The Girl Next Door

Chapter 42

*Harry's POV*
"Are you crazy?!" I heard a voice yell at me in the hallway. Here we go.

"Don't." I simply said, taking Kaleigh's hand but she lets go, which made me roll my eyes.

"He has a black eye, you know." She said as she stopped walking and crossed her arms. I stopped a few steps too late, so I took a few steps back to be by her side again before I gave her an incredulous look.

"He's lucky that's all he's got." I simply answered as I started walking again, knowing she would follow me, and she did.

"Why did you do it?" She asked. I took a glance at her before answering.

"I don't like when you're sad. He made you sad. Problem solved." I explained, shrugging. She scoffed.

"Problem most definitely NOT solved. You're the one who's lucky he didn't press charges." She said and that made me falter for half a second but I shrugged it off. "He could've, you know." She pressed and that made me sigh.

"But he didn't. So obviously you're worked up over nothing." I said and I could feel her glare on me. "Why are you so pissed about this anyway? The guy blatantly told you that he never wanted to see you again. So you're right, the problem isn't COMPLETELY solved but it's kinda halfway there. I heard he had to wear a patch for a few weeks." I told her, hoping it would light up her mood, boy was I wrong.

"Is this your idea of a joke? Make a pun out of this horrible situation?"

"Don't you think you're being a little dramatic?" I asked her.

"No, being dramatic is punching your best friend when he only voiced his well deserved opinion on a subject." She answered angrily and it was my turn to scoff.

"Okay, let's break down your last statement, shall we?" I asked with a fake smile as we stopped in front of the class. I glanced at the clock, we still had a good fifteen minutes to kill before class started. "First of all, that guy stopped being my best friend the moment I saw you cry and I knew he was the reason behind it. Second of all, he didn't just 'voice' his opinion, he threw a ladder down just to prove a point. And third of all, his opinion will never be important enough to change this relationship." I said almost aggressively. She stood quiet for a moment and I tried to catch my breath.

"Maybe it already did." She said just above a whisper and for a second, I felt my whole world shatter. "I mean, you can blame him all you want, but he's still kind of the reason we're together today isn't it?" She explained a little louder with a shy smile and my heart started to beat again.

"Whatever." I said as we walked in class. "I still would have found a way to get in your pants." I said and she gasped. "Heart!" I exclaimed. "I meant get in your heart. Damn autocorrect." I said and it made her laugh, which made me smile.

I swear I lived for moments like these.