The Girl Next Door

Chapter 34

"Is this the part where you rape me?" I asked as we finally stopped in front of an old abandoned cabin. We'd been walking in the woods for a good twenty minutes now, and my grip on Harry's hand had been getting tighter with every step. Why was he taking me here.

"I'm not gonna rape you. Come on." He said, tugging on my hand gently. We got in and he lit a candle before putting it on the table.

"Where are we?" I asked, confused.

"This is where I come often. To think and stuff." He sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets shyly as he kicked softly the ground with his feet, staring at it.

"Think and stuff? What's so important to think about that you have to come in the woods to do it?" I asked.

"I don't know." He shrugged. "When it gets too much at home, when I've lost the count of how many beers my father had or when I'm once again not good enough. I just come here to think or take my mind off things. It's peaceful here." He said.

"Why are you showing me this?"

"Because I've pictured you here a thousand times." He admitted and I was shocked by not only his confession but his quiet, vulnerable tone too. "Of course, I never thought you'd ever actually come willingly, but it was nice, you know? The thought that maybe you'd wanna know one of my secrets." He said. "And you know, I really did picture you here!" He exclaimed, his mood drifting dramatically to a playful one.

"Really?" I asked smiling. "Explain." I muttered shyly, the smile still planted on my face.

"I don't know. I just kind of pictures you writing..." He trailed off.

"Writing?"

"Yeah. I watch you in Creative Writing you know." He said. "Not in a creepy way, but I just...it relaxes me to look at you somehow. The way you're so visibly at ease when that pen is in your hand or how even a hurricane couldn't pull you off of your trance. And it's weird how it's the only time I actually get to stare at you." He said and I felt myself blush.

"What do you mean?"

"You don't think I pick up on these things? I know you don't mind if people look at you as long as you or the other person is talking. But you can't stand being stared at. It makes you blush and you even start to shake slightly if the person has been staring long enough."

"What else have you picked on?" I asked dumbfounded. What else was I supposed to ask?

"I know you hate the number thirteen and you'll go to any extent to not have this number in your life. Whether it's to read an extra chapter or lift the volume up a bit. I know that you don't like olives except when it's in a salad. And I know you twirl your hair around your finger whenever you're nervous or tired or bored. I know lots of things, Kaleigh. And that's why I keep falling harder." He said, looking at the ground.

My breath caught in my throat and I don't remember walking towards him but I did. And then, before I could even grasp what was happening, my hands had pulled his face towards mine and I was kissing him.