You Let Your Guard Down

An Urgent Mission

"Miyuki, I have received a vital message from the Village hidden in the Sand." Lady Tsunade stated as Miyuki stood in front of her desk that was currently cluttered with scrolls and mountains of documents, "As you are aware, the Kazekage was killed not too long ago and the Sand village is quite unstable," Miyuki gave a small nod to show that she was following the situation at hand, "It was during this time that a very important file was stolen: A file containing secrets of the five great nations."

Knowing all too well where this was headed Miyuki sighed and said, "And I suppose you want me to get this document back."

"Correct." Lady Tsunade replied.

The auburn-haired girl groaned at the thought of another mission.

"Why can't you get Kakashi or Asuma to do it?" Miyuki ask childishly.

"Because firstly, they have missions of their own, and secondly, this is classified as an S-ranked mission." Lady Tsunade said firmly.

This got the young lady's attention.

"S-ranked? Why?" Miyuki questioned curiously.

"The people who took the file aren't ordinary Ninja." The fifth hokage explained, "That file had 12 Anbu members guarding it, along with numerous deadly traps. In the end, all the traps were sprung and no one guarding the file was left alive."

The female ninja contemplated this new piece of information.

"Oh, now I see how you want me to go." Miyuki said then asked disbelievingly, "But 12 Anbu members and not one of them survived?"

"Hard to believe, but true," Lady Tsunade confirmed, "You work only part time as an Anbu because you already get all the more dangerous and difficult regular missions. Also, I've seen what you've been able to do and I've concluded that you're the only one who's capable of accomplishing this task. So, I'm afraid you're going to have to do it. It's not up for discussion." The blond woman crossed her arms to show that her decision was final.

Miyuki sighed dejectedly knowing she couldn't talk her way out of this one.

"Alright I'm on it!" The young Anbu accepted the mission and was gone in a flash.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

'Ugh! I hate wearing this mask!' Miyuki thought as she jumped from tree to tree, searching for any evidence the enemy might have left behind.

"Who am I kidding? They're S-ranked criminals, why would they leave any evidence?" the Anbu asked no one in particular.

'The Sand ninja's told me they went this way, two figures wearing a black cloak. The authorities dispatched a group of jounins to follow them about an hour ago…' Miyuki thought, and then looked around the vast, green forest, which was located about 5 km away from the Sand village.

The fifteen-year-old growled in frustration as she stared at the empty woodland then yelled, "…But they could've gone anywhere!"

After a few minutes of aimless wandering, she stopped and began to think, 'Wouldn't the enemies fight back if a group of jounins were following them? And if their opponents were strong enough to take down 12 Anbu members then dealing with jounins would be a piece of cake. Meaning…'

"They'll be blood shed." Miyuki said then cringed as a picture of Itachi flashed across her mind.

'Why is it that everything has to be tied back to Itachi? Why can't I just forget about him?" Miyuki scowled in annoyance.

"Alright! Let's do this," the Anbu said, pushing the flood of thoughts on the Uchiha away, "Summoning Jutsu!"

On cue, a fairly large, white wolf appeared out of the sand and dust that Miyuki had just created.

"Hello Miyuki, long time no see." The wolf greeted politely.

"Hey Akira, listen, I need you to―" Miyuki began but was interrupted by Akira's low growling.

"Ugh! What is that awful stench? It smells like…blood. And lots of it too." the white wolf rumbled as the course fur on her back stood up.

"Great! I was hoping you would." Miyuki said proud that her strategy had worked.

"And remind me again, what part of people dying is 'great'" the canine asked sarcastically.

"The part where they create more space for even better people in the world. Besides, life is just one damned thing after another." Miyuki joked.

The elegant wolf sighed and muttered, "Jeez, why can't you ever answer with something more common?"

"Yeah, like what?" the Anbu inquired.

"Like how there's nothing great about death." Akira answered simply.

"Don't be so pessimistic." Miyuki countered.

The wolf scoffed and said incredulously, "You think I'm being pessimistic? I'm not the one who said that 'Life is just one damned thing after another'."

Miyuki laughed at how serious the canine was. "Alright Akira, whatever you say. Now, can we please get back on track?"

"Right, so I'm guessing you want me to take you to the place of the massacre?" Akira asked edgily.

"That's right! I'll explain what happened along the way." Miyuki said, happy that they were finally getting somewhere.