The Girl Next Door

Chapter 27

"You look so beautiful, Kaleigh." My sister's eyes welled up as she fully took in my make over. "Stunning, really." She insisted and I rolled my eyes, feeling uncomfortable as I crossed my arms vulnerably. The simple spaghetti-strap black dress was just above my knees, my hair was up and my face was full of make-up (all thanks to my dearest sister). This dance definitely seemed like a bad idea now.

"Thanks." I muttered.

"Now, for the final touch." She said, taking out some lipstick from her bag. My eyes went wide.

"Lea, please." I begged. "You know I don't do-"

"Don't even think about finishing that sentence. Just let me pamper you for once. Please?" She said and I sighed, quietly letting her win.

The truth was that I was actually enjoying myself. This is what a real sister relationship should be like. But Lea kind of took over the 'mom' role over time, and moments like these were rare.

"There." She said with a satisfied smile as she put away the lipstick. She grabbed my hand and led me to a mirror, standing behind me as I looked at myself.

"I look so different." I whispered, not sure if I'm liking it or not.

"You look like a lady." Lea answered with a smirk. I looked down as I tried to hide my blush.
"And here's one last thing." She said, going over to the medicine cabinet and pulling out a box. When she opened it, there was a beautiful silver necklace. "I want you to wear this." She said, already putting it on me. "It was mom's." she said quietly and it was my turn to choke on tears.

"I...I can't wear this Lea."

"Why not? She would want you to." She said, trying to prove a point. I was about to argue when I heard a knock on the door. My breathe caught in my throat.

Niall was here.