The Girl Next Door

Chapter 31

When I went outside, I ran towards the edge of the lake. I couldn't hold it in any longer, I let the tears fall. It's not like anyone would see me here. It was cold and it was dark, everyone was inside...except me. Why was I here? To try and pretend I was really Niall's date? Or have Harry give me a second look? Who was I kidding? I was and always would be the girl next door.

"Kaleigh!" I heard someone call out and I froze. I knew that voice.

"Harry?" I asked in a small voice, too much of a coward to turn around and show him how much this night had hurt me. I tried to wipe my tears as best as I could without being obvious about it.

"Look, I didn't mean to, you know, make you run or anything." He said, unsure of himself. His tone made me turn around, but I stayed silent. "I just don't get you, sometimes. You look beautiful. Yet you waste your time trying to get someone who would never look at you the way you deserved to be looked at." He said and my heart thumped. What was he saying? "I'm not so good with words, okay?" He admitted, slightly annoyed at the fact that I hadn't spoken yet. "Just come inside, please? I promise it'll be worth it." He said.

"Why?" I asked, whispering because I didn't trust my voice.

"Because...you look beautiful tonight. And I wanna make you feel exactly the way you look." He said and that made me mad.

"So that's why? I over-dress one night and all of a sudden I'm worth more than a sarcastic comment from you?" I asked, my voice raising with every word. "Well, guess what! Tomorrow, the make-up, the dress and the hair will all be gone and I'll be back to being me. So you can save your pity for someone else, Harry."

"It's not-"

"No!" I interrupted. "You don't get to lie to me, okay?" I asked in a scream. I was hysterical. "You don't get to pretend that this is more than just-"

He cut me off with a kiss.