Lie To Me

Ch. 4: Lie To Me

Ch. 4: Lie To Me

“I can’t take it anymore… I…” Gerard stared at her standing outside the front door. Jenni froze, but she knew she couldn’t take it anymore either. So she let him in.

“What do you want?” She said closing the door and crossing her arms.

“Jenni, I can’t keep going with this. Just…” Gerard sighed and faced the floor. “I wanna know if what you told me that day on the phone is true. That you don’t…”

“I don’t, ok?”

“Jenni, don’t be so proud. I know I was wrong, but even I don’t disserve this.”

“Gerard, you are getting married this weekend. No matter what I say or how I feel, that won’t change. And if repeating you that I don’t love you makes me believe it, I’ll keep saying it.” Silence over the room, both bout to cry, Gerard knew he had lost her and there’s nothing they could do. Then, he saw the ticket in her hand.

“What’s that?” He said pointing to it. Jenni looked at it.

“A plane ticket.” She answered. Gerard’s face went pale.

“You’re leaving? When?”

“This weekend. I’m not going to the wedding, tho Eliza asked me to go.”

“Jennifer, you can’t leave…” He said feeling that the tears were stronger than he was, but still fighting to not to cry.

“Why not? Why should I stay here and watch you being happy? Why can’t I go away from you and get a life of my own?” She started crying, yelling at him.

“Well get a life near me! You just can’t fucking leave!!”

“And why not? Why do I have to stay?”

“Because I need you…”

“And what do you need me for? To have a second choice when you get tired of Eliza?”

“That’s not fair! You know I wouldn’t do that.”

“But you’re doing it! Gee, you’re getting married, and that hurts me! For just once, get in my place and tell me how it feels!”

“Am I really hurting you that bad? How can I be hurting you so bad if you don’t love me anymore?” Gerard whispered fighting the tears no more and letting them run free down his face.

“Isn’t because of that you jackass! You are hurting me cause I thought I was more worthy of just one night of sex! Cause I thought that the last 10 years we spent together meant something to you! Cause it certainly all this time meant much more to me! But still, get married and be happy. Eliza really loves you.”

“And what would you do?” His voice went back to normal.

“I’ll disappear and as I said I won’t be more than a memory to you. At least you can do me that favor and let me build up my life back.” Jenni faced the floor.

“If that’s what you want…” Both stood silently, Jennifer had to do something. “Anything else I can do?”

“Get the fuck away.” She said and he started walking to the door.

“So, I suppose this is… God… I can’t even say…” He stopped. Both were crying, She knew if she let him go she would lose him forever. There was only one way out.

“Gerard… wait.” He turned to her. She was facing the floor, but still he could see the tears glistening on her face.

“Yeah?”

“Lie to me.” Gerard looked at her confused.

“W-wha…?”

“Lie to me. Tell me that you’re not getting married this weekend, tell me that you don’t love her…” She stared at his hazel eyes. Gerard didn’t know what to think and stood there staring at her.

“Why are you asking me this?”

“I--… just do it! Please…” Jennifer stepped closer to him. “Tell me you love me and make me believe it.” Gerard stepped closer, only inches away. Jenni closed her eyes feeling him; his breathing on her hair messed up her thoughts.

“I love you.” He whispered. She knew he was lying, but still she asked him to do it, now was too late to take it back.