

The night air was colder by the time that I had finished my version of the story. There was silence and Carys had stopped crying. She was confused and unsure of what to believe.

“How do you know all of this?” She asked me slowly.

“Because I’m not exactly like you.” I said slowly.

“You’re not one of them are you?” She looked at me somewhat horrified of my answer.

“No, I am not exactly one of them but I’m also not one of you.”

“You’re going to have to elaborate.”

“I guess you could say that I am a metahuman. Not human and not supernatural. I can’t exactly explain to you everything that I can do but I can tell you that I confirmed his death. I saw it without actually being there.” I winced slightly at the flash of blood and gore in my mind.

“Why did it have to be him? Why did she have to kill him?” I could hear the tears starting to creep up again.

“It’s the nature of demons. To take someone you know, someone you friends with or fond of and steal a little bit of your soul when you have to kill them.”

She started crying all over again.

“It’s not right. And it shouldn’t have happened. I just wish I knew before…” I trailed off.

“We have to stop her. We have to stop them whatever it is they’re up to we have to stop it.” She was determined to have some semblance of justice.

“We don’t even know what exactly it is they’re up to…” I said slowly.

“You said it yourself. You heard them talking about plans.” She was hysterical. I knew I shouldn’t have told her. I shouldn’t have involved another person but it was too late.

“Yeah but I didn’t hear exactly what they’re planning, I just know that there is something big happening. But they’re so… elusive about it.” I took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

“But you can find out.”

I was reluctant to respond, “I can… but it doesn’t mean I should.”

“So you’re saying that you’d just rather sit by and let all of this happen? What if they do succeed?” She threw her hands in the hair, “We need to look at worst case scenarios here because it’s better to be prepared for the worse than assume the best. They’ve already killed one person close to us, let’s not allow them the opportunity to do it again!”

I almost cursed at her logic. She was right and I knew it but I also knew that we couldn’t pull it off alone. “We’re going to need some help on this.”

“Like what? Like Supernatural help?” I could tell that she didn’t exactly want their help because after all they were the ones to kill her boyfriend and take our best friend.

“Yes, like supernatural help. We need to figure out who all is in on this and how/ when it is going down. There are a lot of moving parts and as such we’re going to need some people to keep everything in check.”

“Ok… what were you thinking?” I was surprised at how calmly she asked the question.

“I know some people who can help.”