Picking Up the Pieces

Chapter One

Matt was glad to be home. Touring after Nightmare was done had been a great way to release his feelings, or according to the rest of the band, keep them in. But he felt that wasn't the case. He'd dealt with a lot over the length of the tour. And now, he was just glad to be home. Home. Where he now lived alone. He didn't know exactly what to feel about that.

Relieved? Pissed?

There were so many things that he could feel but the minute he walked in the front door he had to grin. He was relaxed. He hadn't felt relaxed walking in the front door in a long time. He normally had to put a movie in and get a glass of whiskey to feel relaxed. He dropped his bag, and walked towards the kitchen. There was no one there to bitch that his bag was in the middle of the entryway. He kicked his shoes off in the hall. Once in the kitchen he opened the fridge and instead of reaching for a beer, grabbed a soda. His parents had gone shopping for him, stocking his fridge and freezer and cabinets.

He opened the freezer out or curioustiy and smiled when he saw his mom had left a lasagna for him to put in the oven. He loved his mother. He truly did. He found the note taped to the microwave when he went to put the TV dinner in it.

Turn the oven on at 375 and heat up the lasagna. Make up a salad, grab a beer and eat on the back porch. Put the TV dinner back in the freezer. Love Mom

Matt grinned and did as the note said. He wandered to the stereo system and turned it on, going through his CD's until he found what he wanted to listen to. He wondered back into the kitchen once Metallica was playing and checked on the lasagna. He wasn't sure how long to heat it up. He picked up the phone and called his mother. Which he had a feeling had been why she hadn't put a time on the note. Ten minutes later he was shaking his head and setting a timer. He pulled the fridge open and quickly found the makings for salad. When that was done, he pulled the lasagna out as the timer went off, cut a piece, put it on a plate and went outside with his food and the beer that he had been told to have.

----

In the morning Matt sighed as he woke. He'd had a hard time sleeping. He wasn't used to sleeping in the bed alone. He glanced at the empty side of the bed and shook his head as he got up. He wasn't going to think about her. He didn't want to. He'd made the mistake of marrying her, and he'd dealt with it. He glanced at the shower and decided against it. He'd get one later. He walked downstairs and glanced at his bag and shrugged. He picked it up and carted it down to the basement with him. He dumped it out and sighed. He sorted his clothes. He was glad his mother had taught him how to do laundry. And clean house. He'd actually had to do that shit as a teen. Most of the time is was as a punishment. But when he'd turned the laundry pink his mother had almost killed him, before making sure he knew what he was doing.

Matt started the laundry and then headed into the area he had designated to work out. He turned the stereo on not really caring what played and got lost in his workout. When he was done, he switched over the laundry, and started another load before heading back up to his room. He showered and dressed went down to see if he could find something to do.

----

MacKenzie Sutten sat at the bar quickly eating her dinner. She was sitting as close to the wall as possible. She was getting ready to work, and she needed food. She hadn't eaten all day. Instead she'd down nothing but listen to her room mate, and her roommates cousin whine and complain to one another because one of the cousin's had gotten divorced recently and was having trouble living in the real world. That had caught her attention though. She learned from listening as she cleaned the apartment and made sure that her laundry was done, that the blonde had been married to a guy with a lot of money. At least according to her. MacKenzie only rolled her eyes. She had left for work, and her room mate Chelsea had barely acknoweledged her.

Soon as she was finished with the burger she had gotten she sucked down her soda and tossed the trash as she walked around the bar. She hated working here, but it was the best she could do. She hadn't been able to find any other job, and it left her worrying about her sister at night. She didn't like leaving the thriteen year old in the apartment with Chelsea by herself. Ever since their mother had left Brenna alone and not looked back seven years ago, she had been taken care of the girl. She started working quickly and sighed. It was Friday night and the place was packed.

“Mac, c'mon get your ass in gear.”

“Stop hitting on everything with boobs and you would be able to keep up!” MacKenzie yelled back down the bar to the blonde bartender. He would rather hit on, and take off for a quickie in the back room with a random girl, than do his damn job. But he was the owners son, and she couldn't do a damn thing about it. The music was loud, and the crowd was louder. She managed to slip away to check on her sister. According to Chelsea, Brenna was out like a light. She got back to the bar just as a seat opened up and was instantly filled. She didn't bother glancing at whoever had sat.

“What can I get ya?”

“Whisky no ice.” She made the drink and slid it to the man, taking the money he slid across the bar to her. She put it in the register along with the money from a beer she just served. She had no problem serving the crowd, but she was ready to murder her coworker. She stalked off down the bar, completely unaware of the amused expression on the face of the man at the end of the bar sipping his whiskey and watching her.

“Seriously, get to fuckin' work. You want to hit on every slutty bitch that walks in here, do it on your own time. I don't give a fuck as to why you've actually kept your job. It's crowded, and I'm sorely tempted to slam a fist in your face. So do some actual work, or I'm going to get even more pissed than I already am.” And with that MacKenzie walked down to the end of the bar she was working, to cheers from what seemed like the entire male population of the bar.

“Bitch.” She heard him say and her fist balled.

I need this job.

She repeated that over and over in her head as she worked she turned to the man at the end of the bar and glanced at his glass. She looked up to ask him if he needed a refill. She stared for a minute and turned almost instantly when someone asked for a Corona. She gathered herself and turned back to the guy at the end of the bar.

“Need a refill?” She asked him. He was gorgeous. And once she had gotten over the shock of how hot the guy was, and looked in his face she instantly recognized him.

“Yeah.” He said, and she could tell he was amused at her reaction to him. She shook her head and passed his drink across the bar.

----

Matt watched as she moved down the bar, doing the job for two and was pretty impressed that she did better alone than with the blonde asshole behind the bar with her. He watched as she slipped her tips in her pocket and put money in the register. And no one went without a refill. He didn't realize it, but he'd switched to beer sometime during the night. He was actually enjoying himself and not having to worry about being home. It was kinda nice. He hadn't looked at his phone all night either. The bar crowd started thinning out about one thirty. The place closed in an hour, so it wasn't a surprise.

“Still here?” she asked him as she passed him another beer.

“Still here. Didn't really feel like being home tonight.”

“C'mon being alone can be the best feeling in the world.”

“On a Friday night?”

“Good point.”

“I'm Matt.”

“MacKenzie.” She said and shook his hand. They stared at one another for a minute before pulling away. Their eyes met for just a minute and she turned thankful when someone asked for another drink. She could feel him watching her and found she didn't mind. When she hollared for last call it appeared she was going to deal with the rush alone. He waited until she worked her way to the end of the bar and didn't even have to ask as she passed him a drink. Once his drink was gone, and he was leaving she waved and he acknoweledged it. And he had a feeling, he'd be hanging around Arcadia more. Especially since the redheaded bartender intrigued him. He walked out to his car, and watched as a few minutes later she walked out to take a quick break before cleaning up. He was about to get in his car, when he saw the blonde bartender walk out.

----

“Back off Kyle.” MacKenzie said narrowing her eyes at him. He wasn't listening to her and he had caught her wrist went she went to shove him away and backed her roughly against the wall of the building.

“Quit playing games with me MacKenzie. I see the way you look at me.”

“With hatred and disgust?” She asked vehmently.

“I see the lust in your eyes even now...”

“Let go of me you bastard.” She was struggling against his hold, and the way he had her, there was nothing that she could do to get out of it.

“I believe she told you to back off.” Kyle's head turned and so did MacKenzie's. Those words were enough to get Kyle to loosen his grip and MacKenzie to get out of his hold. Once she checked that there were no bruises forming she caught Kyle off guard and slammed a fist in his face.

“You've gone one step too far this time.” She growled. She looked at Matt and grabbed his wrist dragging him back in the bar. “Sit, stay.” she said shoving him onto a barstool. He raised an eyebrow at her. “I'm not staying here alone with that crazy bastard.”

“Ahh, no problem.” Matt said. He just sat there, and she ignored him as she worked. “Oh and I'm not a dog by the way.” He said once she had slowed her pace. MacKenzie looked at him and realized what he was talking about laughed. And in that instant Matt knew he was screwed.

----

“I don't see why I have to go Brian!”

“Why are you acting like a whiny bitch?” Matt narrowed his eyes.

“You want me to go to a cookout at your house, where my ex-wife is sure to be. I don't fucking think so.”

“Oh c'mon it won't be that bad. Besides, Michelle's invited some friends, maybe they'll keep Val occupied... or you'll decide blow off some steam with one of them. I don't really give a fuck. You're going, which is why I'm here, dragging your ass out of the house.”

“I don't want to leave the house.”

“Yeah, because it's so great here alone. Move it Sanders.”

“I hate you.”

“Good, you can hate me at the cookout.” Brian muttered.

It wasn't until they actually got there that Matt realized he had no way home. He slammed a fist into Brian's arm and watched the other man smirk.

“Matthew Sanders, I'd appreciate if you'd refrain from hitting my husband. Go find someone else to hit. Johnny's already being an idiot go hit him.” Matt just shook his head and walked out back grabbing a beer from a cooler. He saw the guys and headed over to them. Zack looked at him and sighed.

“Hey Man.”

“Don't.” Matt said. He'd already seen her. She was leaning against the porch rail talking to some other blonde, and she was wearing a bikini top, and cut off shorts. Matt sat and sipped his beer. He watched as Michelle shook her head at her sister and Brian walked out to the grill.

“God, I've got a headache.” Johnny said.

“Quit being an ass and people would quit hitting you in the head.” their friend JB said. Matt ignored it. He glanced at Zack.

“Where's Callie?”

“She went inside to take care of Kelly. Michelle said she woke up.” Zack said referring to his two year old daughter.

“Valary, that brat of yours is awake.” A pretty petite brunette said as she walked out with a dark haired little girl. “Go find Daddy Kelly.” Everyone laughed when Kelly scooted down the patio steps and then stood looked around and smiled before yelling.

Daddy!!” And then taking off towards Zack. Matt glanced up five minutes later as Callie made her way towards them with a cup for Kelly. And when he looked towards the porch his fist balled. Val walked outisde with a baby in her arms. He started to say something but she walked out. A teen girl darting around her yelling for Michelle that they were there.

“Hey Brenna.” Michelle said shaking her head. “Where's your sister?”

----

MacKenzie's eyes had roamed over the yard the minute she got there and she had stopped in her tracks when she saw him. He was sitting with a group of guys, a girl who apparently was with one of the other guys and a child. His eyes met hers and she saw the shock in his eyes. It probably reflected in hers as well. Suddenly she felt herself smile. She glanced away to find Brenna. She walked into the yard and over to Michelle.

“Hey Chelle.”

“Bout time you got here! I haven't seen you in ages, I didn't know if you were going to make it.”

“I needed out. Chelsea is driving me batshit. Well her and your damn sister.”

“Yeah, is that where they're having their bitch sessions?”

“Yes! If I hear one more thing about her ex, I may scream.”

“Well you're probably going to. He's here.”

“What why? Why would her ex be here?”

“Because he's friends with my husband.” Michelle said waving a hand in the direction of the guys. MacKenzie turned her head in that direction and then snapped it back to Michelle. The other woman saw the look in her friends eyes and nodded. “Brian, he's my husband. I know you know who the others are, just from the look on your face.”

“God, remind me to stay caught up in my friends lives. I think I'm just gonna go say hey to Matt.”

“You say that like you know him.”

“A little.” MacKenzie said grinning. “C'mon Brenna I'll finish helping you with your math homework, while I talk.”

“Thanks.” Brenna said smiling. She had been stuggling with it, so she'd brought it with her.

----

Matt watched as she walked towards them and from the nudge he got from Brian he knew the other man knew he was watching the redhead. He turned and shoved him back.

“Matthew!” He turned his head and raised an eyebrow at Michelle. “What did I say about hitting my husband?” She exclaimed, but she was laughing.

“I didn't hit him!” Matt said and MacKenzie laughed.

“Hey Matt.”

“MacKenzie.” He said and both smiled. She bit her lip and Matt motioned for her to sit beside him. The others raised their eyebrows at the two.

“Well, this is interesting. How do the two of you know one another?” Michelle asked curiously. Brian, Zack, Callie, and Johnny were all waiting for the answer.

“Met him at Arcadia the other night. Might've assisted me in getting Kyle to back the f...to back off.”

“Really?” Callie asked. “I'm Callie by the way. And that doesn't sound like Matt.”

“Hey, he's not a complete ass. Only when he's dealing with that dumb bi... Sorry Chelle.” Zack said.

“Don't worry about it. If she wasn't my sister she wouldn't be here. Mom and Dad wanted her out of the house for a bit.” Michelle said, and she noticed the looks between Matt and MacKenzie. She glanced at Brian who shrugged.

The group sat talking and eating, and everyone helped Brenna with her homework. And when the teen was done, Kelly instantly had her across the yard playing. MacKenzie had to smile at that. She was glad her little sister was happy for once.

“God she hasn't been happy since Mom walked out on her.”

“It'll be okay Mac. Look at her, who knew all we had to do was get her together with Callie's kid.” Lina, there friend said.

“Yeah no shit.” Michelle said laughing. Brian shook his head. A moment later they all looked up when Val started screaming something about Matt.

“What the hell is your problem?” Michelle demanded.

“He doesn't need to be here! He's the reason that we got divorced! He was supposed to settle down, and quit touring when we got married! He wants to blame anyone on me seeing someone else it's him!” Everyone stared. MacKenzie saw Matt's fist ball and looked between him and the blonde.

“C'mon, lets go get something to drink.” MacKenzie said taking Matt's hand and lead him inside. Val's eyes narrowed and she clinched a fist.

----

“Hey are you gonna be okay?” MacKenzie asked as she leaned against the counter with the beer he handed her. He took a sip of his beer and sighed.

“How the fuck can she blame me for her cheating? I...”

“Hey, it's not your fault. You're not the one that cheated on her. She cheated on you.”

“I just...”

“Try not to think about it.”

“How the hell am I supposed to do that MacKenzie?” He asked sighing. “We were together for what seems like forever.” He glanced at her and saw her take a sip of her beer.

“T...” He took her beer and cut off what she was about to say and moved, pinning her against the counter, and crashing his lips to hers. MacKenzie was shocked when his hands went to her hips and pulled her against him, she slipped her arms around his neck, giving into the kiss.

“Wow.” The two of them pulled apart and turned their heads. Zack and Brian and Michelle were standing in the kitchen, just inside the back door. A moment later Matt could hear the screeching coming from the backyard. He raised an eyebrow.

“She saw you kiss her.” Brian said.

“I need a ride home.” Matt muttered. “I can't stay any longer.” He looked expectantly at Brian. The man cocked an eyebrow at him.

“I'll drive you. Let me go get Brenna...”

“Oh, I'll watch her. She'll be fine here with me and Brian.” MacKenzie stared at them.

----

Matt backed MacKenzie against the door once it was shut and lifted her in his arms. His lips on hers. She gasped when he pulled back and started nibbling on her neck. She groaned and pressed against him.

“Wait...” She gasped as his hand slid up her side. “Matt, we... we can't do this.”
“MacKenzie...” He pulled back and looked at her. He saw the look in her eyes. “I... I'm sorry.” He said quietly.

“No, you have nothing to be sorry for. It's just, you're upset and this isn't...”

“You're right. Will you stay? We can watch a movie or something, talk...”

“Are you nervous?” She asked him touching a hand to his face. “Because I'd love to stay.”

“Yeah?”

“Mhmm.”

----

Matt woke up the next morning and instantly looked at the woman laying across him and actually smiled. She was laying there in his t-shirt in his arms. He watched as she opened her eyes and tilted her head up to look at him. He smiled at her and she smiled shyly back. He shifted in the bed.

“Did you just blush?”

“No.” She lied.

“Yes you did.”

“No I didn't.” He rolled so that she was beneath him. He kissed her gently. Her hands ran up his chest and slipped around his neck.

“Yes you did.” He kissed the tip of her nose. “You're beautiful.” He said running a hand through her hair, tucking it behind her ear. She looked up at him. She bit her lip. “C'mon, I'll fix you breakfast. Because if we dont' get out of this bed...”

“You cook?” She asked as she let him pull her from the bed.

“Yes, and beautifully.” When she only shook her head and let him drag her to the kitchen he grinned. He lifted hrer to sit on the counter as he cooked breakfast.

Almost two hours later they were cleaning the kitchen together when she looked at the clock.

“Shit!”

“What?” He asked turning to her.

“Brenna, she's gonna be late, soo late for school. I have to go...” She darted towards the door, but he grabbed her quickly and kissed her.

“Bye.” He said. She just smiled.

“Bye.” She breathed and darted out the door a smile on her face, not even thinking about the fact that she had put on one of his shirts last night because they'd spilled soda on hers when they'd gotten into a popcorn fight.

----

“I was wondering when you'd show up. I took Brenna to school.” MacKenzie sighed and dropped down onto the porch beside her friend, just as Brian walked outside. He glanced down at his wife's friend.

“Is that Matt's shirt?” He asked. Michelle looked at her and realized that Brian was right.

“Yes?” She asked looking down at the shirt she wore.

“Oh. My. God. You slept with him!” Michelle exclaimed.

“I...”

“Aww, look baby, she's about to deny it.” MacKenzie hit Brian.

“Yes, I am going to deny it. All we did was sleep. I needed a shirt because we got into a popcorn fight and soda got spilled.”

“Right...”

“I'm serious. And I did sleep with him, but that's exactly what we did. Sleep.

“Yeah, this is Matt we're talking about. I highly doubt he didn't try something.”

“Nothing happened. You've known me long enough to know that I don't do shit like that Michelle.”

“Sweetie, the way you and Matt were acting yesterday in my kitchen...”

“That doesn't mean... okay, yes, I wanted to. But we didn't. Look can we just drop it please. I have to go home and get things done.” And with that she was back up and walking towards her vehicle.

----

“What the hell?” MacKenzie said. She was staring at her shit and her sisters. All outside of the apartment she lived in. She moved to the door and tried to open it. It was locked. She pulled out her key and tried it. It didn't work. She raised her fist and pounded on the door.

Chelsea Camden you better open this fucking door and you better open it now!”

“She's not home.” MacKenzie turned her head to look at her neighbor. “She told me to tell you, you're not welcome here anymore, and she already went to the manager and had your name removed from the lease.”

“You've got to be kidding me. What the fuck am I supposed to do? They'll take Brenna from me...”

“I guess her cousin is moving in...”

“That explains it. Stupid fucking bitch is jealous because... you know what never mind. Is your grandson here by chance? I could use some help with this shit.”

“Yeah, let me go get him.”

Twenty minutes later MacKenzie stared at the SUV packed full of her things. She didn't give a fuck about the beds at that moment. And most of the things in the apartment were Chelsea's. She had had to sell all of the stuff from the house her mother had lived in with Brenna just so she could fight to get her little sister. So they didn't have much. She had to get Brenna from school. She wasn't leaving her there, not where she could be taken from her if Chelsea told someone she didn't have a place to live.

When MacKenzie got to the school it only took ten minutes but, Brenna was confused, but she walked out to the SUV.

“I don't have a doctors appointment today Sis.”

“I know, but we don't have a place to stay. I didn't need that getting to anyone there.”

“Wait what?”

“We don't have an apartment anymore. Chelsea changed the fucking locks, and tossed our shit out. I'm gonna ask Michelle if you can stay with her while I'm at work tonight. I'll figure something out I promise B.”

“Okay. It's gonna be okay right?”

“Yeah. Everything's gonna be okay.”

----

Matt walked into Arcadia that night and noticed that it wasn't as busy. But then again it was Monday. He saw her behind the bar alone serving a drink to another customer. She glanced up and saw him and smiled. She made him a whiskey and sat it in front of him as he sat down in the same seat he'd been in the other night.

“Hey MacKenzie.” He said.

“Hi Matt.” She replied blushing and turning to fill an order for one of the girls working the floor. She couldn't look at him, without thinking about what his lips had felt like on hers.

They talked a little as the night wore on and he only stayed a few hours, but before he left, he looked at her before speaking.

“When's your next day off?”

“Thursday why?”

“Well, I was wondering if you wanted to go out with me.” She just stared at him for a minute and blinked. Someone called her name but she ignored them.

“Yeah, I'd love to.” He smiled.

“I'll see you Thursday.” He said and she bit her lip as she went back to work and he left.

Matt lay on the couch staring at the TV, not really paying attention to it He couldn't stop thinking about MacKenzie. She was completely different from the other women that he had ever met. He grinned and just turned the TV off and lay there.

“Dude you need to get out of the house, and do something.” Matt turned his head and found himself looking Zack and Johnny.

“Do the two of you know how to knock?”

“We did. Now, quit acting like a little bitch and laying here pissed off that Val's gone and you're all alone in this house. You're coming out with us.”

“Yeah, no, I've been out tonight. I'm good.”

“You went out?”

“Yes... wait did you call me a bitch?”

“You're acting like one.”

“I am not.”

“Whatever, lets go, we're going to Arcadia.”

“Already been.” The other two just stared at him.

----

MacKenzie sighed as she walked into Michelle's house that night. Her friend smiled at her and hugged her.

“It's temporary, I promise.”

“I know. Don't worry about it.”

“I'm so sorry.” A moment later MacKenzie's phone went off. She pulled it out of her pocket and looked at the number. She cocked an eyebrow she didn't recognize the number. “Hello?”

“Is this MacKenzie Sutten?”

“Yes...”

“This is Mark Kensington. I got word that you were looking to talk to me.”

“Uh, yeah I was wondering if we could meet...”

“About?”

“It's a personal matter, that I'm not sure how to discuss over the phone.”

After about five minutes MacKenzie was off the phone and shaking her head. She glanced at Brenna as she walked into the kitchen where her little sister was.

----

Matt smiled at MacKenzie as they sat across from one another at the restaurant. He was finding as each moment passed that he liked her more and more. Once they'd had dessert and he'd paid the bill they headed out. He took her hand in his and she turned her head and smiled. She laced their fingers together and they detoured down to the beach, with her slipping her feet out of her black heels and picking them up and carrying them as they walked. The silence between them was comfortable. She glanced up at him when she felt him looking at her.

“What?”

“You're beautiful.”

“Thanks.” She said biting her lip. He silently wished she wouldn't do that. “You don't look so bad yourself.” He turned her so that he could wrap his arms around her. Their eyes met and he lowered his lips to hers, as her arms went up around his neck, as their lips met. When they pulled back she smiled. She reached up and touched his face with her hand.

“I should probably get you home. You're sister is probably waiting on you to get back.”

“Yeah, unfortunately. I mean I love her, but I feel guilty when I'm out having fun without her.”

“So, maybe she can go to the movies with us. Next day off?”

“Saturday, and I think she'll have fun getting out. I have to go to LA tomorrow. And I'm nervous.” MacKenzie said as they walked back towards the car.

“Her Dad?” Matt asked. Over the past few days they had talked about a lot of shit, and she had just come out about how they'd been looking for Brenna's Dad for a while now. He had said if she needed anything he'd help and she'd declined. And then laughed when that actually made him smile.

“Yeah, he called the other day and I have an appointment to go see him. Michelle said she'd go with me, but I think I need to go alone.”

“I'm only a phone call away.”

“Thanks.”

----

MacKenzie took a giant breath and looked at the building that she was about to enter. She blew out a breath and headed into the building. She spoke to the receptionist who gave her the once over, causing MacKenzie to roll her eyes. She walked towards the elevators and hit the button that she was told to. She was nervous as hell. And it was nervousness for Brenna. Her sister really wanted to know who her father was. And MacKenzie had been searching for years. But her mother had slept with so many men that she had had a little trouble tracking them all down. Thankfully, the cards, and shit they'd bought had been more help than she'd ever imagined.

“I'm here to see Mr. Kensington...” MacKenzie said when she got the receptionist's desk.

“Which one?”

“Uhm... Mark.”

“Are you Ms. Sutten?”

“Yes.”

“He's expecting you, right this way.” the blonde said and lead her through a set of double doors, down a hall and to a rather nice sized office.

Oh God, I'm about to fuck this man's world up so bad.

“Ms Sutten, it's been a while, what can I do for you?” The man in the chair said as he turned and MacKenzie found herself staring at a compeltely male version of her little sister.

“You remember me?” MacKenzie asked shocked.

“You used to run around with most of the boys in your neighborhood, playing baseball, you always had a cap on your head, and your hair either stuffed up in the cap or in a tail, until your mother chopped it all off. Is that why you're here? She sent you?”

“I haven't seen that stupid bitch in seven years.” MacKenzie growled.

“Lucky you. Have a seat Mac.” He motioned to a chair.

“You've seen her?”

“She tries to hit me up for money, some bullshit about needing it to take care of a child she swears is mine.”

“The stupid bitch walked out on Brenna! I've been taking care of her! I've had to struggle to take care of her since I was nineteen! And even before that I was doing everything for her!”

“Calm down Mac. Look...”

“I'm sorry but that just pissed me off. Hold on.” And MacKenzie pulled a picture out of her purse. “That's Brenna.”

“Jesus!” He said staring at the picture of the thirteen year old girl in front of him.

“The resembalance is shocking I know. I didn't realize it... wait, you're the one that always snuck me candy...”

“Yeah, that'd be me... I have a kid...”

“Look, we don't want anything. She just really wants to know her Dad.” MacKenzie looked at him and sighed, trying not to bite her lip.

“I'll meet with her. I know you're as honest as they come Mac, even with how you grew up, but I'm going to want a paternity test.”

“That's fine.”

“I'll schedule an appointment. Where can I reach you?”

“The number you have, my cell, it's the only number I have.”

“I'll let you know when it's scheduled.”

“Thanks, and Mark, for what it's worth, Thank You.”

----

“So how'd it go?” Matt asked as he looked at her across the bar.

“Fine. I didn't expect it to be that easy. God, the guy remembered me!”

“That's a good thing?”

“I guess. He remembered my mom chopping off my hair...” Here MacKenzie shuddered.

“Why in the hell would she do that? You're hair is so beautiful.” MacKenzie dipped her head and served a beer, before filling Tally's order.

“She was jealous. Her hair wasn't like mine, it was hard to manage. But just as red. He even remembered that everyone called me Mac back then. I was too boyish for my mom's liking. I couldn't help it, there were no other girls in our neighborhood. What was I supposed to do, act like a slut?”

“So how'd he take the news?”

“He's not denying that she's not his. And he's scheduling a paternity test, even though he doesn't think I'm lying.”

“I'd want a test too, no matter what.”

“Jesus Matt, he looks like her. Or she looks like him, whatever.”

“You told her yet?”

“And get her hopes up? I don't know if I should.”

“Babe, you're gonna have to tell her why she's going to the doctors for a DNA sample...”

“Shit you're... did you just call me babe?” She asked and he saw the smile on her face.

“Maybe.” She saw the look in his eyes, the curioustiy, wondering if she was pissed about it.

“I kinda don't mind.” He smiled and she all but melted.

----

Three weeks passed and Tally had the night off so she was watching Brenna for MacKenzie. They were staying with her and the agreement was she'd help with rent. Tally had tried to tell her she didn't need the help, but MacKenzie wouldn't take no for an answer. MacKenzie and Matt had been going out every night she was off, and occasionally Brenna would go with them. Michelle still couldn't believe that the two of them hadn't slept together. And that was exactly what she and Brian were talking about when Matt showed up at their house.

“It's just weird, and totally not like Matt.” Brian muttered.

“I know, and in all honesty, MacKenzie never sees a guy this long. She normally sleeps with a guy and moves on. And she rarely did that.”

“Maybe I'm special.” Matt said walking into the kitchen. “I know she is.”

“Jesus Christ Matt, you never even called Val special.” Michelle said staring at her ex brother in law.

“She wasn't. Shit, she was so fucking fake, I don't know whay I never saw it.” He glanced at Michelle. “Sorry.”

“Don't be. Bitch pissed me off earlier. I made Mom and Dad make her leave. They had to come over and physically remove her from the house. So, you're trying to tell me that you're serious about one of my best friends.”

“Yeah, only how I missed her when you and Brian got togother...”

“She's been too busy raising Brenna, we very rarely actually got together to talk. Mostly phone calls. She used to work three jobs.”

“She said she dropped out of College to take care of her.” Matt said.

“Yeah, she did. She was battling her mother for custody when Brian and I got married.”

“Wow, from everything I've heard her mom is the worlds biggest bitch. Speaking of Mothers, I'm taking her to my parents house for dinner.” Brian's eyebrow shot up. “Well her and Brenna.”

“Christ, you are crazy about her.”

“I'm in love with her.” Matt said quietly. Brian laughed.

“Shoulda known, you haven't slept with her, and you take her sister with you every now and then when you go out.”

“Hurt her, and Brian will destroy you.” Michelle said before walking from the room. Matt and Brian both stared after her. Matt rolled his eyes.

“Seriously?”

“Dude, you heard the woman.” Brian said. Matt narrowed his eyes.

----

“Why am I going?” Brenna asked for the fifth time that evening as she and MacKenzie got dressed in the room they shared.

“Because Matt invited you. How many times do I have to tell you that?”

“He's your boyfriend. I...”

“Because he knows that you're important to me. Please Brenna, I really care about him. I've never felt like this about anyone before. I think... I think I'm in love with him.”

“Fine, but only because you are the worlds best big sister ever. That and I don't think you've ever said the “L” word about any guy before.”

“Thanks Brenna. So, what did you think about Mark?”

“I don't want to get attached. What if it turns out he's not my Dad?”

“But what if he is?”

“Then, maybe he'll want to get to know me...”

“Brenna, the man is awesome. He used to sneak me candy when I was your age. I think he was the only decent guy that Mom dated.”

“Well, lets get back to the guy you're dating. You never meet the parents.”

“I know. But things change. Brenna, how often am I gonna find a guy that doesn't mind that I have custody of my thirteen year old sister? A guy that is just so amazing, that doesn't care that I work in a bar, that...”

“Okay, now I know you're in love...”

“Wait, Mac's in love?” Tally said stopping from passing by the room the sisters were standing in, ready to leave.

“Shut up Tally.” MacKenzie said and her cheeks flushed red. Tally just shook her head.

“Well you might want to get that blush under control, your gorgeous boyfriend is headed up to the apartment.” The girls turned looking for shoes both settling on sandals to go with their outfits. Tally opened the door when he knocked and a smile found it's way to MacKenzie's face when she saw Matt. Brenna rolled her eyes at her sister.

“Hey.” She said shyly. He reached out and took her hand.

“Can I talk to you for a minute, before we go?”

“Yeah.” She took his hand and moved off to the kitchen. She glanced at the other two and they walked towards the bedrooms. “Something wrong?” She asked when they were standing face to face in the small kitchen. He wrapped his arms around her waist, drawing her closer to him.

“No, I just, I need to tell you something, before we go to my parents.”

“Okay...” She bit her lip. It couldn't be that bad if they were still going to dinner.

“I... I love you MacKenzie.” He said and watched her eyes widen in suprise, before she smiled.

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“Because I love you too...” He smiled down at her and then gently kissed her. When he pulled back they were both smiling.

“Ready to meet my parents?”

“Well, I think I can handle just about anything now.” She said and laughed. They walked out of the kitchen and she yelled down the hall to Brenna.

“Comin'” The thirteen year old yelled. Matt shook his head and opened the front door. Waiting for the two of them to walk out it. Brenna just shook her head when she saw the smile that was on her sisters face. She glanced at Matt as he followed them.

----

Kim smiled as she stepped out onto the porch. She was excited to meet the woman that had her son's heart. He talked about MacKenzie all the time. And whether he knew it or not, he was in love with her. She watched her son's black Escalade pull in and watched as he got out, and the passenger side door opened and the back door as well. She knew this would be interesting because Matt had mentioned that she was raising her little sister. When she caught sight of MacKenzie though her eyes widened. Her son's girlfriend was gorgeous.

“Hey Mom.” Matt said walking up and engulfing her in a hug.

“Matthew.” She said.

“Mom, this is MacKenzie, the most amazing woman in the world, next to you of course.” Kim laughed and MacKenzie blushed. “And her little sister Brenna.”

“Nice to meet you both.”

“Ladies, this is my mother Kim, and Dad's around somewhere. I think.”

“He'll be back he went to pick up some thing, don't remember what though.”

“Oh, okay.”

“Why don't we go in and get settled, dinners in the oven. I made a roast.”

“Sounds great.” MacKenzie said. She glanced at Matt who just smiled at her. A moment later she found herself being pulled into the house by Matt's mother. He just grinned and he and Brenna followed.

As the night wore on, MacKenzie only shook her head as Brenna fell asleep on the couch. She was cuddled up on the other end of the couch, Matt sitting on the floor in front of her. She was finding that she absolutely loved his parents. And the feeling seemed to be mutual. When something said triggered a memory of when Matt was a kid, she could only feel her chest tighten. Because suddenly she was longing for a memory like that of her with her father. She forced the tears back and glanced at Matt when he spoke.

“Shit, we should probably get you back to your place. Brenna has to be at school in the morning.” She hadn't seen him look at her and see the pain that crossed over her face. She glanced at the time on her cell phone when she pulled it out of her pocket.

“Wow, damn, it is late.”

“Well don't be a stranger dear, make sure Matt brings you and Brenna to the cookout next weekend.”

“If doesn't have to work I will Mom.” Matt said.

“Uhm, when? I could probably get the day off, if I'm not off already.”

“Saturday, it starts around one, well that's when everyone starts showing up. We'll eat about five.”

“I have to be at work at six. But I'm sure we could stop by for a little bit.” Matt smiled at her.

“Well, that settles that. It was so nice to meet you dear.” Kim said hugging her. When Gary did the same while Matt woke Brenna she forced the tears back.

“Whatsit? School already?” Brenna grumbled as Matt woke her.

“No, we're getting ready to go home sis.” MacKenzie told her sister.

“Oh, okay.” She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and looked at the Sanders. “Thank you for letting me come over with them. I liked dinner.” Kim smiled.

“I'm glad. I'm sure we'll be seeing one another again. Have fun at school tomorrow.” Brenna nodded sleepily and MacKenzie helped her outside.

“Mac...” Brenna said quietly.

“Yeah Brenna?”

“I wish we had parents like that.” And MacKenzie stopped and pulled her little sister into a hug and held her tightly.

“I do too. But you've got me. And I've got you. That's all that matters. I love you B.”

“I know. I'm sorry I ruined your dreams.” MacKenzie just stared at her. Matt blinked as he helped get the obviously tired teen in the backseat. He looked at his girlfriend and saw the look on her face.

----

“Tally, I have a favor to ask.”

“What Mac?”

“I know you worked the day shift today and are probably tired, but can you take Brenna to school in the morning please?”

“Is everything okay?”

“No, no it's not.”

“What happened?” Tally asked. It had been about an hour since the two had gotten back.

“I need to go to... I... there's something that I need to do.”

“Please tell me you're going to Matt's and getting laid. And not doing what I think you're truly about to say you're going to do.”

“I have to go. She's fucked Brenna up so fucking bad.”

“Honey, do you even know where she lives?”

“Crescent City. I'm gonna be gone a while. T ake care of her for a few days. Take her to Michelle's if you need a babysitter. I'll call her from the road tomorrow. I have to go. I'll be back Tally.” and with that grabbing her purse and tossing some clothes in the bag she had she grabbed her keys and headed out. She had a stop to make first.

In jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers, she walked into Arcadia and glanced around. She walked into the office and glanced at her boss.

“Can I help you Mac?”

“I need to take a few days, three at the most, family emergency.”

“You never have...”

“Look, I'll work this weekend. I'll come in early Saturday. Please, I have to go.”

“Fine. You'd best be back by Friday.”

“I will be.”

----

As she drove MacKenzie sighed. She was annoyed and she couldn't believe that she was actually making this drive. She had nine more hours to change her mind, but she knew that she wasn't going to to. She had to do this. Her mother had ruined too much. She wasn't going to ruin any future that her sister had at happiness. She glanced at her phone when it rang. She sighed and picked it up and looked at the ID on the screen. She sighed and pulled into a parking lot of a McDonalds and answered it.

“Hello.”

“I'm calling for MacKenzie Sutten.”

“This is her.”

“This is Dr. Montgomery from Memorial Family Doctors Offices...”

“Dr. Montgomery, what can I do for you?”

“I was calling about Brenna Sutten.”

“What about her?”

“The paternity test came back...”

“Oh God...”

“Mark Kensington is Brenna's father.”

“Finally.” She muttered. “Thank you.”

“I was wondering where to send the papers...”

“Uhm Kensington and Kensington in LA. To Mark. Thank you.” MacKenzie felt relief wash over her as she hung up the phone. She eased back out on the road and sighed. She wanted to get the hell to Crescent City and back.

----

“Well MacKenzie, ths is a surprise.” MacKenzie looked at her mother and narrowed her eyes.

“Surprise my ass, you know damned well, I'd be here one day. And so help me god, if I could kill you and get a way with it I would.”

“How's your sister? Dealing with your whorish ways still?”

“Excuse me? Did you just call me a whore? Because I'm pretty sure you were the one that whored... you know what I didn't come here to argue about you. I came here to tell you just how fucked up you've made Brenna! She thinks that because I came back from college to raise her she ruined my life.”

“She did. If it weren't for her, I'd still be in Huntington Beach. But that little bitch ruined everything.”

“You useless two-faced Bitch. Maybe if you'd been more of a mother to her! But you don't know shit about being a mother! Considering the fact that you'd get your fucking fix using... you know what, I'm not a teenager anymore, and I'm done. I'll have you know, if you ever go anywhere near me, Brenna, or anyone close to us, I will make sure that you never see the light of day again. I'm not sixteen anymore, and I'm not afraid of you.” And she turned and walked from the house. She was struggling to pull in breath as she she sucked the fresh air into her lungs. Her mother's house smelled horrible. Reminding her of what the house had smelled like when she was sixteen. She shook her head and slipped behind the wheel of her vehicle. She closed her eyes and counted to ten. She turned the key in the ignition and turned the music on and up.

Picking up her cell phone that she had left on the passenger seat, she noticed that she had three missed calls. And five texts. She would check them when she got to the motel she planned on staying at. One that was far out of Crescent City. The tears fell as she drove. Her mother had tried to blame everything on Brenna. And if it was the last thing that she did. MacKenzie was going to make sure that Brenna had it drilled into her head that everything was not her fault, but the fault of a mother who had only cared about herself. And she would tell her sister what had happened when she herself had been sixteen.

----

A few days later Brenna was driving into Huntington Beach when her cell phone went off. She glanced at it and sighed. She wanted to get back to her sister. She pulled into a parking lot and answered the phone talking breifly to her boss, and told him she'd be there that night. He had said nothing more but hung up on her. She sighed and went in and got a soda and walked back out. She picked up her phone and called Tally.

“Hey Mac, where you at?”

“Headed to your place. Literally, I should be there in about thirty. Where's Brenna?”

“Well, since you kinda put me in charge of her, I said it was okay if she went to dinner with her Dad.”

“That's fine. I have to work tonight, coming home and changing and going in. I kinda owe Keith.”

“Yeah, I know. Your man said to call as soon as you were back.”

“Yeah, I know. I've talked to him. I'll call him when I get to the apartment. T, how's she handling knowing that we've finally found her Dad?”

“Excited. And what makes it better is he's asked her to talk to you about seeing if maybe he could have her for the weekend. If you don't have plans already. She seemed kind of excited about that. So I'd call him when you get the chance. I'll see you when you get here.”

“Yeah, thanks Tally.” MacKenzie sighed as she started driving again. She wasn't too worried about Brenna. She knew Mark was a good man. He always had been. But she also knew that her mother had used him. She wasn't sure what she would do if Brenna got really attached, because the man lived in LA. But at least that was closer than Crescent City. It didn't take long but MacKenzie was pulling into her temporary residence and sighing. She walked to the apartmnet just as Tally's landlord got to the door. Tally opened the door and looked between her and the landlord, and over MacKenzie's shoulder, causing the red head to turn and see her sister and Mark.

“Mrs. March.” Tally said sighing. “I paid rent already, what can I do for you?”

“There have been complaints from the neighbors that you have people living here that shouldn't be.”

“I added Mac and Brenna to the lease... you know this.”

“I've looked at it. They aren't on the lease...”

“You watched Mac sign it!” Tally exclaimed.

“They go, or I evict you Tally.”

“We'll find a place T, don't worry about it.” MacKenzie said narrowing her eyes at the landlady's back as she walked away. MacKenzie dropped down on the step and sighed. She had one option and she wasn't going to impose on Brian and Michelle. Especially since she had gotten a text from her friend telling her that she'd found out she was pregnant.

“The two of you can stay with me Mac.” She looked up at Mark and raised an eyebrow.

“That's nice of you and all, but...”

“Nonsense, Brenna's my daughter, and you're her sister. We're family.”

“Please can we Mac?” Brenna looked really excited by it and MacKenzie sighed.

“How about this, I can stay with a friend, Brenna you can stay with your Dad. Wait, don't you live in LA? What about...”

“Actually I live down here. At least part time. I don't mind making it full time. So Brenna won't have to worry about getting to and from school.” When Brenna looked at her pleadingly MacKenzie sighed.

“Alright. That's fine. Look I have to get to work.”

“Okay. Mac, I love you.”

“I know B. I know.”

----

MacKenzie sighed as she walked into the bar and her boss nodded to her. When he asked if she remembered their deal she nodded. She glanced at the bar and smiled when she saw the man she had fallen for sitting in his usual spot. She shook her head, seeing that his friends were there as well. She slipped behind the bar and grinned at him. Despite everything they weren't that busy.

“So what deal did you make with your boss?” Matt asked her.

“I promised I'd work this weekend and come in early on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday...shit Saturday...”

“It's okay Mackenzie. It's not the end of the world.” He said to her.

“I know but I promised...”

“Mac, shit happens. My parents will understand. Besides, you have a reason for having to make the deal with your boss. You don't have to explain it to my parents. I know why, that's all that matters.” MacKenzie stared at her boyfriend and her boss shook his head, trying not to laugh as she moved around the bar, and Matt wrapped her in his arms. He walked over to them.

“You take Saturday off. Come in Monday.” He said. Mac stared at her boss and blinked. Matt looked down at her and grinned.

“Your boss, not an ass like his son.” MacKenzie laughed and went back to work but not before Matt kissed her.

Matt stayed til the end of the night, the guys all shaking their heads at him as they left. When she was leaving MacKenzie laughed as he moved towards her once she walked out of the building.

“Did I tell you that I missed you?”

“No...”

“Well I missed you.” And he lowered his lips to hers. She wrapped her arms around his neck and looked up at him once they pulled apart.

“I missed you too.”

“Stay with me tonight Mac.” He said quietly. “Just let me hold you.” She smiled.

“I'll stay with you tonight Matt.” She replied and he shook his head when she started for her car. He pulled her to his Escalade, but she didn't complain.

----

“Matt...” MacKenize murmured, rolling in the bed they were in to look at him. He looked at her.

“Yeah?”

“I love you.” and she kissed him, and he pulled her tight against him, and deepened the kiss. When he rolled them so that he was above her she smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“I love you.” He replied and she ran her hands down his chest to the top of his pajama pants and he shifted them, so they were on the bed, on their knees and the t-shirt he had given her to sleep in was soon gone, followed quickly by her bra. It wasn't long before he shifted removing his pajama pants and was completely naked, and MacKenzie laughed when he removed her panties before kissing from her ankle all they way back up to her neck. She groaned as he lay her back on the bed. He looked down into her eyes and watched her as he entered her.

----

When MacKenzie woke in the morning she smiled as she curled closer to Matt. He tightened his hold on her and smiled before kissing her on the top of her head. MacKenzie smiled contently to herself and fell back asleep in his arms.

When she next woke she was alone in the bed, but that didn't last for long. She laughed when Matt walked in carrying a cup of coffee and then grabbing a t-shirt for her and tossing it at her. She pulled it on and shook her head as he handed her the cup. He sat beside her and sighed.

“I called Tally let her know you stayed here last night. Told her to let Brenna know where you were.” MacKenzie groaned. “You okay Mac?” He asked her quietly.

“No, someone went to Tally's landlord and told her that we were staying there. And supposedly the woman didn't remember or have a copy of the lease that we signed adding us to the lease.”

“Do the two of you...?”

“Brenna's staying with her Dad. He offered to let me stay, but it wouldn't have felt right.”

“So stay with me. I kinda liked having you here last night.”

“You're just saying that because...”

“MacKenzie...” She turned to look at him. “I want you here. Because I love you. And you laying in my arms felt more right, than when I was with my ex. Being with you is probably the best thing that's ever happened to me. Stay with me please?”

“Okay, but don't get mad when I wake you up crawling into bed every night when I get off work.”

“I won't.” She grinned and kissed him, and stood looking around the room. She sat the mug of coffee on the dresser and found her panties and jeans. She pulled them on and glanced at her boyfriend.

“I need my car. Kinda need to get my stuff out of it. And get the rest of my things from T.”

“Okay. And then wanna get lunch before we go to my parents...?”

“How about we call your mom and see if she needs any help setting up.” Matt grinned.

----

MacKenzie laughed as she walked into the house, Brenna behind her. She made her way to the kitchen and put the bag of groceries on the counter. Brenna put hers on the island counter. She was helping her older sister make dinner for Matt and his parents, and her own Dad. It had been about two months and Brenna could tell that her sister was nervous about something. And the fact that MacKenzie had invited Brenna's Dad had Brenna curious as to what was going on.

“So, are you going to tell me what is going on Mac?” Brenna asked. MacKenzie had never seen her sister so happy. She had talked to him and after a discussion that had involved Brenna as well, they had decided that Mark having custody of Brenna was best for her. And he still had no problem with MacKenzie being around her little sister as much as possible.

“Nothing, I'm just really happy, I haven't been this happy in a very long time.”

“Okay, yeah, something's going on.” Brenna said as she pulled things out of the bags in the kitchen.

“What's going on?” Matt asked walking into the kitchen. MacKenzie smiled and walked to him, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him. When they pulled back he looked down at her. “Oh that. Yeah. Decide what we're having for dinner?”

“Sort of. Are you going to help us cook or are you going to go disappear until your parents and Mark get here?”

“Well, I suppose, disappearing sounds appealing, but cooking with my amazing girlfriend and her little sister sounds a whole hell of a lot more fun.” Brenna's eyebrow shot up. She looked between the two of them and it hit her.

“Holy fucking Christ!” she exclaimed. The two looked at her. Matt's eyebrow shot up and MacKenzie laughed.

“B...”

“You're pregnant!”

“Smart ass.” Matt muttered. MacKenzie giggled.

“No one ever said she was dumb.”

“Well there isn't a ring, so you're not engaged, you've been living together for like two months. So what else could it be. And you two aren't acitng like you hate one another. So pregnant is the only other thing it could be.”

“Actually we got engaged three days ago.” Matt said looking at Brenna, “but she is pregnant. Found out today. The ring's just getting resized. My parents gave it to me to give to Val, and I never did.”

“Wait... are you saying... that my big sister, miss, I don't let anyone in, has let someone in completely?” Brenna was in shock.

“Brenna, maybe you should sit down.” MacKenzie said laughing at her bewildered sister. She knew her sister was going to be shocked when she heard the rest of the news.

A few hours later Brenna was answering the door as Matt set the table and MacKenzie changed into something different. Brenna had accidently spilled her soda on her sister.

“Hi Dad.” Brenna said giving her father a hug.

“Where's your sister? I need to talk to her before dinner.”

“She's upstairs changing. I spilled coke on her white tank top.”

“Okay. Can you go get her please?”

“Sure Dad.” And Brenna took off up the stairs, just as Matt walked out.

“Something wrong?”

“Just the bitch making noises again. Thought I would warn Mac. I mean there's nothing that she can do, Mac and I have done everything legally.”

“I know, it's good you're giving her a heads up though.”

“Giving me a heads up about what?” MacKenzie asked. She saw the love in Matt's eyes as he looked at her. “What?” she asked grinning at him.

“You're beautiful. Just thought I'd let you know.” She smiled.

“You're mother is making noises about filing for custody of your sister. She won't get it, I just thought I'd warn you.”

“Bitch ain't nothing but a user. She only wants it because she found out about you actually knowing you had a kid.”

“I know.”

“Let's just forget about it for tonight.” Mac muttered as she saw her future in laws pull in. “Brenna, take your Dad on back to the kitchen and check on dinner. It should be about done.”

“Sure Mac.”

About an hour later they were sitting around the dinner table all of them laughing and having a good time when Matt looked at MacKenzie. She smiled and nodded discretly at him.

“So Mac and I have something we want to tell everyone.” Brenna opened her mouth and Mac stepped on her foot.

“Ow Mac!”

“Then shut it.” She muttered. Matt had made sure no one had wine at dinner, everyone had soda.

“What is it?” Kim asked curiously.

“MacKenzie and I are getting married.” Kim looked at the red head who grinned as Matt took her hand. “I gave her Grandma's ring Dad, but it needed resized.”

“Well, I'm glad you didn't give it to the other. MacKenzie makes you happier than I've ever seen you.”

“She does, we also have one more announcement.” Here Matt looked at his fiancee.

“What?” Mark asked raising an eyebrow.

“We found out today that I'm pregnant. Eight weeks.”

“Pregnant... we're gonna be grandparents?” Kim asked excitedly. Matt glanced at MacKenzie. They both nodded.

“There's one more thing.” Matt said quietly.

“What?” The other four asked.

“We're possibly, according to the doctor, having more than one. We'll find out next week when we have an ultrasound.” MacKenzie said biting her lip. The next thing she knew Gary and Kim were up and hugging her.

“Congratulations Mac.” Mark said and he stood and hugged her once her future in laws moved to hug their son. They all glanced at Brenna.

“Brenna?” Kim asked.

“More than one?”

“Brenna...” MacKenzie said, but the thriteen almost fourteen year old shoved away from the table and ran towards the basement. Mac shook her head at the others. She knew what was wrong. A moment later there was music blasting from downstairs. MacKenzie recognized the song. It was by Nelly.

MacKenzie sighed as she walked down the stairs. She found her sister curled up on the couch, her knees drawn to her chest on the couch. She sat beside her and just watched her for a moment.

“B?”

“You're not gonna want me around anymore.”

“That's not true. You'll always be my sister. Beside's who's gonna babysit? You know you're gonna want to. And you know how important you are to me. I'm not going to just forget about you because Matt and I are having kids. You know what family means to me. Hell, you're even important to Matt. And Kim and Gary love you. I'm sure your Dad is still gonna let you come over whenever you want as long as your homework is done, and you haven't gotten in trouble. I'm not Mom. I'm not gonna toss you away because let's face it, I don't know what I'd do without you.”

“Promise?” Brenna asked after a minute. MacKenzie smiled.

“I promise. Tell you what, let's go talk your Dad into letting you spend the night. We'll have us a girls night.”

“Can Michelle and Tally come over too?”

“Yeah. Want me to have Matt call Zack and see if Callie and Kelly can come over too?”

“Yeah!”

“Okay. C'mere Brenna.”

----

About a month later MacKenzie stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom looking at herself. She rested a hand on her stomach and sighed. She still couldn't believe it. Triplets. She closed her eyes and thought back to the day she had found out. Matt had just smiled and held her close, saying that they'd be okay. She'd had to quit her job, but that was okay. She knew once the babies were born it'd be hard, but she was looking for another job. She opened her eyes when a pair of arms slid around her and pulled her gently back against him. She smiled when their eyes met in the mirror. She glanced at the ring on her finger. They were getting married in two days. Because they had both agreed that they wanted to be married before the babies were born.

“I love you Mac.”

“I love you too Matt.” She said turning in his arms. She rested her head against his chest. They stood there I the bathroom just holding one another. They heard the phone ring and sighed. He pulled away from her and went to answer it. She stood there for another minute and smiled. She was three months and looked about four. And for a girl that never thought she'd have kids of her own, she couldn't wait. But they both already knew, that the three babies were gonna be a lot.

“That was Mom, she wants to know if you're going to the store with her today. To get something, earrings or a necklace... I dont' remember what she said.” Matt told MacKenzie as she walked out of the bathroom.

“The necklace that she had ordered. Call her back and tell her to give me ten minutes.”

“Okay. Hey Mac...”

“Yeah?” She asked turning from standing in front of the closet.

“I can't wait to call you my wife.”

“I know.” She said grinning. “You've given me everything I never thought I'd want. And you know what, you've made me want all of those things. Getting married, the babies. Someone to love me.”

----

MacKenzie sighed as she waited by the phone. Her husband wasn't letting her go to the hospital, because she was pregnant. He was sitting with her and Brenna both of them trying to keep her occupied. She was seven months pregnant and the doctor wanted her to stay out of stressful situations. Michelle had gone into labor almost four hours ago. Matt had to make his Mom go to the hospital so that MacKenzie would stay home. Kim promised to call as soon as Michelle gave birth. Matt glanced at his wife as she sighed.

“MacKenzie...”

“I'm fine, I just wish I could be there for her. She is my best friend Matt.”

“I know honey.” MacKenzie smiled weakly at him and he moved to sit beside her. She leaned against him and he wrapped an arm around her. That made her happy. He loved her, and wanted her. She turned to look at him fully and he could see that she was tired. It was barely three in the morning. Brenna and Matt had both gotten up with her. A moment later MacKenzie winced.

“Sis?” Brenna asked looking at her sister she may have been tired but she noticed something was wrong with her big sister.

“I... I think...” When she groaned Matt didn't hesitate. Between him and Brenna they helped Mac to the Escalade and headed to the hospital.

Kim and Gary met them on the maternity floor. And once MacKenzie was in a room Brian stepped in.

“Hey, Kim told us you two were here. Chelle made me come over and check on her.”

“I'm fine.” MacKenzie groaned. Brian sighed, and left the room. MacKenzie reached for Matt's hand and he took it. A moment later she squeezed his hand tightly and he winced slightly. Matt ran his free hand over her hair. And Brenna asked him if she could go see Michelle he glanced at MacKenzie who nodded. Brenna left the room, because she knew that her sister and new brother wanted time alone.

Brenna was back in her sisters room five hours later and looked at her.

“Landon Samuel Haner.” She said and MacKenzie smiled. “Do you want me here? I can go hang with Chelle...”

“Go on Brenna, Kim'll come and get you as soon as...”

“Their born?”

“Yeah...” She breathed through another contraction. “Have you called your Dad?”

“He's on his way. I love you sis.”

“Love you to.”

----

About a month later Matt and MacKenzie smiled as Brenna ran ahead of them and unlocked the front door. She shoved it open and then moved out of the way as they carred her nephews and niece into the house. She darted back out to the SUV and got the diaper bags. MacKenzie said that if she was really careful she could help feed one of the babies. When she got back inside she followed the noises upstairs and smiled as she leaned on the door frame where her sister and brother in law were talking and changing diapers. She shook her head. She walked in and MacKenzie glanced at her and motioned to one of the rocking chairs in the room.

Brenna sat and a moment later MacKenzie placed Natalee Paige into her arms. Brenna looked down at at the baby in her arms and smiled. A moment later MacKenzie handed her a bottle and she got to feed her niece. Matt turned and was soon feeding Logan William. MacKenzie sat in the second rocking chair and held Christian James and smiled.

“B, did you close the front door?”

“Yeah, I closed the door.”

“Okay.” MacKenzie went back to looking at the baby in her arms and then glanced around the room and smiled. Never in her life did she imagine that she'd want this. And now, she didn't know what she would do without any of it.

Later in the week, Matt and MacKenzie lay in bed, exhausted and half asleep. They were both trying to get a little sleep. Yet they were subconciously both waiting for the three babies in the room across the hall to start crying. Neither of them could wait until they were old enough to sleep through the night, and then seperate into their own rooms.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for Dancing.In.Graves in honor of the new job she got, and apparently loves oh so much. There is ONE more part to this, the epilogue, should be up tomorrow!

Lovez && Hugz && DeathBatKisses
xSweet.Afterlifex


Post Song:
One Track Mind - Papa Roach
On Pandora