Status: In progress :)

Lies, Love, and Amnesia

Chapter 3

Chapter 3 is up. Thank you all again for reading.

I'm not particularly proud of this chapter. I had some trouble writing it and its not exactly what I wanted. So here it is for now. I may come back to it in the near future to edit or add stuff, but I will let you all know IF or when I do.

So bare with me if you don't necessarily enjoy this chaper, next one will be better.

I was standing outside; my surroundings engulfed in darkness. In spite of the nearly invisible ground, I could feel the murky mud constrain my body from moving any further.

As bizarre as the scene before me began to unfold, my vision began to focus on a palace that glittered in gold. The palace felt like a very familiar place. It felt like home for brief period of time. The ground, the scent, the environment, and the feelings. But it was too dark. Everything was filled with complete darkness and empty blackness besides the golden palace in my foresight. Not only that, there was no sound, except for the distant sound of whistling. I couldn't make out the tune. It was too distant.

As I began to hear the whistle with more clarity, a dark figure appeared yards away from me. I couldn't figure out who he was. I narrowed my eyes but the only distinct and prominent feature I was able to observe was the helmet the person wore. It was golden with long horn-like projections extending backwards.

The man spoke, "My darling."

The voice resonating from the man felt alien. It was calm, yet authoritative.

"Aurora." He spoke again. But that is not my name. Who is Aurora?

I began feeling shrouded with confusing thoughts running and bouncing in my head by repeating this same question again and again, "where am I?…where am I?…where am I? WHERE AM I?"….The voice inside my head got louder and louder every second. I was afraid that my brain couldn't handle it and I might die in my own sleep.

Similar to every other night, without moving a muscle, my eyes suddenly open and I found myself breathing heavy and I've broken out in a light sweat. My room is dark and calm and all I can hear is the pounding of my heart. Before I move any part of my body, I slowly scan my room looking for anyone else or any thing in it with me. I realize I'm alone.

Everyone has experienced that one reoccurring dream, or nightmare. As for mine, I have dreamt the same dream every other night for as long as I could remember. Nothing new is ever learned nor have I been brave enough to figure it out, this man in my dreams, and a seemingly unrealistic palace.

Once I was fully awake, I began to pack my belongings. Apparently, my help as an agent would be needed in New Mexico.

'Ellie, I booked you the next flight to New Mexico. Please be on it and on time.' The voice mail my father left. The sound of urgency in his voice didn't go unnoticed. Interrogation or just company was my specialty, partly because of my ability.

/

The rain pattered and the wind rapped against the opaque tarp dome. Although it was a chilly, dreary day, something menacing could be felt in the air. The clouds shrouded the night sky with an eerie, ominous blanket. From my perch on the second floor of the dome-like structure, I stared down at the thing seemingly stuck in rock.

It was mind-boggling. I had been an Agent for SHIELD for several years now and this has to be the strangest I have seen by far. I stood there pondering the implications of this 'thing' and what 'it' could mean.

"I'm sure you can't possibly read that thing, Ellie." I heard Agent Barton behind me, chuckling.

I giggled, "No Clint, I can't."

He stood next to me for a brief few seconds in silence, before Clint asked, "So what is it like? You know to read other people's thoughts?"

I laughed a little louder this time. Many of the Agents asked questions to me or one's similar to his. I have almost perfected the response to explain my ability. However, my other abilities I have kept secret, between my father, Fury and I.

"Emotions. I am not a mind reader." I corrected him.

"Pst, What's the difference?"

I reached out with my hand, touching his face. For a brief moment he closed his eyes.

"You see, you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel."

"That almost sounded poetic." Clint laughed.

A buzz of static interrupted our light-hearted conversation. "We need eyes up high. With a gun."

The voice was my father's. Instinctually, we both knew something was wrong and ran our separate ways.

"What have we got?" I asked short of breath to a near-by agent in the control room.

"There is a massive electromagnetic field surge coming off that thing. Systems are barely working."

The look on my father's face was one of frustration and annoyance. He picked up his two-way radio, "Clint, talk to me?"

"You want me to slow him down sir? Or are you sending in more guys for him to beat up?"

Him? There is a person involved? Who could...?

I ran after my father, following him outside and into the rain, overlooking the thing.

"Last chance, sir." Barton spoke over the radio waves.

"Wait. I want to see this." Coulson replied.

Below us, I watched a man struggle with all his strength to pull this thing out of the ground. I tried to use my ability on him. I tried to read him from afar. I got nothing. It was strange to know that this man was the first person I could not get inside his head. Until My father ordered for him to be taken away.

/

My father led me to a small room. The room had no windows, nothing was hanging on the walls and no telephone, so that the room was free from any distraction; one straight-up chair without arms, for the suspect without a table inbetween him, me and Coulson. The logic behind this concept is that a table, a physical barrier in between, will lead to become a psychological barrier, and will be more advantageous to a suspect than an interrogator.

"It's not easy to do what you did. You made my men, some of the most highly trained professionals in the world look like a bunch of minimum-wage mall cops. In my experience, it takes someone who's received similar training to do what you did to them. Why don't you tell me where you received that training? Afghanistan, Chechnya? No, you strike me more as the soldier of fortune type. Who are you?" Coulson spoke.

I waited within the control room. My father thought that playing bad cop, good cop would be more advantageous. I watched him speak through the tinted glass. I could see the pair but neither one could see me.

Coulson's phone rang and excused himself from the room. He spoke on the phone momentarily before motioning me to take over the interrogation.

"Good-bye."

"Good-bye? I just got here." I chuckled passively to the man's comment.

His piercing blue eyes instantly locked on mine. His stare was unwaveringly eerie.

"Aurora."

"Excuse me? My name is Agent Ellie," I began, "You will address me as so." I paced back and forth in front of him, feeling uncomfortable under his gaze. I tried to read him over and over again but to no avail.

"My brother would be so proud to learn you are still alive. We have mourned for you."

I took a couple steps back, "I believe you have me mistaken for another."

"Lady Aurora, you are a God. Have you not forgotten our memories?"

A God. This man has got to be delusional. The man stood up. Standing tall, he nearly overshadowed me in height, especially in muscle. He took steps toward me as I took steps behind me, backing myself into the wall. He lowered his head, searching my eyes for the truth.

"I am Thor, my friend. You have lost your memories of my brother and I. You are Lady Aurora, God of -"

"Step away from her." I heard my father sternly command this man, who called himself Thor.

A handful of Agents rushed in to restrain him. I stared in shock at the man. I tried to speak but no words came out. I was frozen in shock of the scene that just took place. He spoke with such passion...

The intensity of he way he spoke made me think if what he said could, in fact, be true. I shook the thought from my head several times, dismissing his words as delusional. However, it felt right.

There is everything you know and there is everything that happens. When the two do not line up, you make a choice.