My Janey

April 23rd

I can remember the first day I saw Janey. We had just moved to Holmes Chapel both my sister Gemma and I still not understanding what was going on now. All that we knew was dad would be staying behind in Evesham while we moved back to Holmes Chapel with mum. I remember being miserable because my favorite toys were packed away on a truck that was meeting us at our new home. Gemma hadn't helped the feeling with all of her annoying antics.

When we pulled into our new drive way that's when my eyes landed on Janey for the first time. She was running after another girl around their yard that was connected to ours. Her long blonde hair flying behind her, blue eyes shinning bright even from where I sat in the car, and even at six I knew, I just knew, I was in love with her.

When I got out of the car I couldn't take my eyes off of her she was captivating. She must have felt my stare because she stopped right when she would have caught the other girl twirling around to meet my stare.

"Hello!" She waved excitedly at me. She wasted no time in running towards me her smile bright. "Is this your house?"

I had nodded my head mutely. I had never been good with meeting new people. Gemma came around the side of the car then wanting to see who was talking to her pesky little brother.

"Oh hi!" Janey exclaimed now even more excited. "I'm Jane and this my sister Ruth."

Gemma and Ruth upon finding out they were both seven ran off together leaving me and Janey. That would be how our childhood went until Gemma and Ruth parted ways at eleven, but Janey and I were always one. Never one without the other we were one entity moving through Holmes Chapel.

"How old are you Harry?" Janey was always curious about me by the time we were teenagers she knew me better then I knew me.

"Six." Was my shy reply I had yet to gain that confidence I had now.

"I'm five!" Janey was always excited about everything no matter how small. "We are going to be best friends Harry."

The next afternoon was the first time I ever called her Janey. We were playing in her yard while my mum unpacked my room. She was making a crown out of dandelions while I used a truck to haul the weeds to her.

"Janey, where do you want them?"

She looked at me surprised at first it most have been the first time she had been called that. Then she smiled one of her shinning smiles blue eyes glittering like mad.

"Right here is fine." She said pointing to a spot next to her. "You need a nickname now too!"

"A nickname?" I asked confused. "What's wrong with my name?"

"Oh nothing." Janey said quickly. "But if you get to call me Janey then I get to call you something."

We sat there for a moment both in thought. I had never thought about what I would want to be called other then Harry. Then suddenly, in her Janey fashion, Janey was clapping excitedly.

"I know!" She gave me a large grin. "Hazza! Like you're doing a magic trick and at the end you go Hazza!"

It was a silly nickname back then just something we liked to call each other. We never would have expected it to last we only ever called each other by those names, although there were rare occasions were we had to call each other by our real names. She would forever be my Janey and I would always be her Hazza. I will never like hearing people call me Hazza unless its her sweet voice but whenever I hear it I at least get to think of my Janey again.