You Let Your Guard Down

Memories: The First Lesson

"Itachi!" Fugaku Uchiha called as he entered the kitchen of the Uchiha's main residence.

A nine-year-old Itachi, who was currently leaning against the sink talking to an eight-year-old Miyuki, turned swiftly towards his father's voice.

"Yes father?" the raven-haired boy inquired.

Miyuki, who was currently washing the dishes, also turned to address the head of the Uchiha clan.

"You should get training, there're lots to be done these days." Fugaku commanded.

"Yes father." Itachi replied then gave Miyuki the see-you-later look and exited the kitchen.

"Miyuki," Fugaku continued, "After you're done with the dishes, go help Mikoto with the laundry."

"Yes sir!" Miyuki answered swiftly, then turned back to the sink to rinse off another white porcelain plate.

It was around early afternoon when the auburn-haired girl finally walked out of the house. The sun's warm and inviting rays danced on her face as she scanned the yard for Itachi's mother.

Spotting the black-haired woman by a nearby tree, Miyuki rapidly made towards her.

"Here, let me help." the small girl offered and immediately retrieved a black t-shirt from the straw-woven basket.

As they hung clothing after clothing on the white line, Miyuki began wondering what Itachi was up to.

Her deep-in-thought expression must've shown, for Mikoto suddenly asked, "What's on your mind?"

Startled by the question, Miyuki stuttered, "Huh? Oh! Um, sorry!" then sheepishly said, "I was just wondering what Itachi was doing."

Not wanting Mikoto to think the wrong way Miyuki quickly added, "I mean, he seems to be training day and night and well, I was just wondering if I could be as good as him."

Mikoto laughed gently at the girl's embarrassment and said, "Why don't you go see for yourself?"

"Oh, I couldn't, I'm supposed to be helping you with the laundry!" Miyuki said hurriedly.

"Go on! He should be in the woods around back. Besides, we're almost done here anyways." Mikoto argued.

Miyuki glanced at the nearly finished laundry basket then turned to Itachi's mom who gave an approving smile. Finally she gave in, and decided to go, thanking Mikoto as she left.

After entering the woods, the young girl wandered around for a bit before she finally found Itachi sitting on a large rock, looking very bored.

"I thought you were training." Miyuki said as she climbed onto the boulder and sat down beside him.

Itachi, who was currently playing with a kunai knife, swinging it back and forth, glanced over at the girl who had just arrived.

"I was." Itachi said simply as he stopped playing with his weapon and threw it at a nearby tree with a target board mounted on it.

As expected it hit the center mark, spot on.

Miyuki looked closely at each tree and realized that the Uchiha had been training for a while. Every target had a kunai knife sticking out their yellow center.

The 2 children sat on the rock enjoying the comforting silence and the company of one another.

"It must be hard being the 'Pride of the Uchiha'." The girl said suddenly.

Itachi who seemed alarmed by the queer comment asked, "Why would you say that?"

"Well I mean you're always doing everything around here that needs to be done. Sometimes I wonder if you even have time for yourself." Miyuki replied simply.

Itachi thought for a minute and said, "Well, what about you?"

Miyuki looked at the Uchiha, confusion written across her face.

"You're always doing the dirty work around here. You don't have time either." The prodigy elaborated.

The eight-year-old pondered over Itachi's statement then said, "True, but at least you're doing something useful. I'd give anything to be a ninja."

"Why's that?" Itachi asked quizzically.

Miyuki grinned and jumped off the rock she was currently sitting on.

"I don't want to witness anymore deaths!" Miyuki exclaimed, then solemnly added, "I've already lost my entire clan during the 3rd great ninja War. I don't want to lose anyone else. So, if I become a shinobi, not only will I be able to protect the people I love, but I'll be able to protect this whole village."

Itachi looked astonished by Miyuki's sudden statement. He thought for a long moment then gave a sly smile.

"Ok then, show me what you've got." The prodigy declared.

Miyuki stared at the Uchiha, completely dumfounded.

"You're going to have to do way better than that." Itachi joked.

"You'll teach me?" Miyuki asked disbelievingly.

"Sure, why not?" Itachi said then added sternly, "But remember, violence is used only when necessary. Never use what you've learned if you think you're using them for the wrong reasons."

Grinning, the auburn-haired girl waved two fingers beside her head in a salute.

"Copy that! When do we start?"