The Girl Next Door

Chapter 19

I was sitting quietly on the boat. I couldn't actually fish, the rules were pretty clear, but I loved being there with them even as a simple spectator. This year though, it was different. The atmosphere was usually so peaceful, fun and just all around positive. But this year, a very present vibe of stress, tension and ever-so-obvious constant disappointment was all that could be felt in this loud silence. Harry's dad kept huffing in annoyance at his own son, and I've seen a side of Harry I've never seen before.

"What difference does it make?" Harry asked through gritted teeth at his father, trying desperately to maintain his cool as he once again through his fish hook in the water.

"You just don't get it, do you?" His father asked, visibly frustrated. This was a new side of him, too. "If you don't hold it right, you'll never catch a fish." He explained sharply. They were so lost in their own world, they seemed to forget other people were actually on the boat.

I tried to block them out as I looked over at Niall and his dad on the other side of the boat. They were standing side by side, quietly fishing and trying to, just like me, ignore the situation.

"Is there anything you can do right?" Mister Styles asked and Harry looked like he'd been punched to the stomach. He shook his head as he recomposed himself. And then he cleared his throat, pretending nothing just happened. Mister Styles huffed for what seemed like the thousandth time before grabbing yet another beer. I had lost count after the fifth one. But it was only ten in the morning. Was it always like this? How could he possibly look so professional at work?

"I was right you know," his father spat drunkenly in Harry's ear "we should've stopped after your sister. At least she's doing something with her life!" He exclaimed.

"Well, by all means 'dad', enlighten me. What was she doing that was so great at my age?" Harry snapped back, still focused on the water in front of him.

"She was getting more than a C average on her grade cards for starters." He shot back. Harry scoffed, dropping his line.

"You know what? I'm sorry I'm such a screw up! I'm sorry I'm ruining your precious goddamned reputation. But what about you, dad? Have you ever stopped to think that, maybe if you helped me out with a math homework once in a while when you get home instead of walking straight to the liquor cabinet, we wouldn't be here!" Harry yelled out in anger and I looked down on the ground. I hated this. Being trapped here. I had enough of my own family drama.

"Don't you dare blame me for your grades! You're lazy Harry, and you're not smart either. You were doomed from the start." His father slurred. I looked up, mouth open wide. How could he speak to his own child like that? Right in front of everyone.

Harry looked like a five year old who just had a nightmare. He didn't have time to recompose himself this time, Niall and his dad made their way over to Harry and his father.

"Hey, guys, this is supposed to be fun." Niall's dad laughed nervously as he put his arms around both Harry and his dad. "So why don't we just focus on having a good day. Harry, you were doing great. Just keep doing what you were doing and Steven, maybe Niall could use your help on the other side?" Everyone nodded silently and went back to the task at hand.

And as the silence grew, my mind was screaming a thousand questions.