My Janey

September 12th

A week later the worst thing, at the time, happened. I had just walked out of Maths my brain was drained from learning about why x equals y when I saw Janey and Roger. Her hand was in his and she was positively beaming. It seemed in the ninety minutes since I last saw Janey Roger had made his move. I was beyond gutted.

"Haz!" She exclaimed when her blue eyes found me. "Guess what happened!"

I shrugged eyes down cast. "You and Roger are together?"

"That's right." Roger said gruffly.

I didn't like it. Not one bit.

"Congrats?" It came out as a question without my meaning for it to. Not that Janey noticed. "I have to go to Biology now, I'll see you after class Janey?"

Her smile was lost for a moment as her eyes widened. "Oh Haz, I'm so sorry I forgot we were going to study! I old Roger I'd go to footie practice with him."

My Janey was replacing me. for the rest of the day this was the phrase running through my mind. Janey had a boyfriend who was taking her away from me.

I walked home alone feeling pretty rejected. I hardly ever had to walk home alone Janey was always with me. The feeling that everything this is changing is never nice.

"Where's Jane?" My mum asked when I got home. I fell on to out couch my head falling back. "Is everything alright between you?"

"No." I groaned. "She has a boyfriend."

"Oh no."

"My thoughts exactly." I mumbled. I didn't feel right not having my Janey with me, it felt even worse when I remembered where she was and who she was with. "She's at football practice with Roger."

"Are you upset because you think he isn't good enough or because you want her to like you?" My mum was always good at seeing my true intentions.

"Both." I answered honestly.

"You've been love with that girl since you were five." Mum said coming to sit next to me. She put a hand on my arm trying to reassure me. "Just tell her already."

"Well I can't now! She's with that bloody wanker!"

"Harry, if you told her she would drop him faster then you can say wanker!" Mum laughed which made me smile. "Trust me babe, she loves you too."

I spent that night locked in my room. I was depressed. There are no other words for how I felt that night all alone. I never have liked being alone but like everything that involves my Janey it was different. I could already feel the connection between us straining to stay together. We were getting older it was inevitable, nothing could stop us from differing and finding new friends. I had had a girlfriend before and now it was Janey's turn to have that first romance. Only I wish she wouldn't have.