You Let Your Guard Down

Prologue - The Massacre

Blood.

The red, sticky material surrounded a girl about the age of twelve. Her long, auburn hair, now tainted with the crimson substance, smelled strongly of iron.

‘Dead’ was the only comprehensible word that ran through the child’s head as she stared at the familiar bodies of her caregivers.

In the midst of it all was a boy no older than fourteen. The blood stained katana he held proved that this was his doing.

“Itachi, why?” the twelve-year-old asked, confusion evident in her voice.

The raven-haired murderer just stood there, letting silence answer her question. His cold, emotionless eyes penetrated her wide, hazel orbs.

The sudden sound of running feet made them both turn towards the oncoming survivor. A young boy around the age of eight came, tripping and panting, into view. His face was covered in a mix of tears and dirt. As for his dark-colored hair with midnight blue highlights, it was stained with blood.

He approached the two figures but stopped short when he acknowledged the presence of the older boy holding the bloodied weapon. The expression on the young boy’s face quickly turned from one of puzzlement to horror as realization dawned on him.

“Big brother!” the eight-year-old cried fearfully, “You couldn’t have!”

Refusing to accept the fact that his brother killed their family, the young boy hastily approached the murderer known as Itachi.

Big mistake.

In the fraction of a second the little brother found himself face to face with the long blood covered katana. Eyes wide as saucers, the boy with blue highlights could do nothing but stare at the weapon.

Terror was written across his face.

“Sasuke, get back!” the auburn haired girl shouted, demandingly.

The little brother obeyed and hurriedly backed away from the scene, though making sure he stayed within earshot of their conversation.

“Itachi, why? Just, why?” the twelve-year-old asked once more, exasperation clearly evident in her voice.

Again, the older Uchiha stayed silent.

“God damn it, say something!” the girl yelled with fury.

Itachi’s expression stayed impassive. It was impossible to tell whether he was going to answer or not.

Finally the raven-haired boy decided to speak.

“I was merely testing my skills,” he said calmly then gestured to the bodies on the ground. “They didn’t put up much of a fight,” he paused then looked towards the remaining survivors.

“Maybe you two will turn out to be more amusing.”

A sharp gasp of fear emitted from the younger brother’s lips after these words were spoken.

“No, I don’t want to die!” cried the little boy as he ran to the older girl.

Instinctively, she put a protective arm around him and pulled him close.

“Miyuki, please tell me I’m dreaming! Please!” Sasuke begged as the tears rolled down his face.

The girl, known as Miyuki, looked down at the younger Uchiha and gave a small but sad smile. Sasuke looked despairingly at the scene around him then collapsed on to the cold, hard ground, crying uncontrollably.

The auburn-haired girl quickly knelt down beside the weeping boy and attempted to comfort him.

The emotionless murderer gave a grunt of disgust.

“Foolish little brother, your hate’s not strong enough…you’re not strong enough! That’s right cling to your worthless life, live in shame, and when you’re stronger, I’ll come find you.” Itachi said cold-heartedly.

That was the last straw.

“Shut up!” Miyuki yelled as she snapped her head up to face the murderer.

Itachi turned sharply at the sudden outburst and glared at the girl’s insolent behavior.

“I can’t believe you Itachi,” Miyuki continued. “You’ve forgotten everything, haven’t you!”

It was a statement, not a question.

A gusty breeze blew past the two as the auburn-haired girl recalled what the Uchiha taught her.

‘Violence is used only when necessary. Never use what you’ve learned if you think you’re using them for the wrong reasons.’

His words rang clear as day in the young girl’s ears. It was as if the wind itself had spoken it.

“You told me never to use your powers for the wrong reasons,” Miyuki cried angrily. “So are you telling me that this was the right reason?”

“This wasn’t about reasons,” Itachi said calmly, “This was something I chose to do.”

“Itachi, I’ll never forgive you!” Miyuki yelled venomously as the Uchiha disappeared into the darkness of the night.

Unbeknownst to the two, that promise would very soon be shattered.