The Girl Next Door

Chapter 16

"Good morning class!" Mister Gilmore called out. I was once again seated besides Harry, but this time he decided to keep the sarcastic comments to himself, much to my relief. "Before we start, I want to share something with you guys concerning last week's theme." He said, leaning against his desk as he held a journal in his hands. I gulped as he opened it to the first page, praying silently it was someone else's journal.

"Family is just a synonym of unwanted secrets." He read and I sank into my seat. "Now this," he started, closing the book and waving it in the air. "Is what I call powerful writing." He said and I froze. "You see, the author of this entry didn't write anything else. And although I shouldn't be encouraging this because I know some of you will probably try to slack off now, but this one-liner says it all. The pain behind it is fairly obvious." He explained and I couldn't help the blush that crept on my face. "I won't be reading journal entries every week. I just wanted to show you guys just how much a few words can go a long way."

"Anyways, today's theme is stress." He announced and I sighed. I knew a thing or two about that department. As Mister Gilmore slowly handed out our journals, Harry leaned in on my side.

"Too bad this week's theme isn't 'I'm stuck in the friend zone with the boy next door', I'm pretty sure he'd make an exception and read your entry again next week." He whispered with a smirk. I just glared at him. Was it that obvious that Mister Gilmore read my entry? I didn't even have time to think about a comeback, our teacher gave us our journals and we could start writing.

I glanced at my right, where Harry was seated and I noticed he was already writing. All of a sudden, I got curious. What could a guy like Harry possibly be stressed out about? And what did he write last week about family? Why did I even care?