Status: Completed

Decided to Break It

Echo

I’d never been on a date before but Kevvy just set the bar very high for the next one. We had amazing conversations, ate great food (which I purged, duh) and listened to awesome bands at that concert. We got to meet them afterward, even though Kevvy already knew them, and hung out for a while. At about 11:30, I was on my porch, ready to go inside, with Kevvy standing directly in front of me. “I had a blast.” I said smiling from ear to ear. He softly smiled and grabbed my hand. “I really like you, Echo.” I put my head down and bit my bottom lip. I liked him too, a lot actually. But… I just couldn’t get Josh out of my head. I don’t know why. We were simply friends. Best friends… but some part of me wanted more. But he never seemed like he did. “I don’t wanna rush you into anything, ya know? I just… I just wanted to tell you that.” I peeked up at him and he smirked. Using his pointer finger, he lifted up my head and slowly leaned in for a kiss. He was no more than 4 centimeters from my face before the front door swung open.

“Echo, inside. Now!” slurred my drunken father. I pushed Kevvy away, but I meant it in a way to save him… I think he thought I was ashamed of him. He looked hurt and confused but once he saw my dad yank me inside (and heard my arm pop), I think he got the idea. I’m not sure what happened exactly, but somehow Izzy got him off of my back and I was able to quickly escape to my bedroom. Kevvy made me feel all types of… I don’t know. Something. I hadn’t felt anything in a while… unless I was with Josh but… it doesn’t matter. We’re talking about Kevvy here! And what made this night even more awesome, he wasn’t ashamed to be with me. At the bistro, he made a point to hold my hand across the table and he kept his eyes on me during the conversations and at the concert, he kept his arm on me. Whether it was wrapped around my shoulders or my waist… it didn’t matter.

I remembered I was supposed to call Ali but because it was late, I figured I’d just shoot her a text. Josh had already texted me though and I didn’t get it until 2 hours later. It was a simple “CALL ME NOW OH MY GOD!” and I couldn’t tell if it was good or not, so I called. He answered on the first ring. “We got a concert!” He opened. “Huh?” “Well… no. But we’ve got our first paying gig this Saturday and I need you there!” He sounded like a really giddy child and I couldn’t help but feel just as excited about this as he was. He told me all the original songs they were thinking about playing and all the covers they were deciding between. “You guys should definitely cover Creep.” I said and before I could even defend why I wanted it covered, he spoke up. “That’s already on the ‘definitely’ list, babe.” I was gonna say something else but was thrown off by him calling me babe. “Um…” “Fuck. I gotta go.” He hung up quickly and that was it. I didn’t think too much into it, but he kept getting weird and I didn’t like that.

The next day at lunch, everyone was so excited about the gig that no one paid attention to me and Kevvy. He sat by me and the whole time, he held my hand. We weren’t anything. Still friends, as far as I was concerned, but something was bound to happen… right? Amanda squealed and grabbed Matt’s face and kissed it when she found out the news. I guess he didn’t tell her last night when he left practice (I had to hear all about that and how Josh wanted to bash his head in this morning). Josh, sitting on the other side of me, dug his nails into his leg and I lightly scratched it to get his attention. He loosened his grip and I smiled at him. I noticed that he was getting paler every day and his eyes were getting darker circles under them too. I knew he didn’t sleep, neither one of us did, but there had to be something more than just that. Kevvy squeezed my hand some and when I turned to look at him, he’d made a face at me. He knew I couldn’t stand Amanda and he couldn’t either. So the face he made was supposed to be an impression of her. That was the only thing we did in the car on the way back to my house after the concert: just made Amanda impressions. And he was way better at it than I was.

The bell rung and everyone got ready to go back to their classrooms. Josh usually walks me to class but he quickly went to the bathroom, so Kevvy walked me. He was adorable and the way he spoke was so lively and fun. I didn’t wanna suck the life out of him with this depression crap but I didn’t want to not be around him. Josh kept me calm. Kevvy made me feel alive. And lately, I’ve craved that. We stopped in front of my math class and I threw my arms around Kevvy’s neck and hugged him. “Thanks.” I whispered to him. When I stepped back, he planted a soft kiss on my forehead and then laid his head on top of mine. “I don’t wanna go to class.” He whined. I giggled. “Don’t. Come to mine.” I tried to pull him in the room by his shirt but he didn’t move. “I can’t.” He pouted. Adorable. I was about to say something about wanting to be with him when I saw Josh walk toward us. Kevvy’s head was still on mine and he wasn’t trying to move anytime soon. Josh didn’t speak. He just held his stomach with both arms and walked past us with his head down. “Punk!” I called out, confused as to why he didn’t say anything to me. He kept walking and Kevvy lifted his head. “Joshy?” Still nothing. I sighed, clearly upset. “Go in, I’ll talk to him.” I shook my head and he kissed my forehead again, slower this time. I sighed and smiled and he walked off. I think I do want to be with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
;)