The Girl Next Door

Chapter 41

*Harry's pov*
When I left Kaleigh's house, I had no doubt in my mind about what was my next step. This day had been a ridiculous roller coaster and I was about to add to it but I didn't care. One minute she's telling me she loves me, and the next she's crying because of him, of all people, again. I walked up to the front door and was kind of relieved when I saw him answer, it avoided the awkwardness of pretending to be calm while asking his parents if I could see him.

"I thought I made my point clea-" He started but I interrupted him...with my fist in his face. He let out a strangled yelp, and it made me feel good.

"Hadn't made my point across though." I said, looking at his dumbfounded face as he held his eye.

"I thought we were friends, man." He said and I could see the sincerity in his eyes, well...eye. I sighed, almost thinking about spitting out a half-sincere apology (which would've been completely out of character because let's face it...I'm not very good at saying sorry) but then I remembered why I was here. My face hardened again before I answered.

"That got boring." I said, repeating something I'd said to Kaleigh but in a totally different context. "Especially since you keep breaking the one thing special in my life." I said and he actually had the nerve to laugh.

"Since when is she so special to you?" He scoffed. When did Niall become the arrogant jerk?

"For way longer than she ever was to you. But then again, she never really was special in your eyes, was she?" I said and I felt like a stupid over-emotional and cheesy teenager but I meant everything I said.

"How do you know?" He asked, still covering his eye. "You were so busy being an ass to her while I was her shoulder to lean on, and all of a sudden you guys are in love and all? How the hell am I supposed to react to that?" He ask and that made me smirk.

"Maybe the way she reacted at the dance." I answered before turning around and leaving, hearing him protest but I answered with my middle finger.