You Let Your Guard Down

5 Years

A ten-year-old boy was sitting on a hillside with a nine-year-old girl. Although they were soaked, their laughter could be heard from afar. Everything seemed perfect: the sweet smell of summer grass, the fire-red sky, the warm yellowish glow of the sun, and the sound of the cool stream flowing just below the 2 children. The only things that were out of focus were their faces. For some strange reason, they were blurred, or rather hazy. It was as if they did not wish to be seen…or remembered…

"Miyuki! Wake up! Hey!"

Miyuki woke up with a start, lost her balance, and fell off the tree branch she was resting on.

"Ow! Kakashi! What was that for?" Miyuki asked the silver haired man who, so rudely, interrupted her pleasant nap.

"Huh?" the silver haired jounin, known as Kakashi, played dumb.

"Don't give me that crap!" Miyuki scowled, "I know it was you!"

"Oh," Kakashi said slowly as he racked his brain for an excuse. However, he knew all too well that there was no fooling the auburn haired girl, so he admitted reluctantly, "Well, uh, you were slacking off, so I had to do something about it," then thoughtfully added, "consider it a wake up call."

Miyuki growled in annoyance. The seventeen-year-old was supposed to help Kakashi train his team.

"Ok, well what exactly are they supposed to be doing?" Miyuki asked bitterly, gesturing to the 3 genins standing nearby.

Kakashi chuckled guiltily and said, "Ha! Funny, I haven't really thought of that yet."

"WHAT!" Sakura, a pink haired kunoichi, and Naruto, a yellow haired knucklehead ninja, yelled in unison. Miyuki sighed and as usual, Sasuke, now thirteen, stayed silent.

'He's becoming more like his brother.' Miyuki thought then grimaced at the thought of that murderous traitor.

Five long years had passed and she still couldn't get him out of her head!

Every time she thought about him, her heart skipped a beat, her stomach did somersaults and to top it all off, her palms got all sweaty. There was no way that she could be in love with him, though. That was just wrong. Besides, she told him that she'd never forgive him. Love, was something Miyuki just couldn't understand. But one thing was for certain. She was most definitely not in love with Itachi Uchiha… right?

"Hey Miyuki, you're here to help me, right? So why don't you think of something." Kakashi said abruptly, breaking her train of thoughts.

"Uh, alright then, why don't we work on―" Miyuki started but was soon interrupted by a dark haired woman running towards the group.

"Miyuki! Lady Tsunade wishes to see you!" the fifth hokage's assistant, Shizune, informed urgently.

"Oh alright, I'll be right there." Miyuki replied irritated by the endless amount of jobs that she seemed to have acquired over the span of three minutes.

"Hey! What about our training?" Naruto yelled impatiently.

Miyuki thought for a while then said, "Okay! I got it," she motioned for the three genins to huddle up, "Ok here's your training –" Miyuki trailed off searching for an appropriate word then added, "mission."

"Our training-mission?" Sakura asked confused.

"Yup, it's training but it's considered a mission too. Well that is if you're willing to accomplish it." Miyuki replied deviously.

Her trap was in place.

"Oh, ok! So, what's our training-mission?" Naruto asked eagerly.

"Ready?" Miyuki questioned as all three leaned in closer, "Your training-mission is to… unmask Kakashi!"

"Unmask Kakashi-sensei?" Naruto asked slightly puzzled.

"Yeah, aren't you curious to know what's behind that mask?" Miyuki questioned.

"Come to think of it, sort of…" Naruto trailed off as the thought began to sink in.

"Alright then, it's settled. That's your training-mission!" Miyuki confirmed.

"Hn," Sauske grumbled, "That's stupid."

The seventeen-year-old glanced over at the young Uchiha. Somehow she knew he'd say that, and she was ready for it.

"Oh, really?" Miyuki countered, "So, you're saying if Kakashi has lips the size of a blimp under that mask, you wouldn't care?"

The bait.

Sasuke stayed silent and Miyuki knew she struck a nerve.

"What if he has buck teeth?" Naruto added catching on to the clever girl's cunning plan.

The persuasion.

The dark-haired boy held his ground for a few seconds before giving in.

"Oh alright, I'll do it! But only because it's a mission." Sasuke said reluctantly.

Bingo. Operation: Convince Sasuke, complete.

Miyuki grinned and ruffled the familiar dark colored hair with blue highlights.

Sasuke glowered, but in his eyes, Miyuki saw that he too was remembering the days when she used to do that all the time.

"Miyuki! We have to go!" Shizune yelled insistently.

"Ok! Ok!" Miyuki grounded out in aggravation, then swiftly left with the older lady.