Status: Completed

Decided to Break It

Echo

Sleeping isn’t going to happen tonight. I tossed around forever before just giving up and sitting in the corner of my bed. I turned the T.V on and squinted my eyes at the blinding light. I looked down at my thigh and sighed. I didn’t realize that I was that bloody. My entire thigh was completely covered in blood even though I didn’t do much damage. Been 160 hours, almost 7 days, since I’ve last eaten and when I realized that, my stomach growled loudly. It was so loud that I almost didn’t hear my dad slam the front door. But I did hear him scream my mom’s name. “Stefania!” Drunk. I just pulled my blanket over my face and tried to breathe quietly. My mom was dead- he was yelling to my stepmom but nothing was said back. She’d gone out with some coworkers and I hoped my dad would remember that and just go to bed.

But he didn’t and started breaking glasses… again. “Stefania!” I started shaking until he banged on my door. I quit breathing. “Echo, where the hell is your mother?!” He took a credit card and started wiggling it between my door and the frame. Once he got in, he didn’t move. He didn’t say anything- he just roughly breathed. “You haven’t learned yet that blankets don’t save you, huh?” I didn’t move an inch but he did. He lunged at me and snatched the blanket off, throwing it across the room. I balled myself into a corner and he climbed on the bed and overtop of me. I tried fighting him but it didn’t work. He held my arms down with one of his and smacked my face three times with the other.

“Dumb bitch!” He yelled at me. “She left me alone , it’s all your fault! You’re the reason for all of this!” He started punching my body and I couldn’t scream. Or move. Or breathe. “You stupid cunt!” He kept beating me for what seemed like forever until my stepmother came into the room. “Antonio!” She caught him right before he punched me in the face. He scoffed. “Oh now you wanna show up. Where were you Stefania?!” “I’m not Stefania, Tony. We go through this all the time.” She was extremely calm for witnessing what she just saw. “I’m Izzy, remember?” He got off of me and stormed out of the room, she followed, closing my door behind her. I didn’t cry when they left. I didn’t feel anything, emotionally or physically. Instead, I threw up all over my pillow.

I stood near the fence before school started and stared at all the happy little rich kids, driving their little rich cars and holding the hands of their little rich boyfriends/girlfriends. I drank my “water” slowly as I wished for a friend. At that moment (like fucking clockwork), someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around fast as hell and hugged Josh, who stood amazed I guess. He laughed. “Well good morning to you too.” I pulled away and looked at the sky. “Sorry, kid. You’re the only one I know here.” I looked at his face and could tell he’d been crying but he asked me a question before I could ask him. “Wait a minute… kid?” He seemed offended but then smirked a little, so it was okay. “Well yeah but…” “What’s that?” He pointed to my dark water bottle and I smirked this time. “Just water.” “Bullshit.” “Don’t act like you know me.” “I’m not acting.” He took the bottle and turned it up to his mouth, gagging as he stopped the flow. “Fuck, that’s strong.” “Shut up, ya wimp.” I took it from him. “It’s just Coke Zero and Vanilla rum.” “Why?” He turned his head sideways and I smiled at him. “No reason.” “Why?” He repeated. I looked down and when I looked back up, I saw Amanda and Matt walking up to us, hand in hand. “Your friends are here.” He turned around.

Honestly, I can’t tell you what was talked about because I was too busy watching Josh’s reaction to everything. Besides grabbing my bottle and chugging it halfway through the conversation, he was shaky and playing with his hands and couldn’t keep still. His laugh was fake (which is weird that I know that because I shouldn’t know the difference this fast) and his smiles were too. But his eyes never changed. His eyes were still this pale blue and grey color and weren’t really fixated on anything. They kept moving all over the place even though his head stayed still. I wondered if his friends noticed. After a while, they left and Josh let out a huge sigh and fell against the fence. I didn’t know what to do so I didn’t do anything. Useless. “What’d they say?” I asked after a moment. He didn’t answer me. Instead, his breathing got heavier and his eyes got wider.