You Let Your Guard Down

Memories: Kekkei Genkai

"Hey! Stop that! AGH!" eight-year-old Miyuki shrieked as Itachi splashed the cold river water all over her.

The girl was supposed to be helping Itachi with his fireball technique. However, since it was already perfected, there wasn't much training to do.

"Oh! You're going to pay for that!" Miyuki threatened, as her eyes flashed dangerously.

"I'd like to see you try." Itachi teased as Miyuki advanced on him with a look of vengeance.

After about half an hour, the girl's determination began to waver. Not only was Miyuki soaked from head to toe, but her recent trip underwater had her coughing up the clear liquid for the umpteenth time that afternoon.

Looking over at the Uchiha, the sopping girl was infuriated to see that he had stayed nice and dry while she drowned in his torture. Heaven have mercy, he wasn't even wet!

Infuriated, Miyuki rounded on Itachi.

"Argh, this isn't fair! You're using your Sharingan." Miyuki complained, clearly aggravated by his unjust advantage.

Amused by the girl's anger, Itachi said slyly, "Well, think of it this way, when you're fighting an enemy, you don't exactly get to choose the techniques that your opponent uses."

Miyuki contemplated this new piece of knowledge as Itachi, now wearing a look of amusement with just a hint of malice, said informatively, "Oh and by the way, you let your guard down."

Before the confused girl could even register what was going on, she was dunked, head first, into the cold flowing water.

As Miyuki emerged from the river, coughing and sputtering, Itachi sat coolly on a tree branch grinning down at her soggy figure.

The angry girl whipped around to look at her assaulter who was currently laughing so hard that he could've easily fallen off the tree branch that he was perched on.

"Oh, enough all ready!" Miyuki yelled frustrated, and threw her hands up in exasperation.

Suddenly, without warning, a huge wave of river water hit Itachi leaving him drenched, and just a little confused.

The girl, with her hands still in the air, blinked several times, completely puzzled.

"D-Did I do that?" Miyuki stammered, clueless of what had just happened.

"Hmm, let's see, I certainly didn't do that, and there obviously doesn't seem to be anyone else around. So yeah, I guess you did." Itachi replied sarcastically.

"Seeing as you still have the energy to tease me, I take it that I didn't do as much damage as I wanted to. But still, how did I do that?" Miyuki asked quizzically.

Itachi pondered for a second, wondering how he should answer the question, then said wisely, "Sometimes we discover new things at times when we least expect it."

Still a little confused, Miyuki clarified, "So, in this case, I let my guard down – this being the least expecting time, and I discovered that I could control water?"

"Yeah, basically," Itachi confirmed, "But, really controlling water is more of a Kekkei Genkai – a bloodline trait."

"Oh, sweet!" Miyuki exclaimed as she doused Itachi with yet another giant wave.

The afternoon ended with them sitting by the water. Although they were soaked, their laughter could be heard from afar…