The Girl Next Door

Chapter 11

"Let's start off easy." Mister Gilmore said once we took out our journals. "You guys will be writing in these all semester. And you'll be graded on it. You are in this class to work on your creative writing skills. When I read what you guys put on that page, I wanna feel something. Laugh, chills, tears...whatever. But it's your job to evoke it. Now, the theme for today is 'family'." He explained and I groaned quietly as soon as I heard the word. I noticed Harry shifted uncomfortably in his seat and it made me feel a little better. "You've got twenty minutes. Go!"

I looked at the blank page and cursed my father mentally for my current writer's block. I couldn't write about my family. How could I? More importantly, why would I? The only thing I wanna do is escape my last name and its reputation, and here I am, thinking about revealing every piece of truth I was desperately trying to keep buried. I took a deep breath as I finally started to write.

'Family is just a synonym of unwanted secrets.'

That's all I wrote. I tried to come up with more but, before I knew it, class was over and I had to hand in my journal to the teacher. I never had a bad grade in my entire life, and writing was my passion. But as I gave my journal, the unwanted feeling of failure surrounded me.

"So." I heard a female voice say behind my back. "I wonder what you talked about. Did you write a letter to Daddy? Did you remind him not to pick up the soap in the shower?" She smirked as I turned around. Jennifer Potter. The meanest and most cruel girl in our high school. Of course she was, she was also the prettiest and boys drooled over her.

"Jen, don't you have some other place to be? Like the back of a car maybe? Why are you taking this class anyway?" I asked as I grabbed my things. I heard Harry snicker as he grabbed his own stuff. Jen scoffed.

"Please, this class was the only one I knew I'd ace. If Gilmore fails me, well I guess I'll just have to stay in detention and show him just how much of a bad girl I can be. And then I'll be the one to set the classe's curve." She said as she tried to sound sensual but to me it just sounded like she was choking.

"You really think you could get him to sleep with you? You're more delusional that I thought!" Harry replied, inviting himself in our ever-so joyful conversation.

"Aw." Jennifer fake-pouted. "Are you jelly, Harry?" She asked in a baby voice. "I can always share my time." She winked.

"I'd rather watch paint dry." He replied sharply and I fought the urge to smile.

"Or maybe you could watch Kaleigh's life go in a downward spiral, just like her father's." she replied smirking. I took a deep breath before heading out of the class in a hurry, fighting the tears as I tried to steady my breathe. I was so focused I didn't notice someone was coming my way and I bumped right into them.

"Sorry." I muttered.

"Are you okay, Kayles?" Niall asked, steadying me.

"Sorry, I didn't know it was you." I admitted. "I was actually heading over to your locker."

"What's up?"

"Today." I simply answered. He looked at me confused and I continued. "You asked me when I wanted to visit my parents. Today. After school."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! Here's another chapter! Hope you enjoy!