The Girl Next Door

Chapter 13

"Are you okay?" Niall asked, rubbing my back. I swallowed and took a deep breathe, wiping my eyes as I took a step back.

"How much did you hear?" I asked looking at him instead of answering.

"Enough to know you think I'm great." He teased softly to change the atmosphere and I laughed shakily. It felt good.

"I'm sorry you had to see that." I said as we started walking back towards the exit.

"Hey, don't apologize. I'm sorry you have to go through that." He said.

"I'm sorry she had to go through that." I said. Niall simply nodded. He knew everything. He knew how my mother died. How it wasn't really a car accident like everyone thought. He knew that my dad was behind the wheel that night and they were victims of a hit and run. He lived. she didn't. He knew why they were victim of that, too. He knew all about my dad and his secret business on the black market. Niall also knew that my father sold drugs so that our family would always have food on the table, but he also knew that the drug business was a nasty business. So when my father owed more money than he made, he had to hide. Of course, this game of hide and seek didn't last very long. And after they got hit, my mother died on impact and my dad was fine but he got arrested for drug possession. He's been in prison ever since. Niall knew all that. But he shared the secret with me.

"Do you still-"

"Want to visit my father? Yes, more than ever. But if you wanna go back-"

"No! I'm going with you! There's no place I'd rather be right now!" He assured me as he put his arm around my shoulder.

"Did I ever thank you for existing?" I asked him, grinning. He smiled back.

"Nope, but I kinda figured I wasn't so bad to be around since you climb up my window every chance you get." He teased. I shoved him playfully and he laughed. "But seriously Kayles. I just need you to know that you're my best friend. And the last thing I want is for you to be invisible." He said and we both kind of just stopped walking as we faced each other.

"I...I just" I stuttered.

"I know, it gets hard sometimes. You don't talk about it often but I know it gets to you. But that's where I come in. You're not alone, Kayles. You never will be." He said and I smiled before taking a deep breath.

"Okay! Let's go to prison!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another one!