The Girl Next Door

Chapter 38

*Harry's POV*

"So, how did it go?" Kaleigh asked nervously through the phone as soon as she answered. I was in my car, still in Niall's driveway, but I promised I'd call her once I got out of there.

"Well he liked the song." I said.

"The song?" She repeated confused.

"Yeah. He never heard it before." I continued.

"You didn't tell him, did you?" She asked but she already knew.

"He's like the brother I never had." I tried to defend myself.

"What are we gonna do now?" She asked frustrated.

"Well now that I tried, it's your turn again?" I said, unsure.

"You tried once! I've been trying for a week!"

"Please, babe?" I asked, hoping the nickname would change her mind. She was silent for a moment and I mentally cursed myself, thinking I may have crossed an invisible line.

"Ok." She said quietly. "I'll try again tomorrow."

"Maybe we could do it together?" I asked suddenly.

"Calm down there, Satan. Don't you think that's a bad idea?" She said.

"I don't know!" I groaned. "I just want him to know so we can go on with our lives and kiss you in public if I want to." I admitted and I faintly heard her chuckle.

"What if he's mad?" She asked ever so softly. I pursed my lips before answering, trying desperately to stay calm.

"Why would he be mad?" I asked.

"I don't know." She admitted. "We have been sneaking around for a week and we're his best friends."

"He won't be mad." I assured her.

"How do you know?"

"Because nobody could be mad at your pretty face." I said with a smirk and I imagine her rolling her eyes with a shy smile.

"I have to get back to work." She said.

"Ok, remind Liam to keep his hands to himself." I told her seriously even though I was kidding...mostly.

"Yes dear." She joked. "I'll try to talk to him tomorrow." She said quietly. We talked for a few more seconds and then she hung up. I drove away slowly, kicking myself mentally for being such a coward.