Status: I wanted to rewrite a story I had a while back. Some things have changed. And comments would be nice xD

My New Life

Chapter Thirteen

I sat on the couch with Anthony, and I was laying against a sleeping Buster.
“I'll be right back, little man,” Anthony smiled before he walked upstairs. I nodded and snuggled up beside Buster and watched Digimon on the TV. Landon picked me up from school, and soon after we got home, he had to go to work. He said Shaun and Nick were going to be home soon, but I had to do anything Anthony said because he was watching me right now. Anthony never asked for much, though. He just wanted me to behave, which I always was. I was so sleepy. My first day at school was a lot, and I was sleepy. I dozed off a little, until Anthony came back downstairs and sat beside me.
“You tired?” He asked.
“Mhm,” I nodded and yawned. He rubbed my shoulder, and I laid my head on his lap. I closed my eyes and listened to Digimon while he kept rubbing my shoulder.
“What do you want for dinner?” He asked.
“Pizza,” I smiled and opened my eyes.
“Pizza?!,” Anthony started tickling me and I giggled, “What kind of pizza?”
“Good pizza,” I stuck my tongue out.
“Smart ass,” he smiled and ruffled my hair, “Alright. I'll order some pizza for us.” Anthony gently stood up and walked into the kitchen. I sat up, yawned and started playing with Buster. As Anthony was talking on the phone, I looked outside the window. It was raining hard, and I saw Haley sitting outside on her front porch.
“Buster, why is Haley out in the rain?” I frowned. Buster's ears fell and he licked my cheek. After I kissed Haley's sore on her head, she seemed happy the rest of the day. But after school was over, she seemed sad again to go back home.
“Do you think Anthony will be mad if I go outside for a second?” I asked. Buster just tilted his head, which meant he didn't know. I rubbed Buster's ears and looked back at Haley. She just looked so sad, and it made me sad. I quickly ran upstairs and slipped my shoes on. I didn't have a jacket yet (Landon said he'd buy me one soon), but I didn't mind getting wet. I went back downstairs and opened the front door slowly. Without Anthony seeing me, I sneaked out of the front door. The rain drenched me as I ran across the street and over to Haley. I sat down beside her, and I saw she was crying.
“What's the matter?” I asked.
“N-Noffin,” Haley kept her head down and kept sniffling.
“Does your head hurt again?”
“No, it's okay.”
“Then why are you crying?” I frowned. Haley wiped her eyes and looked over at me. I noticed one of her eyes were black. My own eye seemed to get scared, because I remember all the times Dad gave me black eyes.
“Your eye...,” I didn't know what to say.
“I know,” Haley started crying again and looked down. I wrapped my good arm around her and she cried in my chest.
“Wh-What happened?” I asked.
“I just got in trouble,” Haley whispered.
“You're not in trouble anymore, right?”
“No, I'm good now. It just hurts,” Haley sniffled.
“Staying in the rain won't help,” I frowned. Haley sat up and wiped her eyes.
“I know. I should go back inside,” she hugged me tight, “Th-Thank you.” I hugged her back and smiled.
“It's okay. But here,” I smiled and took my shirt off, then I laid it over her head, “My Pokemon shirt will keep you safe.”
“A-Are you sure?” She asked. When I nodded, she held it tight to her face.
“When you get sad, just wear the shirt. Then you know I'm there,” I smiled. Haley smiled and hugged me tight again. We both stood up, and I forgot how cold the rain was. I didn't have a shirt on, and I started to shiver.
“I gotta go. See you tomorrow?” I asked. Haley nodded.
“Thank you,” She kissed my cheek and my face got red, “See you later.” After she walked back in her house, I ran back into my house. When I got in, Anthony was standing there.
“I'm so-...,” I couldn't finish before Anthony started talking:
“Look little man, if you wanna give your girlfriend gifts and all, I'm cool with that, ya know. Treat your girl right,” Anthony put a towel over me and smiled, “But make sure you don't get sick, either. Wear two shirts next time, alright? If you get sick, Landon will kill me.”
“But Landon is never mad,” I smiled as I dried my body.
“He'll get mad if he finds out I let you go outside in the rain, without a jacket or a shirt on,” Anthony finished drying my hair and smiled, “Now go upstairs and get changed. The pizza is on the way.” I smiled, nodded and went upstairs to my room with Buster beside me. After I changed into some warmer clothes, I kept worrying. I hope Haley will be okay, and I hope her parents weren't as bad as Dad was. I put my wet clothes in the hamper in the hallway and went back downstairs. Buster followed me back to the couch. I sat and talked with Anthony while we watched Digimon. Adults didn't know anything about Digital Monsters, so I had to explain everything. After the pizza got there, Shaun and Nick got there soon after, and all of us ate and watched TV. I was happy to be with my family, because it was like I had all older brothers. But as the rain got harder, I kept thinking about Haley, and if my shirt was keeping her safe.