A Candle in the Dark

E Z R A

Emily and Cora had were doling out dinner, made up of canned vegetables and some Kraft Dinner Bill managed to find in a corner store. The dishes in the camp were whatever anybody had on them, from a Tupperware container to a cracked plate to the SuperGulp that the person who lost rock, paper, scissors had to use.

Meal times were the only circumstances when the whole group was in the same place at the same time. They didn’t last long, however, and then individuals split off to go back to their tents or swim in the nearby lake.

Mid-afternoon was a good time to go on a supply run. The Walkers were fatigued by the heat easier than humans, and couldn’t run as fast. Ezra sat with Jack, discussing whether or not he needed to bring another person with him on the run. Usually Ezra took Maddie, because she was comfortable with the area and he enjoyed her company. But she still hadn’t returned to the camp, after disappearing early in the morning to hunt down a deer. Ezra didn’t like the idea of anybody wandering the forest alone, but Maddie was able to protect herself should the danger arise.

A shout rose through the camp. It was Carter, sitting on the roof of the truck with his rifle now aimed at the tree line. “Movement at eleven o’clock!”

Ezra hopped to his feet, jogging to his Jeep where he kept his weapons. He grabbed the machete and set off in the direction Carter had indicated, Jack hot on his heels. But what came through the trees wasn’t what he expected.

A German Shepherd bounded toward them, tongue hanging out of it’s mouth and tail wagging. Ezra and Jack just stared at it, too surprised to do anything else. Then Maddie appeared, a girl with hair like fire beside her. Ezra’s eyes were drawn to her immediately, out of wonder and curiosity. There was a large backpack on her shoulders and a crossbow in her hand, the quiver hooked onto the side of her pack. It looked like a high quality weapon, like the hunting knife tucked into her belt. But aside from being surprisingly well equipped, Ezra was entranced by the girl herself. She wore stained, dirty clothes and looked exhausted, but her azure eyes were alert and her crimson hair was like a beacon. She was beautiful.

Ezra realized he’d been staring too long, and quickly shifted his gaze to Maddie when the two women approached.

“Found this one in Snatcher territory.” said Maddie, jerking a thumb at the girl. Ezra decided this would be a safe time to look at her again. He noticed immediately that she was looking at Jack, which made his heart sink. Of course. Jack, with his award winning smile and tall, built stature was every girl’s dream. “She’s a Solitary. Told her she could stay with us.”

“Of course,” said Jack, before Ezra could get a word in. The girl smiled wearily at him. “I’m Jack.”

“Astrid,” she replied, shaking his hand. She looked at Ezra through her eyelashes, which were long and a few shades lighter than her hair.

“Ezra,” he said, realizing she was waiting for his name.

“It’s nice to meet you. You’re the first people I’ve seen in three weeks, sorry if I’m a bit frazzled.”

“We’re all a bit frazzled,” Ezra admitted, and she laughed softly.

“Come on, I’ll show you where you can drop your things,” said Jack, and led her away. The dog trotted after them, sticking to Astrid’s heels.

“Get the stars out of your eyes,” Maddie said, elbowing Ezra. “She just got here.”

“I wasn’t—” he argued, but she was already walking toward the tents.

Ezra dropped his machete onto the driver’s seat of his Jeep and went back to his lunch, only to find that Javier had dropped onto the log next to his sister. Letting out an exasperated sigh, he picked up his bowl and shimmied his way between them. “Sorry, kids, I hate to ruin the party.”

“Don’t call me kid, I’m older than you.” said Javier.

Ezra shot him a pointed look. “Exactly.”

Javier rolled his eyes and shifted over so that he wasn’t sitting so close to them. Eden pushed her sunglasses further up her nose and glared at her brother. “You’re such an asshole.” she muttered.

“Sorry for protecting you,” he muttered right back.

Then Jack walked past them with Astrid, explaining the parts of the camp. Ezra couldn’t help it, he followed her with his eyes, taking in her every line and curve. Beside him, Eden snorted. “Who’s the new girl you’re obviously not into?”

“Her name’s Astrid.”

“She has a dog,” observed Eden, watching as the German Shepherd sat down next to Astrid’s feet.

“Yeah.”

“Does the dog have a name?”

“Probably, how am I supposed to know?”

“You’re staring at her like she’s an angel. Sorry for making assumptions.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ezra needs to learn to be more subtle.

So, I've written pretty far ahead in this story, and the next six chapters or so are all about Astrid's first day at the camp. They still shift perspectives though. After that, time jumps between chapters will be kind of irregular. Could be a few hours, or a few days. It depends on what happens.

Thank you for reading!