The Girl Next Door

Chapter 14

I took a deep breath, playing nervously with my hands as I waited for my father. A few seconds later, he took a seat on the other side of the glass, smiling sadly before picking up the phone. I did the same but stayed silent, waiting for him to speak but dreading the first words he would say.

"Hi, baby." He said softly and the lump in my throat returned. I was torn. Half of me needed so desperately to hear from him that he loved me and everything would be all right. But the other half wanted nothing to do with him. "Thanks for visiting me." He said. I gave him a tight fake smile.

"Lea's working like crazy." I said, unattached. "I am too."

"I know, baby. But only a year left and we'll be a family again." He said and I narrowed my eyes.

"A family?" I asked, disgusted at his words. "Do you know what's missing for us to be a family again?" My voice got harsh as my grip on the phone became harsher.

"Kaleigh, you know I didn't mean for-"

"Do you miss her?" I whispered, looking at the table because I couldn't bring myself to look at him. I heard him sigh before answering.

"Everyday."

"Do you miss me?" I asked and my voice got higher. Like I was five instead of fifteen.

"Of course I do. Your sister and you are the only reason I look forward of leaving this place." He said and, once again, I felt tears begin to form around my eyes.

"I can't." I muttered before hanging up the phone and leaving without looking back.

I walked towards Niall, and he chuckled as he took me in his arms again.

"Big day, huh?" He said and I nodded in his chest. I sniffled and pulled myself back before taking yet another deep breathe.

"I know it's not friday but do you think we could make an exception?" I asked him as we started walking.

"What movie?" He smiled.

"Whatever. I just don't wanna be alone tonight." I answered truthfully. Niall rubbed my back as we kept walking.

"Breakfast club it is." He answered and I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's chapter 14! Hope you enjoy!