The Girl Next Door

Chapter 44

The drive towards the movie store was pretty silent. I kept thinking about what Lea said to me and I'm pretty sure she kept thinking about what to rent. When we got there, we did what Niall and I would always do. Start at the end of the store and check out every aisle way too slowly.

"What about this one?" I suggested, holding up a thriller.

"I actually like to sleep at night, Kayles. Oh but how about this one?" She asked, waving a kids movie in front of me. I gave her an incredulous look she threw her hands up in defeat but remained silent as she put the movie back in its place.

"What did you and Niall usually rent?" She asked and I tried to shrug carelessly, but the pain in my heart was very present.

"I don't know. We used to watch movies that we could maybe remotely relate to without being too obvious about it I guess. But then again, there were times when the movie he picked was so random there couldn't have been any link." I explained, the last part referring to when he rented that chick flick. Why did it feel like so long ago? My sister gave me a confused look.

"That sounds so boring." She sighed.

"It was and it wasn't. A part of me was so accustomed to it, it kind of became like breathing, you know? But then the other part of me, the child part I guess, thought there was something so special and so magical about it."

"That's because it was routine and it gave you a sense of 'normal', the kind you don't really have with our family." She explained softly and I knew she was right. I looked at the ground because it was becoming too much. "He'll come around, Kayles." She assured just above a whisper. I smiled at her, a pathetic attempt to prove that I was okay. We continued to walk the aisles in silence and I was so focused on the movie titles I didn't really look where I was going. So when I bumped into someone, it made me jump.

"I'm so sor-" I started and I stopped when I looked up. Niall. "Sorry." I muttered. He just shook his head slowly before brushing past me, not looking back. Lea looked at me with a sympathetic look.

"Maybe this was a bad idea." She said, dragging me out of the store.