The Girl Next Door

Chapter 26

"You're going to the dance?" I heard a deep voice behind me as I was walking to my first class. When I turned around, I saw Harry and my eyes narrowed.

"I thought we weren't talking." I said and he smirked.

"That got boring." He replied. I ignored the butterfly in my stomach. What was happening to me? One minute I'm buying a dress to go to a friggin' dance with Niall and the next my heart melts at three insignificant words Harry said. They were so different yet so important in my life. Niall was safe, he was my home. But Harry challenged me and I loved every second of it. What was I turning into?

"You get bored too easily." I replied as we kept walking towards our Creative Writing class.

"Thank you. Doesn't answer my question though." He said.

"Yes, I'm going to the dance." I sighed.

"Why?"

"What do you mean why?"

"I asked first. Besides you can't answer my question with another question." He said without missing a beat.

"Niall invited me." I said and I swear I felt him falter a bit.

"Of course. Well I'm going too." He said.

"You? The dance? Why?"

"I'm offended, Kaleigh." He said sarcastically, putting a hand over his heart to add some dramatic effect.

"Well get over it. Do you even have a date?" I asked as I tried to sound as if I didn't care when, deep down, I dreaded the answer.

"I have two actually." He answered proudly and my heart sank.

"Really? Who?" I asked, trying to recover as quickly as I could.

"There's lefty and then there's righty." He said with a cheeky grin, waving around his two hands. I scrunched up my face, hiding my relief.

"That's disgusting." I said as we finally got to class.

"You love it." He smirked. I rolled my eyes as we took our usual seats.

"Morning class!" Mister Gilmore called out, breaking up out chatter.