It's You And Me Again

One of One

Being ignored has to be the worst feeling in the world. No one likes the feeling of others not paying attention to them, I know that for sure because it's been happening to me this whole time. I was just small little Victor Fuentes and that's what I'd always be.

My life is a broken record, same life different day. I'd wake up, go to school, come home, do homework, eat dinner with the family and then go into my room and read for the rest of the night. It wasn't that I was anti-social, believe me I tried talking to people it just didn't seem like they liked me too much.

One time I tried hanging out with my little brother and his friends but still I was ignored. I was nothing but a solid ghost.

I think it was just that my face was nothing special. I didn't have bright eyes or a hairstyle that made all the girls or boys swoon. I wasn't into girls either so that put me at an even bigger disadvantage.

There was one boy that had instantly sparked my interest, even a young age: Kellin Bostwick. He was special. No, he wasn't something cliche like the quarterback of the football team or the smartest kid in our grade, he was just Kellin.

I'll always remember the first time I met Kellin. It was second grade and we were on a school field trip to the museum. I didn't have any friends and I was the smallest one in class so it was hard for me to get noticed but Kellin, everyone loved Kellin.

Kellin always had a way of catching the crowd, with his very dark hair and shining blue eyes it was easy.

I couldn't see above all the other kids, only some. There was still life in my eyes and a bounce in my step. Ms. Nelson had asked us to pick a buddy and this was the first time I had the courage to say anything. See I was a very shy kid and I still am.

Walking towards the group of boys. None of them we’re looking at me when I spoke “Hey, tom do you want to-?” I didn’t finish my sentence though because they weren’t noticing me. I told myself it was okay and just went to ask someone else.

“Brittany, do you want to be my partner?” the look in her eyes said she didn’t want to be mean so she just started jogging quickly until she joined hands with Katelynne. That was fine, Katelynne is nice and pretty.

“Jaime?” the slightly younger boy had just stared at me dumbfounded. “Our moms have book club at my house every Tuesday. We carpool in the mornings.”

He didn't do anything after I spoke, just looked at me for another minute without saying anything before treading over to Tony.

Tears were welling in my eyes as Ms. Nelson made her way over to me. “Well Victor, looks like it’s you and me again.”


That’s how it always was. A couple times a week I used to just think it was just me, that I was so repulsive on the inside and out that no one wanted to be around me. My parents were nice, they tried to get me into activities and after school sports but I just always seemed to fade into the background.

Kellin seemed to fade into the background sometimes too. He had a lot of acquaintances but only a close knit group of friends. Sometimes throughout lunch I’d stare at his beauty.

It wasn't until freshman year that I finally got to talk to Kellin, only if it were minutes at a time. That was until we were assigned that project together.

We were sitting on his queen sized bed both indian style when he spoke. “Hey Vic, I know that we don’t really know each other but I’m glad you ended up being my partner.”

I couldn’t stop the blush that was making its way all over my face. “Thanks, that means a lot to me.”

Two weeks later when we were finishing the last of our big project I decided that I was going to go for it and tell him I like him. I wasn’t going to be a chicken anymore. I was going to stand up and raise my voice towards something.

“So I was thinking that maybe after the project we could hang out more, you know? I like hanging out with you.” Kellin wasn't one to be too shy but at the moment he was, it was written all over his face. Every fiber of my being wanted to just jump for joy. He didn’t want to ditch me or ignore me like everyone else had.

I think I was so elated that I couldn't even control what happened next. Both of my hands went to cupping his cheeks and I kissed him, full on the lips and everything. He didn't respond and that’s when I’d finally realized what I just did. I kissed Kellin Bostwick.

With that realization I pulled back with the most apprehensive look as I waited for his response. He didn’t do anything for a second; he just stared at me. I knew it. I had just ruined everything, it’s all my fault. Now I’ll have no friends for the rest of my life.

The more Kellin just stared at me the more I felt like I wanted to just die and cry right there. There were so many thoughts running through my head that I couldn't even stop them from coming out of my mouth. “I am so sorry, I didn’t mean to do that. I just couldn’t help myself. You were right here and I really like you-.”

My brain was moving so fast that I barely felt Kellin’s hands cupping my cheeks and then his lips were on mine. I easily let myself melt into the kiss. This was too good to be true. Just as I felt like we’d just begun his lips were off of mine. His smile was hard to miss and I could feel myself turn into putty. “Are you okay now?”

I didn’t know what to say. All I could do was smile so hard that my face was beginning to hurt. What did this mean? Kellin had kissed me. He initiated it the second time.

“Stop it, breathe. I know your brain is going a thousand miles a minute. I like you Vic and I have for a while.” Was I hearing this correctly? Someone actually likes me. Someone wants to be around me. I couldn't help myself from pecking him on the lips. It was just, I couldn’t contain any of my emotions anymore at this point.

Just as our lips were about to meet again there was a big booming noise. It came from the back of the house. Both Kellin and I’s eyes widened as we both rushed his door. As soon as the door was open both of our lungs were filled with smoke. There were large flames coming from the end of the house and my eyes were quickly starting to water. We had no idea what was going on.

“Come on, we need to get out of here Vic. I’m pretty sure the heater tank just exploded.” My brain and feet were in two different places right now. It’s like I’d forgotten how to walk at this moment.

Smoke was filling the house so quickly that we could barely see where we were walking. I was also starting to get very dizzy. I had to hold onto the wall.

Loud buzzes were filling the house and that’s when I heard a scream from Kellin. I could barely see him but what I did see was fire and it seemed to be attached to Kellin’s pant leg. I tried to rush over to him as fast as possible but my feet didn't want to cooperate. I ended up tripping on one of my shoelaces and fell right beside the beautiful boy beside me. “I can’t go on.”

Kellin coughed loudly before he was out. I started to panic before my head couldn't take anymore. I thought I heard a separate voice before everything went black and I passed out.


As I was sitting on the chair contemplating my life, he didn't show. I’ve been waiting days and still wasn't satisfied with the moment. Mike came into my room and sat on the bed just staring into space. It must have been hard for him being only thirteen. It wasn't easy. I looked at him one more time before getting up from the chair and walking out of the room.

I could hear the cries from my mother coming from her room. I’d been hearing it for what felt like so long that during the nights I didn’t come home. “I hear you’ve been looking for me.”

There was a smirk on his face as his green eyes sparkled. I couldn't believe it. “What happened? Where have you been?”

“Looking for you mostly. It’s been hard trying to get through the path but now we’re here.” Kellin grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I couldn’t believe it, we were finally together.

“I’m scared. What’s going to happen to us?” my voice was shaking, that much was for sure.

Kellin just looked at me and smiled. He didn't have to even think before he spoke. “I don’t really think it matters what happens to us, more that we’re together. We found each other. We’ll always find each other because it’s you and me. Us. And that’s all we need.”

It wasn't until after Kellin had stated that fact that we saw this bright light. It was so calming. With our hands clasped together we walked out of the front door of the house and the only thing I heard was the soft angelic whisper of Kellin telling me that he loved me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know that this seems a little rushed but I got it from a Monster's Uni gif set and it just ended up like this. I tried.