Just Friends

23

"Ya better shape up, cause I need a mann and my heart is set on you!" I sang to Nike, (we finally decided on a name for our dog last week). I was sitting on the living room couch, watching Grease and having a party with Nike while Pat was in St Louis.

"You're the one that I want shoo ba da boo da doo ooh ooh ooh honey," I giggled as Nike jumped around, barking at my singing. I stuck my ice cream spoon out for her to lick, just as my phone started ringing.

"Hello?"

"Abbys water broke, meet me at Rush asap!" Erica said quickly, then hung up the phone. I excitedly jumped off the couch and slipped on my jacket and shoes, putting Nike in her cage before rushing out the door. I couldn't help but feel bad for Abby, she was going into labor before her husband even knew, and on top of that, he was in another city.

I got to the hospital in 20 minutes, thanks to Chicago traffic. I wasn't too familiar with the "WAGs" but I knew what they looked like, and most of them were sitting in the waiting room, playing with Mady.

"How exciting!" I said as I took a seat next to Amanda Bickell.

"Poor thing, her and Patrick had a fight right before he left for the road trip, she's a wreck." Dayna Seabrook said as she stepped into the waiting room, holding her new baby boy, Carter.

"Will coach let Pat leave early?" I asked the ladies, figuring they knew more about coaches rules and stuff like that then I would.

Elina, who was also pregnant, shook her head no, "He'll come back tomorrow with all the other guys."

Abby had her sisters in the room with her, and the doctors and nurses were keeping us updated. Pat facetimed me after the game, announcing that they had lost 3-2.

"I got a goal for you," I could see the smile playing on his lips, "Why are you at a hospital? Are you ok? Is Nike okay?"

"Don't worry about your favorite sister, I'm okay!" Erica pushed her way to me, pushing her face on the screen.

I laughed as Erica groaned and returned back to her seat, mumbling about how annoying brothers were. "We're all okay, Abby's in labor though."

"Seriously? Ugh that sucks, tell her to hold it until tomorrow," Pat laughed, causing all the girls around me to laugh and roll their eyes.

"I'll let her know your suggestion, I'll see you tomorrow," I laughed and blew a kiss to the screen, embarrassing Patrick, which is exactly why I did it.

"Where's my kiss?"

"I'm not doing that while everyones watching," Pat mumbled, "I'll never live it down."

"Not even for me?" I pouted. He groaned and shook his head, quickly blowing me a kiss and ending the call before he could hear everyones laughter.

We sat in the waiting room for another 2 hours before the nurse finally came out.

"It's a girl! I don't suppose any of you are the lucky daddy? Or if you know where he is?"

"The lucky daddys in St. Louis playing hockey, he'll be here tomorrow," Sylvie, Corey Crawfords fiancé answered the nurse who nodded understandingly.

"Abbys tired, so we'll give her some time, but can I see the big sister?"

Mady, who was sitting on my lap, playing temple run, looked up at the word 'big sister'. She then proceeded to scrunch her nose, as though the word disgusted her.

"Let's go see your new sister Mads," I removed her from my lap, but she immediately ran to Elinas lap.

"Send her bwack," Mady said, crossing her arms over her small chest. Abbys sister came out just in time, as she picked up Mady and carried her into the room.

_______

Pat twirled a toy by its ears, “Remind me why we’re here again.”

I sighed as I neatly folded the onsie I was looking at before placing it back on the table. “We’re buying a gift for Sadie.”

“The kid won’t care. She’s like eight hours old. When we were there all she did was sleep.”

I sighed again, feeling a headache from being at the hospital all night and most of the morning coming on, “It’s what you do.”

“Can’t we just give a gift card and be done with it? With the amount of stuff Pat told me Abby’s bought, that baby will have a new outfit everyday till she's like 20."

I rolled my eyes as I continued to search through the racks of baby clothes and toys.

“Seriously, they’re not going to care. Let’s just get a card and be done.”

I rolled my eyes, “Look, if you don’t want to be here, just go. I’ll talk to you later.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Can you just pretend to care?”

“I do care, it’s just that we’ve spent the better part of the afternoon looking for something for a baby that has no clue and for parents who I’m sure wouldn’t care either way.”

“But I care, I want to buy the baby something. Humor me okay. Wouldn’t you want people to show they care when you have kids? It's Abby and Sharp, they're some of our best friends.”

Turning around I continued looking through the racks of miniature outfits. Leaving him in the midst of a display of nursing bras.

“When I have kids?”

Nodding I held up a pink dress for inspection, “Yes.”

“What do you mean when you have kids?”

I shrugged, “You know, when you have kids.”

“What about when we have kids?”

I froze, “Sorry?”

“You’re telling me you haven’t thought about it?”

I stumbled over my words, caught off guard, “I, uh-”

He shrugged as he stepped past me, “I think I saw something with a monkey on it over there. Pat says Mady likes monkeys.”

I sighed as I set the dress back on the rack, knowing I had messed up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Congrats to Patrick and Abby Sharp on their new baby girl, Sadie!

I didn't know what to do for this chapter so when I heard that Abby had her baby, I decided to get inspiration from that:) lol.

Sort of filler-ish and boring, but don't worry, as always, there's drama to come!