The Girl Next Door

Chapter 24

"No." I pressed. "No way." I said, again, crossing my arms.

"Com-"

"Don't you even dare tell me to 'come on', Niall. We laugh at those people. There is just no way that I am going to that dance!" I exclaimed, getting up from the chair before I started pacing.

"But it looks fun." He pouted.

"It's formal. That means suit and tie." I said as I lifted my eyebrow, trying to make a point.

"I really think you'd look better in a dress but-"

"Ugh!" I interrupted him with a groan.

"One night won't kill you." He coaxed.

"What's with you anyway? Why do you wanna go so bad?"

"I heard Andrea would be there." He admitted quietly and my heart thumped.

"You...you like her?" I asked barely above a whisper. Why did I sound so hurt?

"I mean, I don't know. We have a few classes together and she's really nice, you know?" He practically gushed and I could only nod. I felt numb. What the hell was wrong with me? "Is everything okay?" I heard Niall ask, which made me snap out of my trance.

"What? Yeah sure, I was just...um...wondering what I'm going to wear to that stupid dance." I said as I tried to smile but it came more like a grimace. Niall's face, on the other hand, looked like a kid on Christmas morning.

"Really?" He asked excitedly. "We're going?"

"Yes. Now stop gushing before I change my mind." I said as I tried to sound as if I was joking but I failed miserably. Why did this hurt so much?

"You truly are the best friend I could ever ask for." He smiled and I swallowed thickly before I once again tried to tease him.

"I thought Harry was your best friend."

"Well yeah, but it's different. With you it feels like home." He shrug, and those words haunted me for the rest of the day.