The Girl Next Door

Chapter 15

We weren't even halfway through the movie when my cellphone started vibrating. It was my sister.

"Can't Liam cover the shop alone?" I asked when she asked me to once again cover someone else's shift.

"You know he's still in training." She answered and I sighed.

"Fine. I'll be there in ten." I said.

"Thank you." She answered and I could tell I lifted a huge weight off her shoulder.

"I'll see you tomorrow morning?" Niall smirked, guessing that I had to leave. I nodded, getting up from the bed.

"Thanks again for today." I said, walking towards the window.

"Don't mention it!" He called out, as I was already halfway out.

Working at the pawnshop wasn't so bad. Especially with Liam. Since he was always so nice and clumsy, I actually looked forward to go

"Hey Liam." I greeted as I walked through the door.

"Hey, Kaleigh. Sorry you had to come in." He said and I shrugged.

"It's not your fault." I said. "How have you been holding up by your own?" I asked sarcastically looking around the empty shop. He chuckled before answering.

"You're the first person I'm seeing since coming in here." He said and and started laughing. It may have been funny if I didn't know this was my sister and I's main source of income. If the shop didn't work, then we didn't have money. I joined in on the laughter, pretending to think it was actually humorous before changing subjects.

"How did you like the first day of school?"

It was his turn to shrug. "You know. School is school. But Ive got some pretty cool classes so I guess I can't complain. What about you?" He asked and I nodded once.

"I've got creative writing." I simply answered. My other classes were boring. Math, science and history. I resisted the urge to sigh as I thought about the class I once thought I'd excel in. It was a very bad start.

I didn't have much time to think about it any longer, a client walked in.

"Okay grasshopper. Show me what you can do." I whispered teasingly in Liam's ear before stepping back and watching his face turn bright red with nervousness, making me laugh.