The Girl Next Door

Chapter 37

*Harry's POV*

I was slowly making my way over to Niall's house. I was so determined when I left my house and stole my dad's car keys. Yet the closer I got, the more I was becoming nervous. And although I'd never admit it to Kaleigh, I think I got why she was waiting so much. I turned on to his street, but I stepped on the gas when I passed in front of his house instead of breaking. I sighed in frustration as I gripped the wheel tighter.

"Get a grip, geez." I muttered to myself, annoyed at my own pathetic behavior. I made a few turns and before I knew it, I was rolling down his street again. This time I forced myself to break in front of his house. I let out a few shaky breaths, mentally preparing myself as I still had a tight grip on the wheel. I finally got out of the car, knocking on the front door. A few seconds later, Mrs.Horan opened it.

"Hi, honey." She greeted with a warm smile. They were such a perfect family. I hated it.

"Hi, is Niall here?" I asked as I tried to sound as polite as I could.

"He's up in his room." She said, gesturing me to come in.

"Thanks." I muttered, heading upstairs without a second glance. Once I got in front of Niall's room, I hesitated to even put my hand on the door-handle. I rolled my eyes at my own behavior and finally opened the door without knocking.

"Hey, Harry." Niall greeted as his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Hey." I said, shoving my hands in my pocket as I looked at the floor.

"Are you...okay? You've been kinda weird all week." Niall admitted and that made me look at him.

"Yeah, man, I'm fine. I've just been out of it lately. School's been stressful." I lied smoothly. "Anyway, what's up? How've you been?" I asked as I took a seat on the bed. He shrugged and sat on his desk chair.

"Nothing much. I've been kind of hitting it off with Andrea lately." He said and I snapped my mouth closed, remembering the night Kaleigh cried because of her, because of him.

"Great." I replied dryly.

"Thanks?" He said, unsure. "So what's up with you? Why are you here?" He asked gently.

"Can't a guy visit his best friend?" I asked and he just gave me a look, which made me sigh in a defeated manner. "I just..." I started, and then I looked at him and it made me stop. That guy had been there for me even when he didn't know it. He never really knew my family background but he never questioned it when I just showed up and left a few days later. And I know there will always be this unspoken bond between him and Kaleigh. Who was I to step in the middle of that?

"Just what?" Niall asked, pulling me from my thought and urging me to finish my sentence.

"I just...wanted to ask if you've heard that new song." I cowardly lied as I fumbled through my phone, looking for a song that could be worth it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for everything! :)