The Girl Next Door

Chapter 30

The night went on, and besides from Harry throwing a few crude and perverted remarks my way, the night hadn't been so bad. Niall was a perfect gentleman, and although I always knew him as the nice boy next door and as the best friend a girl could ever ask for, I welcomed this new side of him with open arms. I felt good, I felt safe. But then everything changed.

"Oh my god. She's here." He choked on his words, clutching his drink a little tighter as he looked at the main entrance. I followed his gaze and my face fell at the sight. Andrea. "What do I do?"

"Calm down." I snapped a little too angrily over the loud music. But it worked because he took a deep breathe.

"Dude, don't get all mushy at the sight of a girl in front of your date. Who does that?" Harry said arrogantly. Niall glared at him and I think it's the first time I've ever seen him do something remotely mean.

"Just go." I said. "Go talk to her." I said, ignoring the feeling of pure sadness in the pit of my stomach and flashing him my best reassuring smile.

"Catch up with you later?" He asked as he got up, looking nervous. I gave him a tight-lipped smile as I nodded slowly, and he was out of sight.

"I have to admit," Harry started before I had the chance to get lost in thought "this was painful to watch." He said, unfazed and I couldn't even bring myself to glare at him. "So let me get this straight. You came here when you hate school dances, you wore a dress when you hate to wear them and your date is gone with another girl. For a smart girl, your sense of logic sometimes astonishes me. Didn't it occur to you somewhere in all that mental planning I know you did that this might not be the brightest idea?" He asked and I sighed.

I used to be that girl that never cried. And since the last few weeks, it feels like it's all I've been doing. My eyes once again watered as I looked away, trying to think about a comeback but I had nothing. This was pathetic. I was pathetic.

"I need some fresh air." I whispered as I got up and left the gym, not bothering to look around. I knew exactly who was here now...and that's why I needed to get away.